The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

I am the official scorekeeper for jv/varsity games. The other night the referee called the foul on number 23, but all three of us at the scorers table could see that it was on 21, so we didnt know if he just called the wrong number or not, so we called him over. I motioned him over, and was going to explain why we called him over, when the visitor book started saying that she thought it was on 21, in a rude manor. He told her to cool down, and went to talk to the other official. He came back and he changed it to 21, but was snobby abou it. Ive had this happen at other games also, we call them over and do it orderly and the officials are good about it. I was just wondering what many of you feel what we should do.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Let's say 23 has 4 already. How do you think s/he feels when they're told that they now have to sit down?

The official needs a humble pie cookie and realize that he is not above the game. He should not talk rudely to you 3 - you are his colleagues!

In my opinion, you did the right thing.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkman
I am the official scorekeeper for jv/varsity games. The other night the referee called the foul on number 23, but all three of us at the scorers table could see that it was on 21, so we didnt know if he just called the wrong number or not, so we called him over. I motioned him over, and was going to explain why we called him over, when the visitor book started saying that she thought it was on 21, in a rude manor. He told her to cool down, and went to talk to the other official. He came back and he changed it to 21, but was snobby abou it. Ive had this happen at other games also, we call them over and do it orderly and the officials are good about it. I was just wondering what many of you feel what we should do.
You are correct to do it orderly and respectfully. You can see that when the visiting scorer became rude, the official didn't appreciate it. My guess is that if you had handled it, there probably wouldn't have been a problem.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

on behalf of all officials who've needed help like that from the table- thanks.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hawkman,
Nothing like a good scorekeeper -- an oh man, is there nothing like BAD one! Sounds like you're a big help.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing wrong with bringing it to the officials attention. I would love if a scorekeeper made sure I report the right numbers. Sometimes 23 turns into 32 and I hope that the scorer or coach will pick up on it. Remeber our job is to get it right, if we are reporting the wrong numbers then we're doing a dis-service to the players. Get it right and the game will go so much better.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Any of you ever had to toss a scorekeeper? I almost had the visitor's scorekeeper removed last Thursday night. The man was a chronic whiner all night long.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

In a game where a parent was scorekeeping I had to toss the scorekeeper. He had a comment for every call that went against his son. I reminded him after the first one that he was part of the officiating team and was expected to act accordingly or he would be replaced. He didn't get the picture and made another comment with the next call I made against his team. After that I asked for another volunteer from the audience and had this guy removed from the table.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 10:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
In a game where a parent was scorekeeping I had to toss the scorekeeper. He had a comment for every call that went against his son. I reminded him after the first one that he was part of the officiating team and was expected to act accordingly or he would be replaced. He didn't get the picture and made another comment with the next call I made against his team. After that I asked for another volunteer from the audience and had this guy removed from the table.
I thought you would have WHACKed him first.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I thought you would have WHACKed him first.
Am I that predictable???
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Any of you ever had to toss a scorekeeper? I almost had the visitor's scorekeeper removed last Thursday night. The man was a chronic whiner all night long.
Back in high school, I've had fellow scorekeepers (sometimes official, sometimes visiting) that I wish had been tossed.

Never happened, though.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I mentioned this some time back. I was watching a V game many years ago after doing the JV game. During the V game, the visiting coach suddenly goes to over to the table and grabs the scorekeeper by the tie and pulls him halfway across the table. Apparently, the scorekeeper was badmouthing the visiting players when they reported.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I've tossed a scorekeeper twice, and should have another time. If you've got to, you've got to, but it sure doesn't feel good.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of my partners (3-whistle) had the home score keeper removed a couple of years ago. She complained about everything and at one point refused to put something in the scorebook. My partner told her that she needed to mark what we said and keep her comments to herself or he would have her removed (I would have done it immediately). She asked if he knew who she was and he said, "Yes, you're the person that has just been removed from the table". AD had someone replace her for the rest of the game. Turns out that the lady that was removed was the home coach's wife.