The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 19, 2002, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Joel talked about an extra-wide stance in an earlier thread? Is it wider fore-to-aft or side-to-side? How does this stance help you with the outside corners of the plate? Are you sitting up higher?
I'm 6'3" and try to get down low.... But there are times when I feel like I'm guessing on those outside pitches. This leads me to wonder if I'm getting too low...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2002, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
At 6' 3, you ought to give this a try - I'm a little over 6'1 and have found this to greatly save stress on knees. Work on this in front of a mirror before trying it in a game. Essentially, you take the normal heel-toe stance and make your feet about twice as wide. That's kinda why it's referred to as the double-wide stance. It means that you will not have to drop down as far to get your chin just aboce the catcher's head and that will help your knees. But be aware that your thighs will be tight for a couple of days after using this stance the first time. You still position your body the same way - belly button pointing toward the outside front corner and your inside ear about on the inside edge of the plate.

Now, if you are "guessing" on low outside pitches, chances are that you are too low and not able to see through the catcher. For whatever stance you use - and are having this problem - raise up a little.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2002, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

I am 6'2", and use the indentical stance to the one that Steve is talking about. To say that the first time you use this your thighs "will be tight" is an understatement, but as you become more conditioned and more acclimated to it, you will find that it does do wonders for your knees, back and ankles.

I would also have to agree that if you are guessing on those outside pitches, then you are too low. When I am in the slot I make sure to set my eyes at the top of the strike zone, and from this position I can see all of the plate and all of the strike zone.

Scott
Old Tue Mar 19, 2002, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

I do seem to remember my thighs being a bit tight last year (I switched about 10 games into the season).......

This year I started with it right off..........and it was my hamstrings and hips that were sore.........

Soreness was gone in a couple of days.........

Joel
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I am 6'4" and i also use the dbl wide stance and like it real well. One question it seems in the the older ages catchers tend to move way inside on inside pitchs and crowd the batter and take away the slot how do the rest of you handle this?
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Terry,
You have two things to do when the catcher moves way inside. First, tell the catcher that you need to be able to see the plate and would really appreciate it if she'd let you. A smart catcher will move. Your second option is to raise yourself higher than normal - it's not as good, but it is workable. Now, if a catcher will not move, I would "ball" anything close on that inside corner. When asked, I would tell the catcher that she took away the slot and I can't call a strike when I can't see it. Remember, you said you were dealing with older catchers - they have enough skill & knowledge to know what to do.

Most of the more skilled catchers I see will move only their glove - not their body in giving a target.