The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

This was only my second year as an ump. Im hooked! I love baseball and i love being an ump. I learned so many things about people and myself. I learned what it takes to get the respect umpires deserve. It takes guts to be an ump and i respect all of you very much. ive got so many stories about games i called ( some are embarrassing) I would do it for free. I think i learned the most about myself and how you have to push yourselves and stay focused every second your on the diamond. There was many times i was so tired and so hot i could of just fell asleep right there behind homeplate but i knew that to get the respect everyone in blue deserves i had to stay in there and do my job and it was definetly worth it. Thanks for all your help! I hope all of you had as a rewarding and successful season as i did!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2001, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

kman wrote: I would do it for free.

Don't let your assignor hear that, they just may take you up on it.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it. I have always maintained that once I no longer enjoy umping, then I will give it up. So far, that day has yet to come.

Scott
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by kman
This was only my second year as an ump. Im hooked! I love baseball and i love being an ump. I learned so many things about people and myself. I learned what it takes to get the respect umpires deserve. It takes guts to be an ump and i respect all of you very much. ive got so many stories about games i called ( some are embarrassing) I would do it for free. I think i learned the most about myself and how you have to push yourselves and stay focused every second your on the diamond. There was many times i was so tired and so hot i could of just fell asleep right there behind homeplate but i knew that to get the respect everyone in blue deserves i had to stay in there and do my job and it was definetly worth it. Thanks for all your help! I hope all of you had as a rewarding and successful season as i did!
I think you can do all the "right things" as an umpire but not get the respect that you deserve. This can be due to the fact that fans and or coaches just lack sufficient knowledge of the rules such as "the hands are part of the bat!" It might be that the adults involved have hidden agendas that go beyond modeling proper behavior for the kids playing the game. It also can happen when you move to officiate in a new league and teams have no history with you.

In this age after the events of September 11th I think it works best when you first look objectively at yourself and your performance. Did you hustle in every situation? Is your rules knowledgewhere it should be? Were you fair and balanced using people skills and being approachable. Did you dress like an umpire and arrive at the field on time?

You should also seek out the opinions and advice of officials you look up to. Personally, I avoid giving advice without being asked. But if asked, I'll try to be fair and balanced and give constructive tips to a newer umpire. Jim/NYC
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 10:02am
Michael Taylor

Jim: I agreed with until the I don't offer opinions unless asked. When I'm in the senior umpire talking to junior I will give advice freely and explain what I think I may have done wrong. Some new guys are afraid to ask higher level guys questions. Personally I will ask in a heartbeat what my partner thought of how I did. The only way newer guys are going to get better is if we help them. Also you quickly find out who is teachable and who is going to do it their way no matter.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Wink

glad to here you like it. Keep it up, and good luck, and stick with it