View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully a New Umpire here.

Hi everyone. I'm normally in the football forum as I've been a football official for 2 years. Well, I just contacted someone local here and expressed my interest in umpiring a bit this coming spring/summer. He sent me a list of stuff to buy and holy crap it cost alot to be an Ump. Now I am a catcher still on a local adult league so would it be ok to use my shin guards, mask and even chest protector as an ump too? I mean aren't the shin guards and protector covered by your uniform anyhow so it shouldn't look too bad and the mask looks exactly the same in my mind though I'll admit I never looked to close at the umps.
Also why do they sell Plate shoes and base shoes. Can't you just have one pair of shoes and then your shin guards could just have a flap to cover the tops of your feet. Would it be tacky to use my playing spikes as an Ump. The spikes are mainly black with some white (the Nike swoosh, the word nike and I think a little trim) plus a little red on the sole of the spike.
Anyhow, I was hoping to keep the initial cost down on this. I'm younger and a little short on the money side most the time but I think it'd be great to be involved in baseball just like I am football. I've always loved and played both sports and I just want to stay involved in them.