The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

West Vest

Sorry guys about another chest protector question.
I wear a Davis Wilson which I love to death, but I don't know about the plastic plates for varsity level games. (Yes, I'm a dreaded JV, travel and - gasp - fastpitch umpire, but I like it there. And I give them the best game I can). You've all pretty much convinced me to go West Vest. I also am aware of the preferences some for Gold some for Platinum.
Now what I need to know is what suppliers will let me order one, try it for fit, then return it for the other type if it doesn't fit right.
If it helps I'm 6'1" 200 lbs, with a little excess baggage in the middle.
Thanks!
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
any of them will. you'll just have to eat the shipping costs.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Appreciate that. Popping for shipping's not a big deal. Thanks!
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Darn - I wanted to add this to the last reply. Is there anyone who thinks West Vest is maybe not the best way to go? Besides HS var I also do a wood bat league of mostly former D1 players but I've not been behind the plate there ye There's no college baseball in my future (not in baseball, although I have an NCAA soccer cert) so mainly I'm looking more to not get that spinner-back shot that'll rattle my ribs and disrupt the game.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Darn - I wanted to add this to the last reply. Is there anyone who thinks West Vest is maybe not the best way to go? Besides HS var I also do a wood bat league of mostly former D1 players but I've not been behind the plate there ye There's no college baseball in my future (not in baseball, although I have an NCAA soccer cert) so mainly I'm looking more to not get that spinner-back shot that'll rattle my ribs and disrupt the game.
Go with the best level of protection you can afford. There is no such thing,
to me at least, as "too protected". I wear the WV Gold, and I can't see myself using anything else.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry guys about another chest protector question.
I wear a Davis Wilson which I love to death, but I don't know about the plastic plates for varsity level games. (Yes, I'm a dreaded JV, travel and - gasp - fastpitch umpire, but I like it there. And I give them the best game I can). You've all pretty much convinced me to go West Vest. I also am aware of the preferences some for Gold some for Platinum.
Now what I need to know is what suppliers will let me order one, try it for fit, then return it for the other type if it doesn't fit right.
If it helps I'm 6'1" 200 lbs, with a little excess baggage in the middle.
Thanks!
I use the WV Platinum and nothing else!

http://www.gerrydavis.com/
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I use the WV Platinum and nothing else!
Flippin' elitist.

Tim.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Flippin' elitist.

Tim.
Ahh yes..... those of us with tastes for precious metals.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
As difficult as it can be, you really need to try on several different UCP's to see which one FITS you best. Most of the $140+ vests protect you the same. The final decision, I think, comes from what fits the best.

For me, the West Vest Platinum did not fit me well. 6' 0", muscular, no beer belly.

But I was very used to the nice way the Honig's K1 hugs you.

Try them on, WITH A SHIRT ON (very important), and choose the one that feels the best.

Nick
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have owned a West Vest Gold for several years now. I have tried other chest protectors to experiment with lighter and cooler for lower levels of play, and "collector-item-itis" with my Riddell Power vest, but the bottom line, proven over and over and over again, is that there simply is not a more protective chest protector than the WV Gold. Baseballs bounce off it like bullets off Superman.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I am considering replacing my worn Honig's K1. Would someone please explain what the differences are between the West Vest Gold and Platinum models? Is it one's body type/size that is a major factor in determining which WV model is best?
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since I bought it - 3 seasons of Mens FP, American Legion BB, and Fast Pitch in general - I've never felt a shot through my west vest. Its a suit of armor. Hot at times - but I dont believe there is better protection. You take a hit .. and because of the sound, people think you've been shot and are waiting for your reaction, but you didnt even feel it. Its great.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Flippin' elitist.

Tim.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire
I am considering replacing my worn Honig's K1. Would someone please explain what the differences are between the West Vest Gold and Platinum models? Is it one's body type/size that is a major factor in determining which WV model is best?
The designs are slightly different - the Gold's shoulder pads are more "front-mounted" while the Platinum's are more "top-mounted." The Gold's design would tend to be more appropriate for someone who uses a more upright plate stance, say a Gerry Davis or heel-toe stance. The Platinum is better suited for a stance in which you tend to lean forward, such as a scissors stance.

That's the main functional/design different I've observed, based on owning both (and I stuck with the Gold and ditched the Platinum.)
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

oh, if it hasnt already been mentioned, http://purchaseofficials.com/
even cheaper still. I did see the WV's on there

on a side note they sell this for $169

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Sun Oct 29, 2006 at 10:19am.