The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Plate Stance

I live way out in the boonies. Cable TV has not been introduced where I live and I am too cheap to get a satelite dish, so I do not get to see much baseball on TV.

Yesterday, I splurged and ate lunch in the big city on the way to a game. The TV in the restaurant was turned to the Reds and Red Sox game. When the PU dropped into his stance, he had his hands extended toward the pitcher, with the fists loosly clinched, slightly below his shoulders.

I had never seen anything like that before. Is it something that has been around a while? Is it something new? Does it help with balance? Does it help with defining the top of the zone? Is it just his stance?
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
As you watch more games, and different umpires, you will see particular characteristics to their stance, that make it personal for them.

Everyone starts out (hopefully) with one of the 'textbook' stances, and then develops that into what feels most comfortable to them. I don't know of any advantage having your arm(s) out gives you, but many umpires do it.

I personally use the Gerry Davis system, by the book. I have always liked to keep my appendages close to me, so they don’t get tangled up in anybody, and to reduce the changes of getting hit. I do High School ball, and having an arm out in front actually blocks the ball from hitting my chest protector, which gets hit a lot. In the Pro’s, very little gets through, and you can do things that wouldn’t be quite as safe in the lower levels. But there is a lot to be learned by watching the Pro’s. Just remember, their world is usually much smaller than ours, and their mechanics reflect that. How fun it would be to always work 4 man mechanics.

Nick