The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Looking to older guys for help

As I'm sitting here trying to come up with my goals for this year, I'm looking back at situations I came across this year and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me.

1) 13-15 game, I'm working by myself as partner didn't show. 2nd inning, slow roller to third. 3B picks it up, fires to first, gets the runner by a half-step to a step. My eyes see it, but for some reason my head says safe. Somehow, I don't catch hell from any players, coaches, or parents. As soon as my arms went up, I was ready, because I knew I had kicked it. Had the defensive coach said something, I don't think I could have changed the call. The call stood, and the defensive team ended up getting killed, so it didn't impact the game. Had the coach come out to talk to me, could I have changed the call? I don't think I could have, because they would have eaten me alive after that, and I don't know if I could have dealt with the $h!tshow from the offensive coach I changed the call on.

2) 13-15 game, I'm BU. Home team has been one of those pain in the *** teams the entire game, whining about balls and strikes, rolling eyes, and on top of that they're not very good. Their pitcher has been close to balking the entire game, as he's not coming to a complete stop, kind of drawing a "u" with his hands while coming "set". I'm trying to find it obviously so I can balk him to try to teach him what he's doing wrong. Finally, in the 5th inning, visitors have a runner on, and he's bouncing around off the bag. Behind the plate, the catcher yells to the pitcher, "As soon as you get the ball, throw it!" Next pitch, pitcher does the same thing- doesn't come completely set, I balk him. Not so much for the not setting, but because the catcher was dumb enough to call my attention to it. I explained to him that he needs to stop before pitching, and he seemed to get it when I told him. Should I have done what I did, or told my partner about it and tried to call a quick pitch? Or am I completely off base here?

Thanks guys- I appreciate constructive criticism as I'm in my 4th full year of what will hopefully end up as a professional gig.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

1. When you kick a call, you (and everyone else) have to live with it. Never change a call! Some may think that it is part of the new Bull$hit excuse of "Getting the call Right", but that has nothing to do with a blown call. You called him "safe" he stays "safe".

2. If F1 is balking, call it! Don't let him have his way all the game only to nail him in later innings. If F1 isn't coming to set, get him! You're not doing anyone any justice letting this go. Personally, I don't care how old or experienced the players are. If you are on the 90' diamond, you better get it right or I'll balk you all the game long!
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:20pm

Couldn't have said it better! (I just listen to Ozzy's voices in my head!)
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

1) Been there, done that. More patience, don't be in a hurry.
2) From your description, I think preventative officiating is in order. Warn the pitcher early that he is close to a balk. Easier to balk him early than to do it very late with game on the line. That puts you in the jackpot. When the chirping is directed at me, take care of it. Then get to your partner to discuss the whining and how he will take care of his end. If he won't, well there's not much you can do except taking a coach aside and quietly telling him he needs to pipe down. As you gain experience you'll find the balance of trying to stay out of the way and the moments when you need to take charge to avoid larger problems.

Good luck.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

1) Were you working behind the plate? If so you might ask the coach when he comes out to argue "where do you want me stand to call this game by myself, behind the plate or behind the mound? If you think I missed that one I might get a better angle if I am working behind the mound."

Coaches are usually very tolerant when on base calls if you are working behind the plate by yourself.

2) Is almost balking anything like almost pregnant? See a balk, call a balk, especially a not coming set balk. The first inning is best, with a runner on 1B. Very little damage and pitcher learns. Wait till the 5th with a runner on 3B and you have a sh*thouse on your hands.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

1. No basis for changing the call. If a coach wants to argue, let him tell you what he saw and then you can respond, but the response is essentially "that's not how I saw it, Skip. Let's go."

2. If he is "coming close" to not stopping, then he's balking. He must come to a complete, discernible stop. If you're asking youself if he did, then he didn't. Now, while I personally don't do this, I don't object to the suggestion of doing some preventative umpiring and perhaps sending F2 out to tell him he's balking and he needs to come to a good stop in set, or the ump is gonna balk him. This should be done early in the game, not in the bottom of the 7th with the game-winning run on 3B. Personally, I just call the balk(s).
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 07:18am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Personally, I just call the balk(s).
Personally, Dave, I find your little catch phrase at the bottom of your posts distasteful and completely ignorant. It infers that so-called "retarded" persons are losers. You really should watch a Special Olympics some day, or volunteer your services to help out in one.

I've never personally been very PC, but I've also never believed in denigrating groups or individuals that couldn't return my fire.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Personally, Dave, I find your little catch phrase at the bottom of your posts distasteful and completely ignorant. It infers that so-called "retarded" persons are losers. You really should watch a Special Olympics some day, or volunteer your services to help out in one.

I've never personally been very PC, but I've also never believed in denigrating groups or individuals that couldn't return my fire.
OK, I've removed the offensive signature, so now you can remove the stick up your ***.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

You must not be a Carlos Mencia fan then
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
As I'm sitting here trying to come up with my goals for this year, I'm looking back at situations I came across this year and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me.

1) 13-15 game, I'm working by myself as partner didn't show. 2nd inning, slow roller to third. 3B picks it up, fires to first, gets the runner by a half-step to a step. My eyes see it, but for some reason my head says safe. Somehow, I don't catch hell from any players, coaches, or parents. As soon as my arms went up, I was ready, because I knew I had kicked it. Had the defensive coach said something, I don't think I could have changed the call. The call stood, and the defensive team ended up getting killed, so it didn't impact the game. Had the coach come out to talk to me, could I have changed the call? I don't think I could have, because they would have eaten me alive after that, and I don't know if I could have dealt with the $h!tshow from the offensive coach I changed the call on.

At this level, you can *sometimes* get away with immediately changing the call yourself. "Safe. No Out, Out." I wouldn't recommend that you do this more than once a month. And, once a team complains, it's too late to change it, or it looks like you are reacting to their complaint.

OTOH, if no one complained, maybe your head was right and your eyes were wrong.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) 13-15 game, I'm working by myself as partner didn't show. 2nd inning, slow roller to third. 3B picks it up, fires to first, gets the runner by a half-step to a step. My eyes see it, but for some reason my head says safe. Somehow, I don't catch hell from any players, coaches, or parents.
For the most part you will not catch hell from the participants when working solo as long as they see you hustle.

Quote:
Had the coach come out to talk to me, could I have changed the call? I don't think I could have, because they would have eaten me alive after that, and I don't know if I could have dealt with the $h!tshow from the offensive coach I changed the call on.
You do not change your call. If the coach did come out to talk to you you simply state your case and move on.

Quote:
2) 13-15 game, I'm BU. Home team has been one of those pain in the *** teams the entire game, whining about balls and strikes, rolling eyes, and on top of that they're not very good. Their pitcher has been close to balking the entire game, as he's not coming to a complete stop,
There is no such thing as "close to balking". F1 eithers balks or not. From your description F1 committed a balk.

If I'm on the bases, I will get say F4/F6's attention and tell them that F1 is not coming to a stop and go talk to him. If I have the dish, I tell F2.

That's it. If F1 does not pay attention to his teammates then you call the balk. You can't all of a sudden call the balk in the late innings if you allowed F1 to do it all game long.

IMO, the game needs consistency and if you allowed F1 to "get away with it all game long" then do not call it. Learn from it so that you do not make the same mistake again.

Also, what did your partner think? You said you were BU so I'm wondering what the PU saw.

Pete Booth