The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:02am
Do not give a damn!!

NCAA--Illegal Pitch??

I was working a college series this weekend and we had a little situation the first game of that series. I was working the plate and after the first or second batter was at the plate, the head coach who was standing in the 3rd base coaching box starts complaining about the motion of the picture. His contention was the pitcher was doing a softball move which is typically called a “crow hop.” It was really hard to see that from my position from behind the plate and his motion was goofy, but nothing illegal from my judgment. I looked closely at the motion during warm-ups and I had a much better look from the side. Also this pitcher had pitched 3 or 4 times before and to my knowledge no one said anything back then. But this conference is spread out over about 4 states, so it is possible this was an issue but was not reported.

The pitcher was coming off the plate as he pushed off the rubber, but kind of dragged his foot as his arm was coming forward to pitch. He never replanted or took a full step after leaving the rubber. It is really hard to describe, but his motion was funny and had a natural hitch in his motion that was consistent the entire game. He did not do this some of the time, he did it all of the time.

This was such an issue, the coaches of the opposing team came to us before our game on Sunday and talked about what the rule was. The problem is there is no rule that supports this was illegal that I can find. All the rules says is they must keep their foot on the rubber as they push off or start their motion to pitch. It does not say they must stay on the rubber at all times no matter what or they commit a illegal pitch.

For the record there was no protest to the game other than the little complaining before the 3rd game. There was even a fan that confronted my partner outside of our locker room about the issue.

So can anyone show me a rule where it says this is illegal in any way?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I had a pitcher do this when I worked pro ball, we let it go and the evaluator in the stands agreed with our ruling to the coach that the pitcher started and did not stop. He was incontact with the rubber when he started and it was just part of his natural pitching motion. He did it every time.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

JR: I've seen this a few times over the years in college ball. Nothing in NCAA to prohibit it, and, imo, no advantage not intended by rule is gained by it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

JRutledge,

If I am picturing/understanding the situation correctly, the issue is whether or not it is legal for the pitcher's pivot foot to lose contact with the rubber prior to him releasing the pitch.

If that is the case, I would suggest that virtually ALL pitchers at ALL levels do this virtually every time they throw a pitch.

Some "drag" their pivot foot off the rubber as they land their stride foot and push off the rubber to deliver, some bring their foot into the air, e.g.:

You will never see an MLB, NCAA, or High School pitcher with his foot still in contact with the rubber at the time he releases the pitch.

If you're talking about something else, my apologies for interrupting.

JM
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct, but it is funny to see a guy kinda of jump forward at the begining of his motion, a push off of sorts and not the natural, comes off as part of the follow thru.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is a good example of what I was talking about. The pitcher in my game had a drag, skip thing going on with pivot foot. This picture the player’s foot is completely off the ground, but I would not be surprised if Buehrle touches the ground with that leg either as he releases the ball or right before he releases the ball.

I told the coaches I have almost never seen a pitcher that was in complete contact with the rubber as they throw the ball. Then I got the "I have been coach........." and the "I played D1 ball........." BS you tend to get when they want you to call something. I think they wanted to get into the head of the pitcher.

BTW, the game was 1-0 with the visiting team winning (the pitcher that was accused of pitching illegally). Both teams were at the bottom of the conferences as well. I must also make clear this is a wood bat conference. The second game of the double header the score was 12-6.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 08:23pm
Veteran College Umpire

What conference was it, if I may ask? This might be a great YouTube opportunity for some enterprising filmmaker...

JJ
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
What did the BU have to say about the pitcher's motion? He'd probably have a better view of a hop or replanting of the pitcher's foot.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

There is (or was) a pitcher around here that does the same thing. It looks as if he's jumping toward the plate when he pushes off. His mechanics seem all screwed up to me, I was always taught keep the head still, quiet before the storm, blah, blah blah.

Anyway, the first time I saw him pitch, I watched very carefully. He wasn't "running into the pitch" so he was fine. The kid went to high school here, and also attended a local D2 college. I was questioned about it once. My reply was that, "he is prohibited from running into the pitch, which he's not doing, its legal." Never heard another word about it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
What did the BU have to say about the pitcher's motion? He'd probably have a better view of a hop or replanting of the pitcher's foot.
He thought it was his normal motion and he did not want to take the ball out of the kid's hands. He felt he was doing the same thing all the time and it should not have been called. Considering we did not call anything, he agreed with me.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
He thought it was his normal motion and he did not want to take the ball out of the kid's hands. He felt he was doing the same thing all the time and it should not have been called. Considering we did not call anything, he agreed with me.

Peace
"But Blue, the balk is part of his natural motion!"

(I'm not saying the move is a balk - I fully agree with JM, ALL pitchers come off the rubber before they release the ball.)