The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Weather Question

Had a question posed to me by a fellow official. Last Friday we had approximately 4 inches of rain. This following three previous days with similar weather. Official wanted to know weather we have the ability to suspend the game to due to unplayable field conditions. This was not a lightning situation, but simply the field was so wet and muddy that this official felt the game should be suspended.

My questions:

Do the officials have the ability to unilaterally suspend the game in this situation?

If yes, what rule supports this decision?

If no, and if you truly felt the field was unplayable, how would you deal with game management.

Thanks
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
NF 3-1-5 When weather conditions are construed to be hazardous to life of limb of the participants, the crew of officials is authorized to delay or suspend the game.

3.1.5 Sit A During the second period, a cloudburst brings a torrent of rain onto a grass field. The officials suspend play and after a 20-minute delay determine that the field is no longer playable. RULING: While the officials are authorized to delay or suspend a game when weather conditions are construed to be hazardous to life of limb, such as lightning, tornado alert, etc., a heavy shower which only affect the playing conditions, should not be construed as hazardous to life of limb. While the officials are the final authority on suspending play, it is a good practice for the officials to discuss the alternatives with game management and representatives of both teams before suspending the game.

Answer to your question - yes, you have the authority but you should be judicious in its use. I would do all I could to convince, or get the blessing of game management before unilaterally suspending a game. In the end it's the referee's call and he should be prepared to defend his position.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I agree you have the RIGHT to suspend such a game, but I think you would be erring if you did so. We have played a game where there was literally 1-2 inches of water across the entirety of the field. No additional risk of injury - just really really wet. Luckily, the ball was heavy enough to keep itself in place when spotted, we remarked at halftime that if the ball started floating away we'd have to consider the field unplayable. The players actually had fun with it. Fans, not so much.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Just throwing this out there but I think there's a difference between a field being "unplayable" and conditions that would be considered hazardous.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMcCarthy
Just throwing this out there but I think there's a difference between a field being "unplayable" and conditions that would be considered hazardous.
That's a judgment call. That's why we get paid the big bucks.

Seriously, as mentioned above, consult with the game management, both coaches, etc. As for lightning, I've stopped a game immediately without consultation and we re-started about 20 min. later.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

For poor conditions such as a a severly soaked field, the trade offs involve factors like damage to the field, rescheduling busses, field availability, fan inconvenience and other items that concern the schools but don't really involve the officials. Therefore, it only makes sense to let the schools make this decision and for us to stay out of it.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 12:04pm
Chain of Fools

To follow up with Jim D's point

Football is usually the biggest revenue generator a h.s. has. While most are there to see the game, in some areas the band can be as big an attraction as the game itself.

Playing on in foul conditions can result in a loss money wise to the home team. My game on Friday was postponed til Monday. The home team may not have won a game this year. They play Friday, nobody shows up. At least we had a decent crowd on Monday. Most of the gate came from the visitors' from what I could tell.

Those who "poo-poo" today's players for being soft aren't looking at the economic realities for the school and its athletic department. If the AD's and the principal tell you they want to call it off, I think you've got to honor the request least you find yourself working an ever decreasing amount of schools.

I know what the book says but the "politics" of it have to be factored in.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
For poor conditions such as a a severly soaked field, the trade offs involve factors like damage to the field, rescheduling busses, field availability, fan inconvenience and other items that concern the schools but don't really involve the officials. Therefore, it only makes sense to let the schools make this decision and for us to stay out of it.
For factors like this, I have no problem with field admin having control of whether a game is played at all.

Where there IS a problem is in a game already started - "Field management" is going to be (or potentially could be) swayed by what has happened in the game so far, and may lean toward "unplayable" when their team is losing. We can't let field management/admin become involved at all once the game starts - this is wholely our call, and we are told only to stop a game in conditions like this if they are HAZARDOUS, not just unplayable (unless you reach the point where by unplayable you mean completely unable to play - like balls floating away after they are spotted!)