The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I simply have a problem donning a $29 piece of equipment that is supposed to protect me from a 90 MPH fast ball!
In case you didn't see the picture, this is a west vest, one of the best quality chest protectors around. To see it on sale for $30 is absolutely unheard of. They have since made small improvements on some of the newer models of the west vest, but this thing can take 90 MPH fastballs all day long, regardless of price.

If for some reason they don't send you the one in the picture, then just send it back, but if they do, then you got a heck of a deal. You can't even find a piece of crap used west vest some fat guy has worn and sweated on for 6 years for $30 on ebay, much less a brand new one. I'm curious to see how they turn out and what the people who have ordered them will say. Keep us posted.

Luke
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, a friend of mine I mentioned the sale to ordered it online on Sunday and he received it today (Tuesday.) He says it's perfect, brand new, and fits him perfectly, better than the Wilson MLU protector he was replacing. He is forever in my (and by extension, whoever started this thread) debt for clueing him in to such a great bargain. He called it the deal of the century.

Of course, the century is still very young.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

thanks for the heads-up

Just ordered one a few minutes ago. I'm getting back into officiating after a long haitus and appreciate any bargains I can get on my limited budget.
Does anyone know of any deals on plate shoes, plate pants, jackets and shirts?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
Just ordered one a few minutes ago. I'm getting back into officiating after a long haitus and appreciate any bargains I can get on my limited budget.
Hoing's is having their 10% Holiday sale now.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I use the Pro9 CP and have not had a problem with it...I have used it in HS level of play and had zero issues with it, protection, quality, or fit...
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
Check out New Balance express' website. Today, if you order by midnight, they have their plate shoes and base shoes 10% off and free 1-day shipping!
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump
Check out New Balance express' website. Today, if you order by midnight, they have their plate shoes and base shoes 10% off and free 1-day shipping!

Has anyone used the NB Plate Shoes before?

I have used 2 pair of the Honigs K90's.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Low Low Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Guys, ask yourselves why the price is so low? These are the original WV markings, probably made by Wilson. If they are, they are discontinued. This means no support! If something breaks or fails, you are on your own!
Amazon must clear shelf space for the new model that LtDan showed us a few months ago.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-wi...pi-372648.html
Amazon is probably passing along a good deal from their own overstocked suppliers. Wish they did the same thing with plate shoes and other umpire gear.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

What's hilarious is that these things are already being put on eBay. Mine are scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Report to follow. It won't replace my Platinum, but might work better under my plate coat. I'll even look like a tall, lean version of Cowboy Joe!
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Somebody likely has a significant overstock so Ebay is the quickest way to resolve, likely selling at cost or even a small loss. The buyer benefits and thus Ebay thrives and we all happy. Mine is due to arrive Friday.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

No. Guys here are buying them from the aforementioned site, and reselling them on eBay. More power to them.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Got the WV I ordered today. It is what it is advertised to be. It's not Platinum or Gold but the original (not Douglas) WV. I could take it to my first association meeting in January, lay it on a table and say $70 and I would be stormed (not a good plan). I didn't need it, I am perfectly happy with the CP I have, but for the price I couldn't resist. I will probably just give it to my oldest son. The younger son has the same CP I have so he don't need one.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you "lmathews19" for the inexpensive WV CP info.
Mine arrived today (ordered 12-17-06). Good deal for just over $38.00 total. Probably an old or discontinued model.
Made some strap adjustments and CP seems to fit me well.
Not used to a 13" model as my original CP (many years ago) was 18" and my current Pro 9 CP is 16". I am sure I will "adjust".
Certainly more protection than the "ribbed" type.
Sam
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I got mine today.

It's a quality piece. I got two for about $65(free shipping for orders over fifty bucks). Nay sayers can bark all they want, but they're new, great quality, and dirt cheap. If they're new old stock, NOS, you can't tell. They seem quite fresh.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

It's great to see that the deal was legitimate and you all are receiving your orders. I'm glad I could help my fellow umpires out and hook them up with probably the greatest umpire equipment deal I've ever seen. I just happened to stumble across it by typing in a google search Sunday evening b/c I was doing research on what type of CP my brother should get, and in the process I was able to hook some of my partners up with a great deal, I'm delighted because of this.

Good luck to you all and Merry Christmas. Be sure and let your associations know of the deal when you have your winter meetings. Being an umpire is not cheap.

Luke