The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly Question

Would you call this one IFF?

High School game, one out, runners on 1st and 2nd. First baseman is holding the runner so he is at the bag.

Batter hits a pop fly down the first base line that is going beyond first base. Initially it looks like it might go foul, but it ends up landing on the chalk line 3 or 4 feet into the outfield grass. It was fairly high, but no player was able to get to it.

It lands on the line, fair ball, runners advance with no throw.

I didn't call IFF because, to me, the book requires ordinary effort, and this was a trouble ball from the start.

My partner thought it should have been an IFF, but he didn't call it either.

The rule is intented to protect the runner. I don't see the need to use it to reward the defense who never got a glove on the ball, and didn't even make an out on the play at all.

What do you think?
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u
Would you call this one IFF?.........It was fairly high, but no player was able to get to it.........
HTBT but it sounds like no IFF.

For me, the player must be parked or at least make it look like an easy catch.

The potential for an Infield Fly If Fair call was there but who would benefit from that call? Only the defense.

Good call.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

You thought it was a trouble ball and didn't call IFF. I agree it's HTBT, but it sounds like you made the right non-call.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't call IFF because, to me, the book requires ordinary effort, and this was a trouble ball from the start.
You are the umpire on the field. If you think that it required extraordinary effort then you were correct. The ball was in a trouble area according to your description.

Quote:
My partner thought it should have been an IFF, but he didn't call it either
If your partner had the gonads, he would have made the call! He didn't - you did! Nothing more to say!
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was fairly high, but no player was able to get to it.
That's enough not to meet the requirements for an infield fly.

I agree with the other posters.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

But if I'm the coach, any F3 who can't catch a popup 3-4 feet into the outfield grass is going to be doing lots of drills.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
But if I'm the coach, any F3 who can't catch a popup 3-4 feet into the outfield grass is going to be doing lots of drills.
Doesn't it depend on where you had F3 playing? If the ball was not catchable in an umpire's view, I would have a hard time saying that it should be catchable in a coach's view (at least catchable enough to warrant punishing the player).
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Why did you have F3 holding the runner on in the first place?
Good question! I had to go back and reread that one. What is F3 doing holding the runner on 1st with R1 and R2?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Why did you have F3 holding the runner on in the first place?
Don't ask me - it wasn't my post or team.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Doesn't it depend on where you had F3 playing? If the ball was not catchable in an umpire's view, I would have a hard time saying that it should be catchable in a coach's view (at least catchable enough to warrant punishing the player).

From the original post "It was fairly high" It hit the chalk 3-4 feet into the grass. Fielder was at 1B.

That means the fielder has to move maybe 20-25 feet to get it. 4-5 running strides. Even Sluggo should be able to do it with ease.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
From the original post [I]
That means the fielder has to move maybe 20-25 feet to get it. 4-5 running strides. Even Sluggo should be able to do it with ease.

But he didn't and that is where the question is. My BU seemed to think it should have been called just because it was in the vicinity of the infield, therefore making it an IFF.

I go back to ordinary effort. If sluggo is running around, diving for the ball, that's not ordinary effort no matter where the ball lands.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But he didn't and that is where the question is. My BU seemed to think it should have been called just because it was in the vicinity of the infield, therefore making it an IFF.

I go back to ordinary effort. If sluggo is running around, diving for the ball, that's not ordinary effort no matter where the ball lands.

Aha! The criteria is "An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort,"

"can be caught" not "is caught"

If you think the average F3 could have caught it with ordinary effort, it should have been called. You don't base the call on whether Sluggo himself was wallowing around. If the ball was coming stright down on his head and he was just standing there with his thumb up his butt, you'd call it wouldn't you?

Last edited by Rich Ives; Wed Feb 28, 2007 at 03:45pm.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

The rule does NOT say "an ordinary infielder". It says by an infielder with ordinary effort. Level/ability/location on the field, etc DOES matter. If the ball is halfway up (nearing the apex), and it's obvious to me that no one is going to catch it, then it's not catchable with ordinary effort.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

This is why you wait until the ball reaches apex, usually with an infielder camped out under it.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
The rule does NOT say "an ordinary infielder". It says by an infielder with ordinary effort. Level/ability/location on the field, etc DOES matter. If the ball is halfway up (nearing the apex), and it's obvious to me that no one is going to catch it, then it's not catchable with ordinary effort.

But how do you determine "ordinary effort"? There have to be criteria. To me it's what you would expect from an infielder at that level, not what you'd expect from any individual infielder. Ordinary effort is what is made by ordinary infielders.

If you look at it, and think "I'd expect that to be caught" and then Sluggo trips over his own feet or Bubba has a brain cramp and doesn't even go after it, I think it still qualifies.