The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ozzy6900]

With no one on and a sure hit to the outfield, U3 moves in. The PU rotates up the third base line and after the touch of first, U1 goes mid-way to the plate. Now you have an umpire waiting for the runner.

[QUOTE]

Thisi s the exact situation I was talking about earlier. Three umpires and not a ONE of them actually AT a base. Why have PU or U3 move at ALL on a sure double with no runners on? First base is irrelevant after B1 touches it. ONE movement, U1 follows the runner to 2nd, U3 is already at 3rd and PU stays home and watches for interference.

I agree everyone should be on the same page, but this rotation (or lack thereof) just makes more sense than having three umpires in the field of play trying to figure out who has which base and moving accordingly.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I don't remember the specifics, but a ML Umpire spoke at a clinic and he said that they had a similar mechanic -- on a "clear extra base hit" move one way; on everything else move another.

Worked fine until one umpire read it one way and another umpire read it the other way and no one (or two umpires) covered the play.

Now the mechanic is "move this way on all hits"
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

The new "everybody rotates" mechanic gives the appearance that all the umpires are hustling. Everybody has got somewhere to go, so nobody is standing around. My question is....if the PU is headed toward third, and the defense throws behind BR who has rounded first, and overthrows, who has the ball possibly going out of play? The PU used to come up 1BL just to take a look, and then is available to go into foul ball area to watch if an overthrow goes into the dugout. Now with everybody moving, who watches if the ball goes out of play?
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
There is no such thing as a sure double.
A ball in the gap isn't a sure double? OK, maybe if some 300 pound kid hit it...

And I don't typically remove my pants on the field, although there have been quite a few times where I wanted to expose parts of my anatomy to various rats...
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 06:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=orioles35][QUOTE=ozzy6900]

With no one on and a sure hit to the outfield, U3 moves in. The PU rotates up the third base line and after the touch of first, U1 goes mid-way to the plate. Now you have an umpire waiting for the runner.

Quote:

Thisi s the exact situation I was talking about earlier. Three umpires and not a ONE of them actually AT a base. Why have PU or U3 move at ALL on a sure double with no runners on? First base is irrelevant after B1 touches it. ONE movement, U1 follows the runner to 2nd, U3 is already at 3rd and PU stays home and watches for interference.

I agree everyone should be on the same page, but this rotation (or lack thereof) just makes more sense than having three umpires in the field of play trying to figure out who has which base and moving accordingly.

U1 has the back half of a rundown, U3 is waiting on the BR at second, and the PU will be waiting at third if the BR commits there. If a TWP happens and the BR heads home, U1 will be waiting there. There will be no play where the umpire has to run hard to get in position.