The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Weather (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/32146-weather.html)

Durham Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:40pm

Weather

I know that many have not started working games yet this year, but for those of you that have; how many games have you had rained out already?

I stand at 5 that have been washed out, and that is after .5 inches of rain in the entire month of Jan.

tibear Fri Feb 23, 2007 02:11pm

Baseball!!!!!

We're in the middle of a blizzard this weekend!!!!

David B Fri Feb 23, 2007 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham
I know that many have not started working games yet this year, but for those of you that have; how many games have you had rained out already?

I stand at 5 that have been washed out, and that is after .5 inches of rain in the entire month of Jan.

We've had several washed out and last weekend was about 20 degrees with 15 MPH winds - great baseball weather ....:eek:

Thanks
David

tiger49 Fri Feb 23, 2007 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B
We've had several washed out and last weekend was about 20 degrees with 15 MPH winds - great baseball weather ....:eek:

Thanks
David

Trade ya! Woke up today to a temperature of -15F :mad:

Justme Fri Feb 23, 2007 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham

I haven't had a rain out...yet. Rained here yesterday, but I didn't have a game. Today looks good (upper 50's), windy but not raining & tomorrow's games look like a go (low 60's).

umpduck11 Fri Feb 23, 2007 03:24pm

We have beautiful weather on opening week, for the first time in years. It's
usually in the mid-to-high 30's, but it has instead been mid 60's into 70's. I've
worked 5 varsity games so far, and lost one, cancelled due to the death of a player's father.

scarolinablue Fri Feb 23, 2007 04:56pm

Had three games so far, another tomorrow. No rainouts. Pretty normal rainfall here so far this year. Chance of rain tomorrow, but probably after the game SHOULD be over. I say should, since I've already had a 10-inning marathon earlier this week.

bossman72 Fri Feb 23, 2007 07:55pm

it is currently 10 degrees here in PA. i won't sniff a game until march 23rd

GarthB Fri Feb 23, 2007 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
I still got it. I hope some people don't get jealous.

Paul,

Not to worry,

ranmc Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:41pm

We havent had any games yet, They dont start until mid March, but I guess since there is 10" of snow on the ground, it's probably a good thing.

DonInKansas Sat Feb 24, 2007 04:07am

Snow and cold forced my first JUCO series to be rescheduled--The two teams were playing 3 games each in Kansas and Texas and they decided to play the Texas games first, pushing the KS games to March. Why it wasn't like that in the first place, I have no idea....Feb 9-10 here isn't exactly a good bet for baseball weather......

etn_ump Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:28am

Here in Tennessee, worked 3 5-inning scrimmages last night starting at 4:00.
The 7:30 game was kinda cold on the bases. Worked the plate the first 2. My legs are definitely a little sore this morning. 2 more scrimmages today. Good to get started though.

Durham Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:11am

Damn Cold

After getting rained out Friday, I worked a DH on Sat. I was so cold at the end of the 10 am game that I put on my UnderArmour Cold Weather Leggings and long sleve. for the 2 pm game. The sun broke threw for 2 outs in the bottom of the 5th of the 2nd game. Aside from the dark gray clouds all day it was windy.

I don't know if any of you have seen or use that UA cold weather gloves, but they worked really well. They were warm and kept the wind out, and they are very tin and can be worn under heavier gloves. They cost around $20 and were well worth it.

I wasn't working on Sunday, but the 1st game of their DH got rained out and the 2nd game was miserable.

Should be a fun a fun Feb.

I'll let you know how cold my 6pm in San Jose is on Tues.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
We had wind blowing so hard Saturday, I had foul ball that went up over the first base dugout and I called, "Infield fly, if fair".

If the wind was blowing that hard, how could the fielder be expected to catch the ball with "ordinary" effort? In a big windstorm, wouldn't it require a bit more than just "ordinary" effort on the part of the fielder? Just asking, since you aren't supposed to call IFF until the ball has reached the apex of its flight, and a fielder is waiting to make the catch without any extraordinary effort.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Feb 26, 2007 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
Just wondering, do you call the infield fly if the sun is in the fielder's eyes? Doesn't that requires "extraordinary" effort, too?

Not really, he just needs to use the fundamental of using his glove to help shield the sun. And hey, where are his shades? It doesn't qualify as "extraordinary effort," because ordinary effort would require him to locate the baseball in the high sky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
You also went on the say the fielder should be waiting to catch the ball without any "extraordinary" effort. So if you have a sky high ball hit in the middle of the infield you wait until the F6 or F4 is camped under the ball? Why wait that long? Is that something you learned from pro school graduates? I call an infield fly as soon as I recognize it meets the qualifications. I guess if you do it your way and no one goes after ball the batter isn't out. What happens then?

I learned not only from pro school graduates how to umpire, but from current (at the time) minor league umpires. We had a very good training system here back then, which included "pro school" style clinics conducted by these pros and school grads. We would do the exact same cage drills, safe/out drills, simulated games, and "managers" comprised of instructors with their hats backward "coming out" on each umpire. It was a simulated pro school environment. So please stop disparaging my umpire training, because it was indeed very similar to that of an actual umpire camp or school training.

To the IFF question, a judgment must be made that an infielder can make a play on the ball with ordinary effort, regardless of where on the field the ball may land. That is the qualifications to which you speak. If you call it sooner than this judgment is made, then you have prematurely called IFF. You also must take into consideration the ability of the fielder in question. Ordinary effort for one may not be for another.

When the ball is over the dugout is not the time to call Infield Fly, IMO. It may have been better to wait until the wind began carrying it back toward fair ground, glance to see if the fielder had drawn a bead on it, then make the "Infield Fly, if fair" call. JMO, I could be wrong.

What do others have to say about this?