The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Plus Pos Shin Guards

http://www.pluspos.com/product.asp?which=297
I was wondering if you guys could tell me anything about these shin guards. I care most about the comfort or the guard itself and the straps. I used some old MacGregor shin guards last year and the straps irritated my legs. I know most people said don't spend a lot of money on shin guards, and I don't plan on it because I can get these for $30 used. I just wanted to know if any body has worn or is currently wearing these guards when working and how you feel about them. Thanks.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
I was wondering if you guys could tell me anything about these shin guards. I care most about the comfort or the guard itself and the straps. I used some old MacGregor shin guards last year and the straps irritated my legs. I know most people said don't spend a lot of money on shin guards, and I don't plan on it because I can get these for $30 used. I just wanted to know if any body has worn or is currently wearing these guards when working and how you feel about them. Thanks.
The only way to avoid shinguard straps irritating your legs is to wear something between the strap and the leg. I recommend compression tights such as those made by UnderArmour and McDavid.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I think the biggest problem with my old guards were that the metal connector kept scraping my leg.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You want comfort? Then get the Davis shin guards. Only two straps and the best knee protection I've ever had in a shinguard! And no metal buckles that rub against your leg.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I had those, but they were humongous. And they were too big top to bottom. Do they make a smaller size than 18?
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. They come in 17.5" and 15".

Click here for details.

BTW, their size--they're really not that large--is what makes them more protective.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

I bet he's wearing combo pants if the Davis are too big. If you can get the PlusPOS shins for $30, you should get them.

Dave answered your question regarding the buckles and comfort. Get some McDavid's!
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

No i bought some +POS plate and base pants. I didn't that they didn't fit inside of my pants, I meant they were 2x bigger than my old guards. And how do you tell if the 15 or 17.5 would be better? I am 5'10 if that matters.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No i bought some +POS plate and base pants. I didn't that they didn't fit inside of my pants, I meant they were 2x bigger than my old guards. And how do you tell if the 15 or 17.5 would be better? I am 5'10 if that matters.
http://www.honigs.com/pdf/shinguradsizing.pdf
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump
I bet he's wearing combo pants if the Davis are too big. If you can get the PlusPOS shins for $30, you should get them.

Dave answered your question regarding the buckles and comfort. Get some McDavid's!
Indeed. Dave makes a good point that many umpires I know don't even follow. Most of the NCAA guys with whom I work wear some kind of undergarment on their legs, though not that many wear ankle-length ones. I've worn the McDavid Interawear ankle-length ones only because they have a cup pocket built in. I'd switch to Under Armour's in a heartbeat if only their ankle-length ones had a cup pocket; they don't.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

do they make them for hot weather. I looked at the McDavid's and they said they were used for cold weather sports such as football.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
do they make them for hot weather. I looked at the McDavid's and they said they were used for cold weather sports such as football.
From the Honigs site:

McDavid Performance Apparel - high performance athletic wear

McDavid's new active moisture management technology infused into the fabric of its Performance Apparel is called Ultra hDc. It's a permanent compound that immediately absorbs sweat and disperses it into the fabric - evaporating moisture quickly and effectively. When your body heats up and sweats, the apparel stays dry, keeping you cool and comfortable. When your body is active in cool environments, the apparel stays dry, keeping you insulated and warm
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As Garth had excerpted above, they're for hot or cold weather. Having worn them for years, I can attest to their performance. You will NOT be disappointed wearing these. At first they might feel funny, but you'll find they're great to wear.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I had those +POS shin guards, and game them away. They were okay, but I haven't found any shin guards that are really special. I didn't care for them because the vinyl backing got really sweaty.

I use Coopers now. A couple things I like about them is they're vented, CoolMax lined and quite light. My son swears by the Rawlings Lobsters for the extra protection the have.

I concur with a lot folks here. The ankle length McDavids are GREAT. Hot, cold, plate or bases. No need for shin guard straps to rub bare skin ever again. I don't take the field without them.

Last edited by kylejt; Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 08:50pm.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have worn the McDavids for the past several years and do not call without them. It helps remove sweat, makes the shin guards more comfortable, and keeps my legs from cramping up later. Don't leave home without them.