The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Question Foul Ball Called in Error

Hi - my first post here. Looking some advice on how we could have handled this one better. I am the base umpire, AAU game using FED rules.

2 outs, R1, 1-1 count on RH batter: pitch is way inside and I see/hear it hit the knob end of the bat, ball rolls towards me in B. PU immediately yells "foul", batter remains in box. Pitcher fields ball, and starts to play to first - I echo foul call.

Offense immediately wants to know why foul was called, shouts out "the ball hit the bat".

My partner comes out to talk to me. I tell him what I saw. He tells me "I heard it hit something".

Is it best to admit the foul ball call was wrong, or tell them the ball hit the bat, then the batter. Or something else.

BTW: my partner kept the batter at bat with another strike; 2 pitches later batter grounded out.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't lie about it. The PU needs to go tell the coach he blew it by calling it foul. If he "heard it hit something" he should know what it was before making the call.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

In FED, you have no choice by rule! If the umpire calls the ball FOUL, it is foul no matter what. If you are wrong, you swallow your pride and let the manager chew on you a little, then get on with the game.

In OBR, if the players react to the fall of FOUL, then again, you are stuck with it.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY87
Offense immediately wants to know why foul was called, shouts out "the ball hit the bat".
Even the PU wanted to know that huh?

Quote:
My partner comes out to talk to me. I tell him what I saw. He tells me "I heard it hit something".
Your partner came out to talk to you? What did he expect you to do after he had killed the play? I would have asked him what he thought it hit and suggested that he watch the ball better & not be so quick on the trigger.

Quote:
Is it best to admit the foul ball call was wrong, or tell them the ball hit the bat, then the batter. Or something else.
To lie or not to lie.......which will cause the least problems? Saying something that everyone thinks is wrong (but only half will say anything outloud) or admitt that you haven't a clue about what is going on? If you admit your mistake then they might question every play. But if you lie that ain't good either....not much help on this one huh?

Quote:
BTW: my partner kept the batter at bat with another strike; 2 pitches later batter grounded out.
That's baseball
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the PU thought the ball struck the batter after it hit the bat.

You can't unring this bell, and its not your call anyway. As BU you should only call a FOUL ball in the box IF you are absolutely sure you saw it and the PU missed it (screened out). But you must be ABSOLUTELY sure.

It doesnt work the other way around.

There's nothing to explain here. Its the PUs call, he called foul, play on.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
In FED, you have no choice by rule! If the umpire calls the ball FOUL, it is foul no matter what. If you are wrong, you swallow your pride and let the manager chew on you a little, then get on with the game.

In OBR, if the players react to the fall of FOUL, then again, you are stuck with it.
Correct, although entirely irrelevant to what he asked us.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To answer your actual question, I think lying when the coach really does know what happened will eliminate your credibility. Best way to handle this is just to say, "Coach - PU called it foul, and we can't unring that bell once he says it." If that isn't enough, PU could admit his mistake, but say that by rule there's nothing to do but play on. Occasionally admitting a screwup when they know you made one will actually AID your credibility as long as you're not having to fess up to something all the time!
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 01:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
To answer your actual question, I think lying when the coach really does know what happened will eliminate your credibility. Best way to handle this is just to say, "Coach - PU called it foul, and we can't unring that bell once he says it." If that isn't enough, PU could admit his mistake, but say that by rule there's nothing to do but play on. Occasionally admitting a screwup when they know you made one will actually AID your credibility as long as you're not having to fess up to something all the time!
Mike is right here. There have been times when I've gotten a call wrong, and I knew it, and when the coach came out to argue, I simply said, "Coach, I blew that one, but that's the call and it stands. I'll try to do better next time." That has never failed to end the argument and send the coach back to the dugout. I have had coaches tell me later that they appreciated the honesty and were glad that I didn't try to BS them by lying or defending my wrong call.

If I know I nailed the call, on the other hand, and the coach wants to argue, I'm going to give him all the argument he wants, and then some.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with mcrowder, Fess up and go on. If they want to be jerks and question every call, you can put a stop to it. Most often that is the end of an arguement. Also I think it does add to your credibility for the future. I have had to fess up to a mental mistake which was huge, nothing I could do to change it but it was my fault. I took the heat. a couple years later with the same coach he came out to argue something, and the conversation leaned toward was I mistaken, I simply said you know if I was wrong I would tell you I made a mistake, he stopped looked at me then said "yup you're right you would have." then turned and left end of problem.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Best way to handle this is just to say, "Coach - PU called it foul, and we can't unring that bell once he says it." If that isn't enough, PU could admit his mistake, but say that by rule there's nothing to do but play on. Occasionally admitting a screwup when they know you made one will actually AID your credibility as long as you're not having to fess up to something all the time!
As BU I would expect PU to do the talking to the coach. It was his foulup.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

As BU, my response to a coach inquiry would be short and sweet: "Once it's called foul, it's foul. No second kiss at the pig."

As PU, I would try to get away with a shrug and a simple "I called it foul coach." If he persists in dragging out a confession, I'd give it to him, certainly instead of lying about the basis for the call. "Yeah, coach I called it prematurely, sorry about that. Have the same problem in bed. Life's a *****. Now let's play."
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

If it is a close hitting the bat or the the batter there is no way the bu can tell what it hit. And if you do over rule that from a 100 feet away you better circle the wagons because you are in for you hell of a aguement know.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct, although entirely irrelevant to what he asked us.
Let's see, the original question was
Quote:
And I stated
Quote:

I thought I gave enough information. He can say what he wants but by the rules he has to deal with it in different ways. I am not about to tell him what he should and shouldn't say in this situation. You know as well as I do that you suck it up, tell the truth and eat the crow! So as far as I am concerned, the post was in fact, quite relevant.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

But Oz, he wasn't asking whether you have to stick with the FOUL call - he seemed to already know that. Your reply, while being correct information, did not answer his actual question. It merely reiterated something he already seemed to know.

He was asking - when you're stuck with a FOUL call that you made but you know was wrong, should you fess up to the mistake or invent an excuse ("or tell them the ball hit the bat, then the batter.").

You say:
Quote:
I am not about to tell him what he should and shouldn't say in this situation
But this is EXACTLY what he as asking for advice on ... what he should or shouldn't say.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

When in doubt

Quote:
Hi - my first post here. Looking some advice on how we could have handled this one better. I am the base umpire, AAU game using FED rules.

2 outs, R1, 1-1 count on RH batter: pitch is way inside and I see/hear it hit the knob end of the bat, ball rolls towards me in B. PU immediately yells "foul", batter remains in box. Pitcher fields ball, and starts to play to first - I echo foul call.

Its best to be honest, but to also use the rule book to your advantage.

Coach, its a foul ball because the PU called a foul. By rule, (since this is FED), if an umpire calls it foul its foul whether right or wrong ...

So, coach let's play ball.

Thanks
Daivd