The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Run Scores?

I know this is a simple play, but could someone please explain to me what I am missing on this. With one out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, the batter hits a high, deep fly to centerfield. The ball is caught, and both runners tag up and advance. After the runner from third has scored, the defense throws the ball to 2nd base and appeal. No time was called and the umpire declares the runner originally on 2nd out. My question: Does the run score? Why or why not, and let's use NFHS rules. Thnaks to all who read and help me with this in advance.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OBR 7.12 Unless two are out, the status of a following runner is not affected by a preceding runner’s failure to touch or retouch a base. If, upon appeal, the preceding runner is the third out, no runners following him shall score. If such third out is the result of a force play, neither preceding nor following runners shall score.
Score the run. Look at FED 8-2-5 in Appeal Procedures and Guidelines 8 Tag-Ups

Last edited by SAump; Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 12:08am.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Score the run.

The reason you feel like it's not a run is likely that you mistakenly consider an appeal of leaving early a force play, and the logic on a force play would nullify the run. Disabuse yourself of that notion - an appeal of a runner leaving early is NOT a force play (even though you only have to touch the bag) - it's an appeal play, and appeal plays are timing plays.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson_28602
I know this is a simple play, but could someone please explain to me what I am missing on this. With one out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, the batter hits a high, deep fly to centerfield. The ball is caught, and both runners tag up and advance. After the runner from third has scored, the defense throws the ball to 2nd base and appeal. No time was called and the umpire declares the runner originally on 2nd out. My question: Does the run score? Why or why not, and let's use NFHS rules. Thnaks to all who read and help me with this in advance.

Score it!

Just remember: Tag ups are always Time plays
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

If the appeal out at 2B happened before the runner at 3B touched home then no score. Otherwise the appeal was after the score. Your post says AFTER the run has scored, so you answered your own question.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent word usage 'Disabuse', I like that. Had to look it up, but I like it.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."