The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

This question concerns verbal obstruction by a defensive player. A group of us were discussing this yesterday afternoon, and a spirited discussion broke out regarding the second baseman or the shortstop yelling “back” in an attempt to keep the runner close to second.

How say ye? Obstruction or baseball?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Well,

Since FED wrote the rule SPECIFICALLY to cover your example I would say that FED thinks it is verbal obstruction.

Tee
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Dammit, blue. My worst fears have come true. I agree with Tee, both in subjectmatter and tone.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I always had a hard time with verbal OBS, since OBR doesn't even recognize the concept. But Fed would definitely consider the example to be verbal OBS. On the other hand, though I stopped officiating Fed years ago, I do seem to remember case plays in which certain utterances are not to be considered OBS, because "the runner should know his coach's voice" or some such wording. (Or maybe that's from some other code or the BRD or something.)

I don't remember shortstops actually yelling, "Back!" but I certainly remember their faking a motion toward 2B and saying something like, "Hey!" in an attempt to drive the runner back toward 2B. I wonder whether Fed would consider that OBS.

In Fed, would it be some sort of OBS if after a play at 3B, F5, in an attempt to get the runner to start for home, said, "Oops!" and pretended to chase after the ball as if it had gotten away?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
How about this one? In a 40-and-over game,OBR....
Batter hits towering fly into foul territory near
plate.Catcher searches the sky for the ball,batter
begins yelling "I got it,Gene....Gene,I got it".
What do you have,if anything?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
How about this one? In a 40-and-over game,OBR....
Batter hits towering fly into foul territory near
plate.Catcher searches the sky for the ball,batter
begins yelling "I got it,Gene....Gene,I got it".
What do you have,if anything?
Hopefully, a catch. Maybe a dropped ball.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Is there a rule in FED for Verbal INTERFERENCE? Obviously, this couldn't be Verbal OBSTRUCTION.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Is there a rule in FED for Verbal INTERFERENCE? Obviously, this couldn't be Verbal OBSTRUCTION.
FED 2-21-1, 3-3-10 & 5-1-2d all relate to VERBAL INTERFERENCE
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I don't do FED. That's why I was asking. So, what do those rules say, and does the sitch above fit into those rules?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't do FED. That's why I was asking. So, what do those rules say, and does the sitch above fit into those rules?
Yes, the situation fits, and, if you judged it to be interference, you could have an out.

In the original play (F6 yells, "back"), you could judge it to be obstruction if the call hindered the runner. 99.9% of the time, it doesn't hinder the runner in HS baseball. If it gets to be too annoying, a quiet word with F6 will stop it.

Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Just curious, and not trying to stir the pot... does "Hey, batter, batter, SWING!" count as verbal obstruction in FED?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just curious, and not trying to stir the pot... does "Hey, batter, batter, SWING!" count as verbal obstruction in FED?
Fortunately, that's not something I have happen in my FED games. It'd not be "obstruction" because it does not impede a runner on the basepaths.

In the absence of my rule book [threw or gave away my old ones; don't get '05s 'til I pay my dues in 2 weeks]: I believe there is a FED [BB only, I don't do SB] rule which says, in substance, no player shall direct any comments [or chants] toward or about a player on another team. So, no "Swing, batter, swing", etc. is something they are not supposed to do. I have heard "cheers" along the lines of "He {F1} couldn't pitch a fit": in those cases, I have reminded the coaches that kids are supposed to cheer FOR their teammates, and not run down the opponents. If I heard "Hey Batter..." etc., I'd probably do the same.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:
FED 2-21-1, 3-3-10 & 5-1-2d all relate to VERBAL INTERFERENCE
Since the poster said this was a "40-and-over game,OBR...." it doesn't matter what FED has to say on the subject. I've got either a caught fly or dropped ball. Nothing more.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

OBR Verbal Interference?

Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which....confuses any fielder attempting to make a play.

To me the batter yelling "I got it Gene." is an act that confuses a fielder trying to make a play. Tell me why this could not be interference if it had an impact on the play. Likewise, a player making a play close the other teams dugout, and as the player is getting into position to make the catch, someone in the dugout yells, "I got it. I got it." Is this not an act that is done to confuse a fielder attempting to make a play? I haven't seen this very often at higher level games, but this happens frequently in games involving younger players. Why would you not judge this to be interference if it has an impact on a play being made?

[Edited by lds7199 on Feb 1st, 2005 at 04:49 PM]
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

From the FED rule book Section 22, Art.1 "Obstruction is an act (intentional or otherwise, as well as physical or verbal) by a fielder, any member of the defensive team or its team personnel that hinders a runner or changes a pattern of play..."

From the FED case book 2.22.1 SITUATION A: "R1 attempts to steal second. F2, upon receiving the pitch, throws a pop-up to F6. F5 yells "get back, get back". R1 thinks B2 has hit a pop-up and starts back to first where he is tagged out . RULING: This is verbal obstruction and R1 shall be awarded second base."