The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Boy no activity since November 18th. I realize individuals officiate different sports, but this is the longest stint among the message boards where there has been little or no activity. I'll attempt one more time to get this Board at least active and see what others think or want to do.

I'd like to recap my season and see what you take from each and every season to improve and give YOU Yourself and Honest evaluation.

One thing I've learned is that the strike zone is that which is accepted by the leagues in which we umpire. Also, there are book rules and rules that the League itself adopts like special ground rules.

We discuss many a ruling and varied issues here on the net but how does that apply in reality?

1. The strike zone - We can all talk about the book zone and have a heated debate on whether to extend it, shrink it or just plain ignore it, but the truth is: The leagues that pay us determine how we are to call the zone.

If you had numerous complaints about your zone this year (I'm not talking about that 2 or 3 bad games we all have but in general), in a particular league, change it and see for yourself the reaction you receive. Don't get me wrong you will still hear it on those punch out strike 3's, but experiment.

This year was my first year in umpiring a CWBL League. My first 3 games were just plain awful. In fact one of the batters (in a nice way) said Hey Blue this isn't JV baseball. I changed my zone (not a postage stamp - No-one that I know of likes a postage), to accomodate the league.

I watched my partner and what his zone was and starting with my 4th assignment I improved dramatically and started calling the game that suited them. Along those lines are the neighborhood play - again accepted practice for higher leagues.

In other words, the game is called the way it is expected for that league. That doesn't mean we will not have some difficult calls to make, but if a player is out and it is expected that he is out - He's out.

2. Base Awards - My suggestion - Do not get hung up on the book definition. I umpired in one field in which all base awards (from no matter where) was one base. RE: DBT was only about 5-6 ft on either side of first / third so just about every over-throw went into DBT. Again, these people are paying me so who cares.

All in all I learned (which I had an inkling anyhow), that the game belongs to The players Not us. Some of us had our day in the sun Now it's their turn.

No-one is going to say Hey that umpire made a great call (conversely they will remember the so called "bad" ones) on that play, but they surely will talk about so and so's HR blast that won the game.

Yes someone has to umpire, but do not get hung-up on yourself

What have you learned from your past season that you would like to improve on or share with others to aid them in their development. Common guys I know it's football / basketball and yes even Hockey season but there must be something you would like to talk about or share with others

COMMON BLUE!!

Pete Booth

Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Pete, I worked hard on two items this year.
(1) timing, and
(2) field demeanor

In timing, I continued to slow down my decisionmaking in the field and improve timing consistency at the plate.
While it helps increase accuracy of the calls, I find the best part about doing that is it lessens my anxiety within the game or the specific situation. I am far more relaxed on ALL calls, and truly feel like I am seeing the call from a different perspective where I am better at judging rather than reacting. When you acquire that "relaxation", you'll know it. It feels great and makes umpiring less of a job and a lot more fun.
Slow down the timing!!! What seems like forever to you is appropriate timing to the onlookers.

Field demeanor goals dealt with hearing out the complainer a little longer before responding. Before, I would hear an initial complaint and respond to it---interrupting the complainer. This year, I tried being certain I let the complainer finish all he wanted to say regarding the play (not insults). I would even end his statements with the question, "Is that all you have to say?"
Then, I would respond as to what I saw and why I called what I did. Again, I find allowing the guy time to voice his complaint not only allowed me opportunity to hear his "full" concern, it also gave me the time to gain better composure regarding the complaint itself. Thus, I could respond in a more composed and professional manner.

No doubt many feel I still need improvement in those areas, yet, I was very satisfied with the improvements made.
I found picking areas to concentrate on for improvement also works well for me. That way I'm not trying to do too much in a season. Besides, when you're an old vet like me, it's just kind of tough to find areas to improve in.......LOL.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Improvement is always possible!

My feeling is that when you feel you've reached the level you wanted to, kick the props away, and improve some more.

I try to watch some of the Umpires I feel are the best, and pick out some of the things they seem to do better than I, and work on them until I feel comfortable, or modify them to fit my comfort level.

This past season, I concentrated on calling the lower part of the zone with consistency. Secondly, I tried to get a better view of the outside low corner, hopefully cutting down on the "guess" factor.

This past season was also the first one I worked since I started following some Internet Umpire sites, and the help I received from the known (and unknown) sources would be difficult to define, but I know I did a better job this year than ever before, and the boards were definitely a much appreciated help.

Senior
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Being Prepared and approachable

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
I'd like to recap my season and see what you take from each and every season to improve and give YOU Yourself and Honest evaluation.

One thing I've learned is that the strike zone is that which is accepted by the leagues in which we umpire. Also, there are book rules and rules that the League itself adopts like special ground rules.

We discuss many a ruling and varied issues here on the net but how does that apply in reality?

1. The strike zone - We can all talk about the book zone and have a heated debate on whether to extend it, shrink it or just plain ignore it, but the truth is: The leagues that pay us determine how we are to call the zone...

