The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Couple of Equipment Questions

I'm just getting ready to order some new equipment here before my season starts and I would much appreciate your thoughts on these items:

Plate shoes, i think i've narrowed it down to GD patent leather, Honigs plate shoes, and the New Blance plate shoes. any thoughts/preferences on any of these?

Pants, I'm kind of leaning towards the Gerry Davis Pants. any experience with these? what are your thoughts?

I have the wilson chrome moliben (new-view) mask and i'm considering getting new pads, do you prefer the amara suede wraparound, the doe skin wraparounds or something else?

ball bags, i have been using the ump-attire ultimate ball bag, but it has come to my attention that this is amateur-looking, i figure that a standard ball bag is a standard ball bag, but do you have any preference as to which supplier's ball bags you use?

thanks so much for your input on any or all of these.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I've use the GD patent leather shoe for the last two seasons. I love the fact that a damp cloth makes these things look sharp. I don't like the fact that they wear out the inner liners at the heal so quick. Three seasons max. I'm going back the +POS low top, or maybe the cheaper Honigs patent leather, which my son loves.

Pants, I still like the +POS plate and base pants.

I like the amara pads for really hot weather.

I really like the Ultimate bag, as my review said. And I agree that they don't look as good as lower performing bags. It's a trade off. Maybe I'll just wear them under my plate coat, so no one can see them.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Spot Built patent plate shoes and they're very comfortable, but beware that they are not steel toed. I didn't know that until I wore them a few times. If I had to do over, I'd go with the NB.

+POS pants are the best I've worn, but, make sure you give them plenty of time for shipping, you never know how long you'll be waiting. I have the GD pants, and they're nice material, but the rise is not as generous as the +POS, that's my only complaint with them.

I also use the Wilson CM, and I don't like the wrap around pads. I've replaced them with the old square ones, I don't know what they're called off hand.

As for ball bags, Davis's are nice. And Kyle, please tell me you joking about wearing them with a plate coat...
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And Kyle, please tell me you joking about wearing them with a plate coat...
What, I've been this for years. It is a bit time consuming buttoning and unbuttoning the coat, but hey, what's the price of fashion?

(If you have to explain jokes they lose their humor)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
What, I've been this for years. It is a bit time consuming buttoning and unbuttoning the coat, but hey, what's the price of fashion?

(If you have to explain jokes they lose their humor)
Ok... I get it... whew!
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

plate shoes- tanel 360. you must look at these before you make your final purchase. i love them. www.tanel360.com

pants- had cliff keen pants, but they started to fade to pink. i now have smitty brand plate and combo pants.

ball bags- standard cloth bags- navy
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I wear: Davis shoes, Honigs Pants, Chrome-Moliben with doeskin wraparound, and Honigs Ballbags. I am very happy with all.