Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
We always stick the rook in the bucket. Less things to screw up.
Understood SDS, but at some point the rooks need to learn.

Probably the best time is a meaningless reg season game or a post season game that TD will realize will be about 30-0.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Let me say one more thing as well.

For big games, I'm stuck in the bucket.

For moderate games, I get about 1/2 the time at 1st and 1/2 the plate with a veteran at first. Normally happens with the DH.

Its good to stick rooks in the bucket as you say until they are ready to move up to the next step. They need big game experience before they get important big game experience, if that makes any sense.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

http://tinyurl.com/fhl56
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I think not Steve, no matter how many years youve worked it doesnt entitle you to demand you work a certain postition. take your turn like everyone else. Sure we may not be "professional umpires" but it makes no difference. Sure, its more fun to work HP and 1st, but some people need to learn to work the other pos. like everyone else. I dont care weather its your first year or your 30th, it doesnt entitle you to boss the other umpires around and insist working a pos. or decide to not umpire. I think my UIC should start assigning who works what.
What does the weather have to do with whether you're a rookie or a seasoned veteran?

Bob
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Psst. Psst. Psst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
What does the weather have to do with whether you're a rookie or a seasoned veteran?

Bob
I am not sure if you do, but someone thinks the rookie is homophonic.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:

Bob
Well, a rookie is knot nearly as qualified to due the job as is a veteran. No matter witch weigh you look at it theirs no way to compare the too.

Tim.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Well, a rookie is knot nearly as qualified to due the job as is a veteran. No matter witch weigh you look at it theirs no way to compare the too.

Tim.
You is hooked on foniks.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Talking

Reminds me of the little "drummer" boy.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldnt necessarily say that the "veteran umpire" is the crew chief and he picks, who ever is HP is the crew chief is how its done. Its up to the umpires them selves (agreed upon before the game). Nobody at the feild puts us wear we work. Hope that mnakes it clearer. One of the guys usually asks who wants to do what. Kinda what happened when i stumbed into doing the plate in a district champ. 10-11 softball. Veteran umpire asked who wants to do what, He didnt have it gear, and the other guy got done from working HP that afternoon, so i was the only left to work. Vet. ump took first base. The other guy hadnt shown up to the feild until about 10 minutes before game time, so he was left with taking 3rd
Get A Clue.
PU is the UIC -- FOR THAT GAME.
The Crew Chief may, or may not be the UIC.
Where I'm from [and probably everyone else here, too] the guy who is most senior [rating or longevity] is the crew chief.
Guess what: in your example, the "vet" WAS the crew chief: showed up w/o gear [ 'cause he'd decided before leaving home one of the other guys was taking the dish]; moderated the discussion of "who wants what"; TOOK 1st base.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Much of it is EGO. I put together crews for exhibition games for three Silver Bullets (the women's team) games, and the Korean National team that was touring before the 1996 Olympics. I took the "rocking chair" (3B) for all four games. Couldn't care less about working the plate. And I had the most experience on each of the crews.

Bob
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think my UIC should start assigning who works what.
I do exactly that.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Reminds me of the little "drummer" boy.
amen.......
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 06:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Much of it is EGO. I put together crews for exhibition games for three Silver Bullets (the women's team) games, and the Korean National team that was touring before the 1996 Olympics. I took the "rocking chair" (3B) for all four games. Couldn't care less about working the plate. And I had the most experience on each of the crews.

Bob
I assign a 44-team league. During the regular season, I don't specify plate/bases. As if by magic, one umpire works the plate and another works the bases.

During the playoffs, I assign every position. Our playoffs are one and out and it's an adult league. I know which umpires I can put on the plate and I also want to spread the wealth. This last season we had 8 games in the championship portion of our season and I assigned 8 different plate umpires. I was not one of them.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I agree with most of what has been posted here on this subject. We try to spread the wealth as much as possible come playoff time. Generally, in the preliminary rounds just the plate is assigned, and the crews (3 or 4 man) decide between them who has which base. Once we get to the final rounds, all positions are decided before the game, there are no negotiations. When I did the assigning, I tried to rotate plate jobs between everyone who was selected for the playoffs.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I agree with most of what has been posted here on this subject. We try to spread the wealth as much as possible come playoff time. Generally, in the preliminary rounds just the plate is assigned, and the crews (3 or 4 man) decide between them who has which base. Once we get to the final rounds, all positions are decided before the game, there are no negotiations. When I did the assigning, I tried to rotate plate jobs between everyone who was selected for the playoffs.
When you say no negotiations, does that mean no changes? What if the changes need to be made? For example: I worked a large tournament this summer where the positions were assigned all the way through prior to the start of the tournament. I worked the plate for one team's first three games and, if they kept winning (which they did), I would have had their next two games, one of which which would have been the final. We changed the rotation for the last two games.