The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Buried down in the "Why are we reluctant to call Ts?" thread is a comment I need advise on. Statement was about a ref that was "noticing" a coach's behavior partially for berating HIS OWN players.

Question: Is a technical valid for comments, aggression, chirping WITHIN and TOWARDS the same team?

How do you judge sportsmanship towards your own players or co-players?

Do we procter the relationship a coach has with his players?

Is a "T" valid this situation or only used with INTER - Team offenses!

Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I believe we have some responsibility here and we can issue a technical foul if warranted. Of course, we CAN give one to the crowd too. I would not tolerate a coach cursing at a player loud enough for me and the fans to hear it and degrading a student-athlete. To me, that is intolerable behavior and I would not let it happen.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Good point, Ref Daddy. I would issue an immediate T if a coach was cursing at his players. However, I would take the level of play into account and issue a warning before whacking a coach for totally berating his players without cussing.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 10:03pm
Administrator

Last May there was a thread on this board that lasted for one week concerning ejecting a coach without a technical foul. The thread is: http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=4908

I reference this thread because I took the very very minority view that it is possible to remove a coach from the bench without a technical foul, but in only certain limited cases. The thread is three pages long but in germain to the original posting of this thread.

In the above thread I mentioned a situation where my partner and I removed an assitant coach without a technical foul. A week before the game I just mentioned, the same partner and I were officiating a pool play game in the YBOA Girls' Nat'l. Champ. (13U age group) and this game is more in line with the situation posted in this thread. During the first quarter the Head Coach of Team A just screamed and yelled at his players worse than a Marine Corp drill instructor for any small mistake. I just could not believe that parents would allow their daughters (or sons if the case fit) to be treated like this. A mother was even sitting on the bench keeping a scorebook. I was the U and when the first quarter was over, I drifted over to Team A's bench and queitly mentioned to the mother keeping score that if I were to yell to my two sons like that I would be arrested for felony child abuse. I then walked away. Just before we put the ball into play to start the second quarter I noticed her talking to the Head Coach and they were both looking at me. The HC never said anything to me during the game but he never yelled at his players the rest of the game. That is one way to handle an ugly situation.

But I would suggest that you go to the above thread and read everybody's postings and feel free to scrutinize my postings in the thread.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 10:28pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Buried down in the "Why are we reluctant to call Ts?" thread is a comment I need advise on. Statement was about a ref that was "noticing" a coach's behavior partially for berating HIS OWN players.

Question: Is a technical valid for comments, aggression, chirping WITHIN and TOWARDS the same team?

The last time that happened to me, I went to the coach at the 1/2-time break and said, "Coach you are yelling (not cursing) at your players and I think it has become a distraction. You are on the edge."
He apologized, reined it in and was not penalized.
Problem went away.

Yes, I would have called an unsporting technical because I found it offensive.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2003, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

I believe I am the one that made the comments about the coach berating his own players. This is a cut of my original posting in that thread:
------------------------------------
"I soon realize this could be an unpleasant coach, aka Bobby Knight, Jr. (BKJ)

Next time down, one of BKJ's players is beaten by a nice athletic move. The loudmouth coach starts ripping his player a new "one." I deliberately pause and stare at him, give him a "hairy eyeball", and shake my head. He appeared to get the subtle message and is relatively quiet for the rest of the half."
------------------------------------
Additional info to help set the scene:
This was an 8th grade boys game between two parochial schools.

An AD at our local HS gave me guidance that I have used in these types of situations. Basically, the AD said. "The coach should be viewed as a teacher in the classroom. Yes, he can be passionate about what he does, but he still needs to display professionalism."

Hope this helps guide you as well.