The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Slide in direct line.

R1 slides into 2b, he's within arms reach to F4's side of bag. Is this slide considered in a direct line? we had major discussion at our recent meeting. would like other's interpretation of direct line. thanks.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger71
R1 slides into 2b, he's within arms reach to F4's side of bag. Is this slide considered in a direct line? we had major discussion at our recent meeting. would like other's interpretation of direct line. thanks.
No, it's not in a direct line.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Another case of differing rules codes confusing an issue.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

His body has to go straight into the bag.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
His body has to go straight into the bag.
Only on a force play, he can also slide AWAY from the fielder to the 2nd base side.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, but does it matter might be a follow-up question?. Depends on the situation and the rule set. If the force is on and it is NCAA or FED game he must slide directly into the bag, or away from the fielder, or he can just veer away from the fielder and not slide at all. If the force is not on it depends on where F4 is and whether you think he was sliding that way in an effort to injure F4, in which case it's illegal. If it is to F4's side of the bag and F4 is nowhere near it's legal.

If it is OBR game it's legal if he slides within arm's reach whether force or not.

Last edited by DG; Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 07:43pm.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
No, but does it matter might be a follow-up question?. Depends on the situation and the rule set. If the force is on and it is NCAA or FED game he must slide directly into the bag, or away from the fielder, or he can just veer away from the fielder and not slide at all. If the force is not on it depends on where F4 is and whether you think he was sliding that way in an effort to injure F4, in which case it's illegal. If it is to F4's side of the bag and F4 is nowhere near it's legal.

If it is OBR game it's legal if he slides within arm's reach whether force or not.
DG,
I concur with your interpretation and all of the others as well. Basically that is how I covered this rule set in the meeting (Fed). Obviously several of our umpires(wanna be big dogs) still believe on a force play, sliding within arms reach and altering the play, is a good baseball play.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DG,
I concur with your interpretation and all of the others as well. Basically that is how I covered this rule set in the meeting (Fed). Obviously several of our umpires(wanna be big dogs) still believe on a force play, sliding within arms reach and altering the play, is a good baseball play.
It is, in OBR...

I don't know how many times I have heard HS coaches hollering across the field to "break it up", when there is a DP situation. Just leads to FPSR violations when they do as they are told.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
The worse thing is when they come out and argue for the call and it doesn't exist. If you're the BU and turning with the play, you're not always going to be in position to call it. I'm not going to alert them to the fact that PU has responsibility on this call also. If they know this, they will head to the PU first the next time it happens. I just call the PU out and ask if he saw anything and then continue the game.
If I see FPSR violation I call it. If I have turned with the throw I expect the PU to catch FPSR that happens behind my back. So no need to call him out for discussion. If he saw it he would have called it. I would do the same if I was PU. And of course this was discussed as a pre-game item.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
...And of course this was discussed as a pre-game item.

Yes! This should be a part of everyone's pregame since it's something that's sometimes looked over.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Talking Obviously wanna be umpires ...

Quote:
DG,
just laughin at your comment about wanna be umpires.

If they wanna be, then they should know the rules - be interesting to ask one of them about the difference in that rule with FED and NCAA -

Then of course ask them about OBR ...

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have sent an email to our state rules interperter and asked him to cover the fpsr when we take the state test on feb 1 and define a straight line between bases. most of our umpires still consider an arm's reach as meeting the requirements of a straight line.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Should be interesting!

Quote:
I have sent an email to our state rules interperter and asked him to cover the fpsr when we take the state test on feb 1 and define a straight line between bases. most of our umpires still consider an arm's reach as meeting the requirements of a straight line.
And exactly which rule are they using to define this requirements?

Sounds like your local group has problems if your own rule interpreter can't define something that is "black and white"

But maybe the state guy will help - the problem is that with many of the state guys, they don't know the rules any better than the local guys. (g)

So I would ask the state interpreter for rules to back up what he is saying.
Not just his opinion.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 09:40pm
Veteran College Umpire

When I do rules meetings for FED I tell the listeners that "straight into the bag" means head, legs, trunk, a$$, and elbows.

JJ
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
When I do rules meetings for FED I tell the listeners that "straight into the bag" means head, legs, trunk, a$$, and elbows.

JJ
It would simplify things if the NFHS were to put a small picture showing a shaded area around the bag where it is considered a direct line. The NCAA FPSR also says the runner must slide on the ground in a direct line, but they give the runner the option of sliding just to the left or right of the bag.

Tim.