The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Working the bases in a game played under Fed rules, the batter (with no outs and no runners on base) hits a ground ball between the first baseman and pitcher. My partner behind the plate, reacting to the sound of the ball hitting the bat, quickly calls a foul ball. However, he is suprised that despite the sound, the ball was obviously fair. Yet, because he had called "FOUL" so loudly, the batter-runner instantly returned to the plate. Thus, the defense easily retires the batter-runner at first. After the inning, we both laughed off the call, and luckily the coaches weren't upset by the play. However, in discussion, my partner and I wondered if the play should stand, or if his accidental, incorrect calling of "foul" should allow the batter a fair (no pun intended) chance.

Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Lilblue612

Working the bases in a game played under Fed rules, the batter (with no outs and no runners on base) hits a ground ball between the first baseman and pitcher. My partner behind the plate, reacting to the sound of the ball hitting the bat, quickly calls a foul ball. However, he is suprised that despite the sound, the ball was obviously fair. Yet, because he had called "FOUL" so loudly, the batter-runner instantly returned to the plate. Thus, the defense easily retires the batter-runner at first. In discussion, my partner and I wondered if the play should stand, or if his accidental, incorrect calling of "foul" should allow the batter a fair (no pun intended) chance.

The applicable rule for FED is rule 10-2-3L
The UIC shall rectify any situation in which an umpire's decision that was REVERSED has placed either team at a disadvantage.

When B1 reacted to the call of FOUL (he returned to the plate), you CANNOT change to Fair because that would put the offense at a disadvantage.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the reference to the Fed rule. However, since the call cannot be changed to fair, would a strike be added to the count because of the foul call?
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

"Thank you for the reference to the Fed rule. However, since the call cannot be changed to fair, would a strike be added to the count because of the foul call?"

The call would be a foul ball, just like any other foul ball. With less than two strikes, a strike would be added to the count. If you didn't add the strike, it wouldn't be treated as a foul, it would be more of a "no pitch" and that's not the case.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

"My partner behind the plate, reacting to the sound of the ball hitting the bat, quickly calls a foul ball."

Sorry coach. It SOUNDED foul. WOW!

Bob
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

"Sorry coach. It SOUNDED foul. WOW!"

Maybe it sounded like it hit the plate?

(giggle)
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

How does a ball sound foul? This reminds of my mother telling me on the phone in college that I sounded thin.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"My partner behind the plate, reacting to the sound of the ball hitting the bat, quickly calls a foul ball."

Sorry coach. It SOUNDED foul. WOW!

Bob
Lots of good blind umpire jokes in that statement.

Now we can expect coaches to start yelling at their catchers for not catching all of those pop ups behind the screen that sounded "fair".
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Not to sound the alarm papa c has state the only time to use 10-2-3l is to get the call right, and get the out in obr
you live with the foul call , the thread over their was " first pitch of the game " and the issue was really cooked
up by a lot of people , jon bible was against carl as well
as other's it's a good read , but it all boil's down to
the basic issue of " timming " it an't nothing til you call
it wait a moment find it , call it ,

One of the camp's I went to [ neuc 2002 , hollowell. timmons, ioassoga, ] GAVE A GOOD POINT on calling that
little squiber foul ball that hit's the batter and scoot's out as a DEAD BALL you avoid the hassle of explaining
why a ball that's in fair territory is foul , if the coach
did not see the contact that made it foul , and a FOUL BALL
is alway's a DEAD BALL .

I know I don't post here that often, but go read carl's
thought's on this matter, as well as other's , and remember
it's only in nfhs rules that you can do this .

mac
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

"Foul Ball...that's a catch."

The proper mechanic is to point foul, and signal and verbalize, "Catch".

Bob
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Foul Fly?

GarthB:
A fly ball is not fair until hits the ground or goes out of play foul. If the ball is one foot outside the foul line or 21 ft, the ball is live until something causes it to become foul. Just my interpretation.
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Question Correction

OOPS! Change Fair to Foul
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

A ball that is caught in live-ball territory is neither foul nor dead. The only signal from PU is "out!"
Old Fri Jul 05, 2002, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Fly ball

My point, it is not a foul ball until something causes the ball to go foul. A ball in foul territory is not foul. How can you signal foul before 2-16-1(a-d) is satified. If the fielder makes the catch,it is a catch and an out. You start calling foul balls on a catch, your asking for trouble. If a catch, live ball runners advance at own risk, Not a catch, foul ball-dead ball.
Old Sat Jul 13, 2002, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by Lilblue612

Working the bases in a game played under Fed rules, the batter (with no outs and no runners on base) hits a ground ball between the first baseman and pitcher. My partner behind the plate, reacting to the sound of the ball hitting the bat, quickly calls a foul ball. However, he is suprised that despite the sound, the ball was obviously fair. Yet, because he had called "FOUL" so loudly, the batter-runner instantly returned to the plate. Thus, the defense easily retires the batter-runner at first. In discussion, my partner and I wondered if the play should stand, or if his accidental, incorrect calling of "foul" should allow the batter a fair (no pun intended) chance.

The applicable rule for FED is rule 10-2-3L
The UIC shall rectify any situation in which an umpire's decision that was REVERSED has placed either team at a disadvantage.

When B1 reacted to the call of FOUL (he returned to the plate), you CANNOT change to Fair because that would put the offense at a disadvantage.

Pete Booth
PETER , Did you look at umpire.org thread, and how do you
feel you did not put the defensive team at an extreme disadvantage by them having to get four out's in this inning
the batter/ runner is never going to beat the throw ,
I am looking to see your thought's on this matter