View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Pete,

Excellent topic...Wish I had been able to respond earlier, but I've been really busy at work.

Overall, I'd have to say my year was pretty good. I started the calendar year out by attending the Jim Evans Florida Classic. Highly recommended. If there is one negative result of my experience there, it would be that I was constantly thiking about the mechanics (both plate and bases) that were taught at the clinic. I think next year I'll be able to flow a lot more and be less mechanical.

I moved again for the third time in five years. All of the moves were a minimum of two hours apart and 2 involved changes in states ! So, I had to re-establish myself in a new area. I found an "association" that was looking for new members and I got the older age groups right off the bat (Dixie Boys and a lot of Dixie Majors). I also worked AAU ball for the first time and that group was a little harder to get into(I didn't start umpiring until the 3rd tourney of the year b/c I didn't find out about the league until that time). All in all, pretty good ball and a real cooperative group (both leagues) to work with (umpires that is ) I felt like my mechanics were sharper and I was tracking the ball from the pitcher to the mitt better as the season progressed (still need to work on it !!!)

Negative aspects. Focusing too heavy on getting mechanics right. My mechanics weren't too bad to start with, but I really wanted to adopt the things I learned from Evans. I also think I was a little more jumpy with coaches this year, probably because I didn't know them and they didn't know me. I think that will be better next year. Frustating to work with guys who with a little polish and a few pointers could shine as umpires (not that I am a star, but at least I look the part). Looking forward to working on these things next year as well as others.

I may try to attend HS clinics, but like you my job really doesn't allow me to leave at 3:00 except when I use vacation time. I also have tremendously unpredictable schedule. I may go and see if they can use me as a fill-in. I was only able to make it 3 weeks into the HS season in my last town before the rigors of the job caused me to miss a game (first and only time in 10 years that has happened)

Have a good holiday...

Lawrence