View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Pete, I worked hard on two items this year.
(1) timing, and
(2) field demeanor

In timing, I continued to slow down my decisionmaking in the field and improve timing consistency at the plate.
While it helps increase accuracy of the calls, I find the best part about doing that is it lessens my anxiety within the game or the specific situation. I am far more relaxed on ALL calls, and truly feel like I am seeing the call from a different perspective where I am better at judging rather than reacting. When you acquire that "relaxation", you'll know it. It feels great and makes umpiring less of a job and a lot more fun.
Slow down the timing!!! What seems like forever to you is appropriate timing to the onlookers.

Field demeanor goals dealt with hearing out the complainer a little longer before responding. Before, I would hear an initial complaint and respond to it---interrupting the complainer. This year, I tried being certain I let the complainer finish all he wanted to say regarding the play (not insults). I would even end his statements with the question, "Is that all you have to say?"
Then, I would respond as to what I saw and why I called what I did. Again, I find allowing the guy time to voice his complaint not only allowed me opportunity to hear his "full" concern, it also gave me the time to gain better composure regarding the complaint itself. Thus, I could respond in a more composed and professional manner.

No doubt many feel I still need improvement in those areas, yet, I was very satisfied with the improvements made.
I found picking areas to concentrate on for improvement also works well for me. That way I'm not trying to do too much in a season. Besides, when you're an old vet like me, it's just kind of tough to find areas to improve in.......LOL.

Just my opinion,

Freix