The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Somewhat interesting that of the 11 comments so far, most seem to be a little flippant toward the coach's question (safe or out, IF HE CAUGHT THE BALL). The coach just implied that F3 didnt catch it, plus its only a scrimmage, so why not just answer the Q in a civil way (if the Q was asked that way).
I agree with durham, so why make more out of it then it is, ego maybe?
Yes, we all know that coaches try to pull tricks, gain an edge at our expense, but I certainly have no problem with being civil , if treated the same way, and will immedialely deal with coaches who arent...
Yup, it's ego. Always ego. Asked and answered.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I't's against my better judgement to give an answer to the coaches question. I am in agreement with a previous post that sitting here at my computer I may have a different response than I would on the field but my gut tells me not to answer directly. For me, a good response would be "what do you think coach?"
Whether he responds out or safe I can just shrug it off. If he persists i can ask why it matters and at that point the discussions over.
There is no upside to answering this directly only a downside. An indirect 'civil' response is the way to go IMO.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

A perfectly civil "what did you think, coach?" followed by a shrug = ego.

ooooooohhhhkaaaaaaaaayyyy.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I am probably way off here, and god knows that I am wrong all the time, but how many times a year does someone ask this type of question. I get it once maybe twice a year, and a hitters ask maybe once or twice a game on swinging strike. Everyone is capable of handling these stiuations in their own way, but for me the way is to answer their question as long as it is a question. I am not a mind reader, but as for me and my system of handling situations, I do my job professionally, and then deal with unprofessional behavior in turn.

Everyone of us can and will deal with this stuff in their own way, but if anyone is looking for a different way to deal with it I suggest trying this one. I have rarely had trouble dealing with it in this fashion, and if I would have had an ejection in this type of situation, I would be backed by the fact that I was "being approachable" and answering the question and they coach/player became an ***. And not labeled in a different light by not answering the question or answering in a vague unclear fashion.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
A perfectly civil "what did you think, coach?" followed by a shrug = ego.

ooooooohhhhkaaaaaaaaayyyy.
Perhaps,
Was it the shrug or the question that bothered you?
I can honestly say that my intention was not to 1up the coach or to display absolute authority in this situation, simply to defer giving a direct answer to a possibly legit question.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

The coach would have to call time and come out to ask me such a stupid question. I would just ignore him the rest of the time.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Any time a coach or player asks a hypothetical question about a play, I repsond truthfully, civily and concisely: "I'd have to see that."
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Perhaps,
Was it the shrug or the question that bothered you?
I can honestly say that my intention was not to 1up the coach or to display absolute authority in this situation, simply to defer giving a direct answer to a possibly legit question.
Sorry, my response was directed to archangel, not you. I'm in your camp on this one, believe me.

I think Garth's answer is best. A coach cannot string you up on "I'd have to see that/it," no matter how hard he tries.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Any time a coach or player asks a hypothetical question about a play, I repsond truthfully, civily and concisely: "I'd have to see that."
This is where your personality has to come into play. If I were to say something I would likely be a smart azz and the tone would not be right. So I just prefer to ignore stupidity with silence.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I also had this happen to me...

I just told the coach:

"I'm not sure, I didn't have time to flip my coin on the play."
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Had this happen last week

I was doing a Mustang game last Sunday. The kid swung at strike 3 and ended the inning. The kids dad, who is about 30 feet away ask me if that last one was a ball or a strike. I responded back “I don't remember". I said it in a slow but deliberate manner. Honestly, I didn’t remember. It was a strike as far I was concerned and I had moved on to other business. The dad says "Don't remember, huh" with the inflection in his voice that I knew but was not going to provide that info. Then someone said "good answer, blue". So that may be my response from now on. Every situation is different.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

If the kid's dad was I spectator, I wouldn't have responded at all, if he was a coach I would have told him it was strike, it was, it ended the inning.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 03:47pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
This hypothetical reminds me of the batter who swings at a pitch then asks, "Would that have been a strike if I didn't swing?" I answer "yes" every time, regardless of where the pitch was, just to get them to swing the frickin' bat and stop asking me such questions.
I say the same thing...if they swing at one that they know is a ball they don't ask if they ask, it's probably close to being a strike so i just say yes and move on...to answer the coach's question here...if the coach wants to be a prick and try to bait you...then you can decide how to deal with him in the future...if you don't know the coach, don't play games back at him...if he asks for time and he's not showing you up...answer the question that was asked...if he would've caught the ball and all other things being equal...he would've been either safe or out...leave it at that...if he chooses to be a prick, you'll know that next time he tries...
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

My standard answer to questions like this is "I've already forgotten!"
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
"what was the question again, coach?"

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.