The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 06:20pm
rei

4 scheduled, all played. One started an hour late because of rain. One rain delay in another game. One cut short on account of darkness (because the game before it was the one that was an hour delayed, and took 3 1/2 to play! ).

Nothing else for another two weeks, unless something come up.

If you want to learn how to make a field ready for play, come to Oregon!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You also must take into consideration the ability of the fielder in question. Ordinary effort for one may not be for another.
And how do you do this in the first inning with two teams you've never seen before? Do the guys you see have their fielding ratings posted on their uniforms?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
And how do you do this in the first inning with two teams you've never seen before? Do the guys you see have their fielding ratings posted on their uniforms?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.
You Little Dickens, you!

Actually, I meant to say "the level of baseball" more than the individual fielders. If you are working Mustang League, you may not be so quick to believe that the fielder has an ordinary play, whereas if it were a Varsity player, you may feel that ordinary effort is all that is necessary. I've seen some pretty routine pop-ups where I could tell that the fielder didn't have a prayer of catching the ball, in a league where the kids couldn't catch a cold.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
What do others have to say about this?
Better safe than sorry. A pop fly in foul territory will tend to drift toward fair territory because of the spin on the ball. We don't know from PWL's play how close the dugouts were to the line. We don't know how old / skilled the players were. We don't know how much hyperbole there was in the original message. I seem to recall that one of the "authoritative sources" indicates that wind should be a consideration (but not a defining factor) in calling the infield fly. Sun shouldn't. :shrug:
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:27am
rei

Is this thread about the infield fly rule or about how many games you have gotten in compared to how many you have been assigned? I am getting confused!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Is this thread about the infield fly rule or about how many games you have gotten in compared to how many you have been assigned? I am getting confused!
HIJACKED!!!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

The wind is a factor in whether a fly ball should be called IFF (Evans). The sun is not (College Study Guide).

I was working bases a couple years ago on a very windy day and a ball was hit to RF. I went out thinking it was going to be a trouble ball. It landed in the infield dirt with F4 and F9 out in RF. Wind was blowing in from RF. Nothing ordinary about it. This was not an IFF situation but I looked at my partner, tipped my finger to my hat and gave a miniature safe signal and he nodded agreement, no IFF's today.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Weather Update

Ok, so what in the hell do you guys in the NE and Midwest wear this time of year.

We got rained out Tuesday at 6 in the bay area and played last night at 6.

I wore 2 Underarmor cold gear long sleeve mocks, a pair of UA cold gear leggings, my REI loose fit leggings, 2 pair of socks, UA cold gear gloves, My Black Diamond poler tec fleec gloves, all under my uniform last night and I was still cold last night.

It was in the 30's with the wind blowing right up the 3rd base line into my face all nite long. Worked 3rd.

I bought all that stuff to wear to work in Reno and it probably won't be enough. What else can you, do you wear?

I am gonna look like the Michelin Man when I get up there.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Durham,

I've done a couple of games when there are snow flakes and a howling north wind. We simply put on the long johns, undershirt, fleece and the umpire shirt.

Grit your teeth and head out.

It amazing, on those nights there isn't even a hint of an arguement when an umpire calls an out!!
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:47pm
rei

On the plate, of course I don't have to worry about bundling up as much. On the bases, it is usually a t-shirt, then a long sleeve cotton tutleneck in the appropriate color, and my long compression underpants with (hopefully my partner has them!) Honigs Polywool slacks, which seem to keep me a bit warmer than their regular slacks.

Maybe being from Oregon, I am a bit more acclimated to cold, damp conditions for baseball!

Oh, gloves! Can't forget gloves!!! I have some black neoprene fishing gloves for those really harsh days!
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

"Ok, so what in the hell do you guys in the NE and Midwest wear this time of year."

Well, up here in Southern Maine we will wear jackets, probably sweaters and stocking caps. Really doesn't make much difference as long as your warm cause we have at least at foot of snow on the ground with more coming tomorrow.

Now, in April, late April, that is, when most leagues will start up, we will probably wear, jackets, sweaters,and maybe stocking caps, but the snow should be almost gone and we will be entering the mud season.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was in the 30's with the wind blowing right up the 3rd base line into my face all nite long. Worked 3rd.
Don't do baseball, but have done football in that sort of condition. The UA stuff and long sleeve shirt kept me OK. Add a baseball jacket and gloves to that and I'd be downright toasty.

But, then again, I often wear shorts when its in the 40's, so it takes a lot to keep me cold.