I watched my partner and what his zone was and starting with my 4th assignment I improved dramatically and started calling the game that suited them. Along those lines are the neighborhood play - again accepted practice for higher leagues.
I think that you have to consider whether you are officiating various levels of ball or if you are moving up to a higher level. If you are new to a league coaches are more likely to try to get on you. It is good advice to bounce your strike zone off more experienced umpires to discover if it is or isn't appropriate for that level.

Quote:
2. Base Awards - My suggestion - Do not get hung up on the book definition. I umpired in one field in which all base awards (from no matter where) was one base. RE: DBT was only about 5-6 ft on either side of first / third so just about every over-throw went into DBT. Again, these people are paying me so who cares.
Club Rules cannot supercede book rules. I agree it might seem awkward to be the only umpire calling it by the book but I would at least let the coaches know that a club rule is in fact not legal. I had a Little League where there was also a small area beyond the infield foul lines. Coaches wanted the ball hitting the fence to be a one-base award but I told them there was no such animal.

Quote:
What have you learned from your past season that you would like to improve on or share with others to aid them in their development. - Pete Booth
I think getting to games really early like 45 minutes before rather than our association's 20-30 minutes allowed me to relax more easilly. I also learned that it is dumb to umpire while you are having an attack of kidney stones but since it was the first time this happened I wasn't really sure what was going on. I think it helped to be even more approachable than in the past as long as the coach wants to talk and does not become argumenative. - Jim/NYC
Old Tue Nov 27, 2001, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well, this was my very first season umpiring.

Without going into alot of detail, what I learned was, basically, I had alot to learn. From rules, game management, calling behind the plate, mechanics, what equipment to get, etc. I also learned that there is alot of truth behind the phrase "You can either be an umpire with 20 years of experience, or an umpire with 1 year of experience repeated 20 times".

This is also my first year in an association. I'm just beginning to see some of the politics that many of you have mentioned.

The internet has been a godsend. Not only for learning rules, but reading about experiences that other umpires have, some good, some bad, without actually have to go through the learning process (or at least I'll be prepared for the test).

Good idea Pete.

Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

What I Learned Last Year

Looking back at last year I would have to say that I learned that taking assignments should be done carefully. While I had a desire to start doing Varsity after a year of JV ball, I realize that nothing replaces game experience and you need to do that on the field. In addition, I resisted the urge to sign up with the local area assignor for non-HS ball. That was the wise thing I ever did. There was no way I would have been able to maintain a high level of focus beyond the HS season. I come the conclusion that while I want to umpire to the best of my ability and game experience is the best teacher, I do not have the drive to umpire 6 days a week for months on end. I am much happier limiting my games and learning graudually.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

The main thing I've learned now is to wait for the perspective of the game to come from experience. I only have two years under my belt, and I've studied the rules probably more than I should have. I vow not to be hung up on the rulebook and avoid thirld world plays(thankfully, hadn't had any yet!!) I've got common sense going for me, and I don't mind criticism. I'm going to talk more to experienced umpires and of course read the boards.
I take pride in the job when I call a game. But from reading a lot of everybodies experiences, there are some things that will only come with time.
Phil
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

A comment to Ump20

Sorry to disagree with you about rules. Not to sound line Peter Osbourne, I call the rules that I am told to call by the people that pay me.

If we went with "your" definition we could not have any ground rules.

I worked a game last year that the right field foul line turned at a 90* angle at the outfield grass, went about 20' into the field and then angled back to the foul pole. Why?

There was a light fixture that was falling and they game administrators (tourney actually) ruled it a dead ball area but wanted to finish their tourney. As umpires we complied.

I have worked a league game at the end of the season where the coaches agreed that each batter would start with a count on 2 balls and 1 strike, I have umpired a game where the rain had made the main field unplayable so we went into the outfield and played with a pitching rubber laid flat on the ground, NO MOUND. If we hadn't the game could not have been played.

I have worked a game where we allowed runners for the catcher to speed up play. The league didn't have the rules we just "made it work."

I worked a double header one day that neither game went five innings but both were reported in the paper the next day as complete games (see umpire.org, Strikes & Outs for a column about that).

I understand what your post says but that ain't the way the "real world" works. We make adjustments all the time and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Your position is obviously correct to the letter of the law but is not how we really do it.

Lighten up . . . you're missing a good game.

Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

You do sound like Peter. What you say is somewhat true but I'm a bit short of giving it blanket approval. There are ground rules and their are playing rules. At a coaches conference a lot of the coaches want to change them both. Ground rules no problem, but changing playing rules and/or league playing rules for one game I think you agree, it could be risky.

Did a V H/S game when I was a rookie and that was a looong time ago. Varsity field too wet so we moved to the freshman field. Left field had a rock wall about 220 feet out, down the line.

Coaches conference, coach says, Left Field 2 over to the tree and 4 after that, the tree was in left center, we all agreed. Then the other coach said OK but if the kid realy cracks one he should get four, all agreed.

