The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hints on plate stance

Yesterday in a 15 year old city league game (basically the last kids cut from JV and select travel teams) I took two untouched fastballs to my left forearm (thus demonstrating why the two catchers did not make their JV team). I can't remember EVER being hit like that in a high school or higher select game.
Short of keeping my hands behind my back is there anything in a stance I can develop for this age group to keep from getting whacked like that?
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Not much you can do. Sometimes the pitch is delivered, the batter misses it, the catcher misses it and the only thing it hits is US!
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Well .....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Yesterday in a 15 year old city league game (basically the last kids cut from JV and select travel teams) I took two untouched fastballs to my left forearm (thus demonstrating why the two catchers did not make their JV team). I can't remember EVER being hit like that in a high school or higher select game.
Short of keeping my hands behind my back is there anything in a stance I can develop for this age group to keep from getting whacked like that?

You could adopt the box stance looking over the catcher's head. This way, the catcher will (should) absorb most of the hits, and you are likely only to get hit in a protected area.

You will also hurt your chances of advancement as this is not the modern, recommended stance taught by clinicians and approved by evaluators.

Just my $.02 (About all it is worth)

Doug
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

There was something to be said for the balloon, that's for sure. But doing the math quickly, PWL, I think I'll buy a dozen chemical ice packs at $.99 each rather than a $50 balloon.
And give said catchers a VERY wide strike zone when they're at bat!
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't remember EVER being hit like that in a high school or higher select game.
i would strongly advise against putting your hands behind your back unless you are happy with working this league. chances are you wont move up much higher, and you wont get many more "big" games.

getting hit like that happens here and there at every level. last year in a college game i took an untouched fastball off my bicep after quite a bit of a mixup. 85+ to a locked arm isnt the best feeling ive had in my life.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

You're absolutely right, Brian. No way am I going to work with my hands behind my back. Besides being terrible form it would expose my elbows. I'd rather take a shot off my Popeye-like forearms than the bone of my elbow.
Thanks for all the help. I guess this is the hazard of "moonlighting" during Fed season.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

You could possibly put your hands behind your knees to protect them. Check out the thread somewhere around here that has the umpire getting hit in the cup. Although hilarious, he's doing the stance i'm describing- which can protect your hands / lower forearm.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

this is the video he is talking about: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Aefp_Hehzaw&search=umpire
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last year my pinky finger on my left hand was broken in a college game by a fastball that was not touched by the touched by the catcher. He said the pitcher crossed him up, he was expecting a curve ball, and I told him that was no excuse for not even getting a glove on it.

This year, early in the year, I took a high and tight fastball to the face mask that was not touched by the catcher, and an inning later I took an inside fastball directly to the thigh and it was the same catcher both times and he did not get a glove on either.

You can move out of the slot and get behind the catcher more, but aside from that you are going to have sorry catchers at any age level. I changed to the GD stance after my pinky was broken and it keeps my fingers from getting broken and is a very good stance for other reasons also.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I use the GD and my thigh (batter-side) gets hit more than any other place. I dont get a lot of shots off the mask, perhaps because the GD puts you up higher than some other stances. Fortunately, the thigh is a high-fat area that can absorb punishment better than a bony area would.

If you wish to effectively call pitches, you are going to take shots. It's inevitable....some positions are better than others, but NONE assure hit-free games. You have to decide if you are willing to stand in there and get hit from time to time.

If not, quit now.

Last edited by LMan; Mon May 01, 2006 at 09:54am.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Actually the getting hit doesn't bother me - it's like I'm catching again!
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 03:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
i would strongly advise against putting your hands behind your back unless you are happy with working this league. chances are you wont move up much higher, and you wont get many more "big" games.

getting hit like that happens here and there at every level. last year in a college game i took an untouched fastball off my bicep after quite a bit of a mixup. 85+ to a locked arm isnt the best feeling ive had in my life.
There is nothing wrong with dropping your arms behind your legs when you lock in. I see many MLB guys doing it, and while you still get hit on the arms, you don't get hit on the wrist and hands.

At higher levels, like Varsity HS and higher, I like the scissors, I lock in, and don't care about getting hit as much, because you don't. Anything lower, I am in the heel-toe slot, and my hands go behind my legs.

Brian, 30 years from now when you are my age, and have absorbed as many injuries from the baseball as I have, you may have a different appreciation for keeping your forearms out of the way.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Steve:

I don't think Brian is saying it's a bad idea to lock-in behind the knees. I've seen many decent umpires use this lock-in mechanism. I think what he's saying is it's poor mechanics to put your hands behind your back without locking in at all. Everytime I watch an umpire do this his head height is extremely inconsistant and they tend to drop lower and lower as the game progresses. Personally, I like to take a small bar stool behind the dish to lock-in with. I would do it more often if the pitchers would quit spilling my beer!

Tim.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

You could always use this:

http://store.rawlings.com/product/in...entPage=family

Old Mon May 01, 2006, 03:43pm

I used one of those on a particularly bad LL Seniors League one time on the advice of my assignor, who lent me his ancient raft protector. I loved the protection it provided, but did not care for running with it. I'll take my chances with an inside model.

To contribute to the Let's Get Steve A New All-Star CPU28 PRO Protector Fund, write to........
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25