The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

If you didn't see the game already, you'll see it on the highlight shows: Steve Smith (WR Panthers) was ejected from the game for touching the HL. (He was to the side of the HL and put his arm across his back to get his attention on the sideline) He seemed to be yelling for a Personal Foul on the defense. Did his action warrant an ejection? I'm not a football ref but I found this on NFL.com:

15 Yards and Automatic Disqualification

2. Striking or purposely shoving a game official.

I understood the unsportsmanlike penalty because he was definitely in the HL's face, but an ejection? Thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly what did Steve say to the HL?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'll say a couple of things.

1. He contacted the official, he grabbed him as if to get his attention. This would not warrant an ejection alone.
2. He didn't looked to happy and I'm sure had something to say that went along with the contact.
3. He went over to Terry Mcauley and complained to him clearly using the F word, looked like Terry was going to flag him again but didn't.

I'd be interested in hearing what he had to say, I'm sure he had something to say to him along with the contact and that's why it resulted in ejection.

Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

After watching the replay....I don't think the touching got him ejected because the official was around a lot of players and sideline folks and was getting bumped anyway, but what he said to the official. It must have been good because his eyebrows almost went over his head. He then used the touching to eject the player. I don't know the NFL rules about ejecting a player for unsportsmanlike conduct but I doubt talking rudely to an official is one of them.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Two Cowboys who were on the scene were quoted as saying that what he said is what got him tossed.

Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone listen to Troy Aikman's comments right after the ejection? Of course he didn't agree with it, but as one of the reasons he stated "you can't eject a player like him for something like this." Hmm, sounds like he believes in star treatment! He also could not see what exactly got Smith ejected... but if you are into the speculation game, he could have watched the replays on his monitor that we all at home were seeing that had him getting flagged on the sideline after bumping the official, then the one where he dropped the F bomb and McAuley reached as if to throw another flag after as Smith was complaining about his unsportsmanlike penalty to him, and then once they showed a replay where the HL was pretty heated and in the officials' huddle he gave the heave-ho sign. And he wondered why he got ejected...
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

McAuley doesn't put up with much, and I don't blame him. He busted Mike Tice earlier in the season, the first time I've seen an NFL head coach flagged in a long time.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 25th, 2005 at 11:34 AM]

Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 02:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
McAuley doesn't put up with much, and I don't blame him. He busted Mike Tice earlier in the season, the first time I've seen an NFL head coach flagged in a long time.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 25th, 2005 at 11:34 AM]
Frankly, it's about time that the NFL puts the reins on the coaches and their behavior. It's definitely trickling down, except at the HS level I'm not about to put up with it. I've flagged at least 2 coaches for USC the last three seasons.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, Falcons coach was also flagged recently too for yelling "F you" straight to the R, I forget which R it was.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzle
I'm not a football ref but I found this on NFL.com:

15 Yards and Automatic Disqualification

2. Striking or purposely shoving a game official.
Under NFL rules, the contact you describe would not be an automatic ejection. That doesn't mean it's not ejectable, nor that he shouldn't have been ejected for it.

Under Fed rules, this is an automatic ejection, for intentionally contacting an official. And if it's me, this player is done - no one should be grabbing an official to get his attention. Ever.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I saw the game live with family and I said he said something to get tossed. No official at any level should toss him for how he put his hand on him. And McAuley was looking to flag him again. Hell if Joe Pa was not suspended for the way he grabbed Honig then no way Smith should have been tossed. He was mostly behind the HL and was trying to get his attentionas well could have been trying to keep the the HL from backing into him.
I was seriously dissappointed in Aikman's comments but after hearing the way Avezanno was talking to the linesman in the arena league game on that Behind the lines show (or whatever it was called) with the Cowboys a couple years ago, I was not suprised he did not think of something being said. Either the league is having them seriously crack down on the talk or Smith gave the magic word "you" in what he said.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

According to ESPN.com, the ejection (and the ensuing fine) were for contacting the LJ:

Quote:
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith was fined $15,000 Wednesday for bumping an official during last Saturday's loss to Dallas.

Smith's fine was for "impermissible physical contact with a game official," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said. Smith was ejected in the third quarter against the Cowboys.

After Smith advanced a fumble and was tackled out of bounds by Terence Newman, he claimed he was hit a second time out of bounds. Smith immediately began yelling at line judge Mark Steinkerchner, then placed his arms around the official.

He was instantly called for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty and ejected.

"I got hit out of bounds a little late, and as I was trying to get up, someone pushes me back down," Smith said after the game. "I grabbed the ref and said, 'Hey did you see that?'

"You're not supposed to touch a ref, I understand that. I wasn't doing it to put him down."

Smith, known for problems with his temper in the past, had behaved well this season.

"I wasn't trying to be demonstrative and all that stuff. I'm not trying to put my hands on the ref or get physical with the ref, that's not my style," Smith said. "It's my first time ever getting thrown out of a game."
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Let me ask a question then. I worked a 1st round HS playoff game this year when this happened.

I am U, and lined up 5-7 yards deep, just behind LB's. A safety comes laterally toward me across the formation, and using his forearm, gently nudges me out of his way til I found a new position. He was obviously watching the offensive players as they called their signals and he did not speak to me. I warned him to not push me, and he should ask me to move if I'm in his way. This occurred twice during the game. I did not flag him either time.

What would you have done?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

RickKy, I agree with the first warning and I might even go with a second warning to both him and the captain if he did it again. If he did it a third time I'd flag him for USC.

If I work as an Ump, I always start out the game by telling the defensive backs that I will move if they ask me me to move left or right (as oppossed to "hey ref, move"). That has always worked for me.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Jim D, Rick KY:

As an Ump I have been pleased with the way the players in NE WI ask me to move. Almost all say "excuse me, can you move please?" or something like that, or an occasional tap on the shoulder, which I find as ok, I am paying attention to the line, not behind me. Very few times have I had anything else. I agree with Jim D, though, on the push, once or twice warn at most.