To make a short story shorter the kid from the visiting teams gets up and croakes one down the line about 400 feet.
Home run. Home team coach comes out. He tells me that he knew the ball went over the fence fair but it hooked and
landed foul. DAH. Gave him the home run and ever since it has been 2 or 4 ONLY.

Morale of the story is you have to be carefull of what you change and where and when you change it. G
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Pete,

Excellent topic...Wish I had been able to respond earlier, but I've been really busy at work.

Overall, I'd have to say my year was pretty good. I started the calendar year out by attending the Jim Evans Florida Classic. Highly recommended. If there is one negative result of my experience there, it would be that I was constantly thiking about the mechanics (both plate and bases) that were taught at the clinic. I think next year I'll be able to flow a lot more and be less mechanical.

I moved again for the third time in five years. All of the moves were a minimum of two hours apart and 2 involved changes in states ! So, I had to re-establish myself in a new area. I found an "association" that was looking for new members and I got the older age groups right off the bat (Dixie Boys and a lot of Dixie Majors). I also worked AAU ball for the first time and that group was a little harder to get into(I didn't start umpiring until the 3rd tourney of the year b/c I didn't find out about the league until that time). All in all, pretty good ball and a real cooperative group (both leagues) to work with (umpires that is ) I felt like my mechanics were sharper and I was tracking the ball from the pitcher to the mitt better as the season progressed (still need to work on it !!!)

Negative aspects. Focusing too heavy on getting mechanics right. My mechanics weren't too bad to start with, but I really wanted to adopt the things I learned from Evans. I also think I was a little more jumpy with coaches this year, probably because I didn't know them and they didn't know me. I think that will be better next year. Frustating to work with guys who with a little polish and a few pointers could shine as umpires (not that I am a star, but at least I look the part). Looking forward to working on these things next year as well as others.

I may try to attend HS clinics, but like you my job really doesn't allow me to leave at 3:00 except when I use vacation time. I also have tremendously unpredictable schedule. I may go and see if they can use me as a fill-in. I was only able to make it 3 weeks into the HS season in my last town before the rigors of the job caused me to miss a game (first and only time in 10 years that has happened)

Have a good holiday...

Lawrence

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Things I've learned

This was my first year working games with kids who shave and men's league. Everybody says I look better than a rookie. All I can say is, I think I have 'em all fooled.

Mostly I've learned what I don't know:

* How to get a good look at and call pickoff attempts
* When to get help on possible pulled foot plays
* When to go out from position A (and where to go)
* 3-man mechanics
* 4-man mechanics
* What's a balk
* What's a low strike
* Where's the outside corner
* What's a strike in a men's league game (I'm clueless)
* How to maintain my concentration for the whole game
* How to manage a game
* How to leave the game on the field

If I can get a little better at each of those things next year, I'll feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Here are some things I learned:

* How to keep my head still and track the ball
* Make all movements and signals crisp and aggressive
* How to appear calm when I'm getting yelled at
* When a coach is working me (always!)
* How to get to my car when parents are screaming at me
* Six-stitch hats work fine for both plate and bases
* How to crease my hat like the big dogs (big year for hats!)
* Waterless hand cleanser works great
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Re: A comment to Ump20

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Sorry to disagree with you about rules. Not to sound line Peter Osbourne, I call the rules that I am told to call by the people that pay me.

If we went with "your" definition we could not have any ground rules.

I worked a game last year that the right field foul line turned at a 90* angle at the outfield grass, went about 20' into the field and then angled back to the foul pole. Why?

There was a light fixture that was falling and they game administrators (tourney actually) ruled it a dead ball area but wanted to finish their tourney. As umpires we complied.

I have worked a league game at the end of the season where the coaches agreed that each batter would start with a count on 2 balls and 1 strike, I have umpired a game where the rain had made the main field unplayable so we went into the outfield and played with a pitching rubber laid flat on the ground, NO MOUND. If we hadn't the game could not have been played.

I have worked a game where we allowed runners for the catcher to speed up play. The league didn't have the rules we just "made it work."

I worked a double header one day that neither game went five innings but both were reported in the paper the next day as complete games (see umpire.org, Strikes & Outs for a column about that).

I understand what your post says but that ain't the way the "real world" works. We make adjustments all the time and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Your position is obviously correct to the letter of the law but is not how we really do it.

Lighten up . . . you're missing a good game.

I think you are making assumptions about how I umpire. I referenced a situation in which two coaches might want to have a "ground rule triple" on a ball hit let's say 400' where maybe there are stands from a soccer or football field. Actually we have had that situation and have ruled that a ball hitting the stands on a fly would be a home run but if it bounced in it was "all you can get". That was done because umpires decided the outfielders were not at risk going after bouncing balls. Now if safety was involved I could see myself telling coaches there was no such animal as a ground rule triple but we would play with it for that game.

A few years ago I umpired a softball playoff game at Shea Stadium in which sliding was prohibited (groundskeeper Pete Flynn was watching from the dugout) at two bases set up on the baseball field's infield.

If I didn't like the level of play or the departure from the rules I would simply ask my assignor not to assign me to that league. I can assure you that this would not be a problem.