The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 10, 2002, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to TxBktball03
Cool

I don't know about what other officials think of each other, but as a CBB fan, I really enjoy it when Steve Welmer comes to town. Today, I was at the C-USA final in Cincinnati and think he is a wonderful personality. He never ignores a coach, makes it plain when he calls a foul as to what he saw, and interacts with the other students at the game, i.e. the bands and cheer teams, when he can. Just an overall nice guy who I've come to think of as a pretty fair official too. Anyone out there know him?
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I saw Steve at a NW/Minn game a few weeks back. He's fun to watch and really seems to command respect out there. Twice when Dan Monson was howling for a while Steve just looked at him, shook his head and said "No."

Not that I'm looking, but what would be a good over/under on the number of times he adjusts his pants?
Old Tue Mar 12, 2002, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to TxBktball03
Hmmmm

I don't know....but the raw frequency would be several times a half.

I've seen him on television so many times in the past week. And every time, he's cool as a cucumber. I was also happy to see him get tough at the Conference USA final. Some refs shy away from calling 'the X' intentional foul, but he did it against Cincinnati when a guy really went after one of the Marquette players. Even though it was the right call, it was still a gutsy one.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Steve is the MAN!!

Steve comes to Texas every year and is a critiquer at Tony Stigliano's camps. He can really tell a story, and is quite a character off the court, and one HELL of an official on. That's why he is on TV every night...
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

OVER/UNDER ON PANTS PULLING

HEY GUYS I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT SOME OF US HAVE THIS PROBLEM. IN FACT I TOLD MY WIFE TO COME AND WATCH A GAME THAT I OFFICIATED THIS PAST YEAR AND HER FIRST COMMENTS WERE "YOU PULL UP YOUR PANTS TOO MUCH." I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING, I USED THE RUBBER BELT UNDERNEATH THE PANTS TO HELP KEEP THEM UP AND I HAVE WENT TO A SMALLER WAIST(TIGHTER) TO TRY AND PREVENT THIS. I THINK IT IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED ON HOW TO KEEP PANTS FROM FALLING DOWN. THANKS ALOT AND I TRULY RESPECT STEVE WELMER.

MIGHTYVOL
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Had the same problem until I switched to the pleated, beltless Sansabelts -- don't know why the are different. I also dropped down a size and they seem to fit much better. I can't stand the white rubber belt thing!

BTW -- don't use all caps, it means you are SHOUTING!
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I found putting on 5 pounds also helped with this problem... ;-(
Old Mon Mar 18, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
I found putting on 5 pounds also helped with this problem... ;-(
But you then have other problems to deal with!