View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

You do sound like Peter. What you say is somewhat true but I'm a bit short of giving it blanket approval. There are ground rules and their are playing rules. At a coaches conference a lot of the coaches want to change them both. Ground rules no problem, but changing playing rules and/or league playing rules for one game I think you agree, it could be risky.

Did a V H/S game when I was a rookie and that was a looong time ago. Varsity field too wet so we moved to the freshman field. Left field had a rock wall about 220 feet out, down the line.

Coaches conference, coach says, Left Field 2 over to the tree and 4 after that, the tree was in left center, we all agreed. Then the other coach said OK but if the kid realy cracks one he should get four, all agreed.

To make a short story shorter the kid from the visiting teams gets up and croakes one down the line about 400 feet.
Home run. Home team coach comes out. He tells me that he knew the ball went over the fence fair but it hooked and
landed foul. DAH. Gave him the home run and ever since it has been 2 or 4 ONLY.

Morale of the story is you have to be carefull of what you change and where and when you change it. G