The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Balk Enforcement

Our recent discussion on when to call time on a balk when ball four is delivered caused me to look closely at the MLBUM. I'm wondering if I haven't found a slight contradiction.

MLBUM

7.8 Penalty for Balk

When a balk is made on a pitch that is a fourth ball it shall be ruled the same as when the batter hits a balk pitch and is safe on a hit or error, provided all runners advance at least one base on the play. Therefore, with a runner on first, first and second, or first, second and third, when a balk is called on the fourth ball, the batter goes to first base and all runners advance at least one base. If they attempt to advance more than one base, they do so at their own risk. However, if first base is not occupied and all other runners do not advance at least one base on the play, the balk penalty prevails: The ball is dead; the batter returns to the batter's box and assumes the same ball and strike count as before the balk pitch; and all runners are allowed to advance one base as penalty for the balk.

I left the questionable text in red. It seems to me that in saying that if an unforced runner doesn't advance on ball four, there would be a situation such as a steal where an unforced runner could advance on ball four and be put in jeapordy should he advance beyond his next base. The contradiction comes later in 7.9 in regards to calling time after a balk.

MLBUM

7.9 CALLING "TIME" AFTER A BALK

(5) If the balk is followed by ball four delivered to the batter and is caught by the catcher, call "Time" and enforce the balk unless all runners advance one base because of ball four. In that situation, play proceeds without reference to the balk.

Am I overthinking this?

Tim.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I see the contradiction.
Quote:
When a balk is made on a pitch that is a fourth ball it shall be ruled the same as when the batter hits a balk pitch and is safe on a hit or error, provided all runners advance at least one base on the play.
So, here, the balk is enforced if not all runners advance on the 'play'.
Quote:
Therefore, with a runner on first, first and second, or first, second and third, when a balk is called on the fourth ball, the batter goes to first base and all runners advance at least one base. If they attempt to advance more than one base, they do so at their own risk.
Here, all runners have advanced as a result of the 'play', so we leave the ball live and are not enforcing the balk.
Quote:
7.9 CALLING "TIME" AFTER A BALK

(5) If the balk is followed by ball four delivered to the batter and is caught by the catcher, call "Time" and enforce the balk unless all runners advance one base because of ball four. In that situation, play proceeds without reference to the balk.
Here again, the only time the balk is not enforced is if all runners advance as a result of the play.

In short I suppose, is that umpires need to be aware of what happens to runners (forced or unforced) as a result of the batter becoming a runner on ball four when the pitcher balks.

How 'bout this:
In all of the following examples, F1 balks but delivers ball four to the batter.

R1, R1 and R2, Bases Loaded Balk not enforced because all runners (including BR) advance on the merit of the play.

R2 only, R3 only,R1 and R3, R2 and R3 Balk enforced because no runner is forced to advance.

Edited (twice) to fix balk enforced sitch.

Last edited by ctblu40; Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 05:10pm.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

7.9 Calling "time" After A Balk.

I couldn't find a contradiction. Although it appears to be additional text that validated the Bossman72 post on the original balk thread by ggk. Both are very informative on the question when to enforce the balk and whether the pitch counts.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 08:05pm.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't see any contradiction in the rule. In OBR, when a balk is followed by a play, if the runners do not advance on the play and the batter does not attain at least first base, the balk is enforced. Runners are awarded one base and the batter returns to the box with the same count as before the balk.

In other words, if the batter receives ball four and there is no runner on first, you are going to enforce the balk and return the batter to the box with the count previous to the balk.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 04:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
R2 only, R3 only, R1 and R2 Balk enforced because no runner is forced to advance.
Are you sure you didn't make an error in this sentence? Perhaps you meant R2 and R3, right? R1 and R2 the balk would not be enforced, as you pointed out in the previous sentence.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Are you sure you didn't make an error in this sentence? Perhaps you meant R2 and R3, right? R1 and R2 the balk would not be enforced, as you pointed out in the previous sentence.
You're right... what was I thinking?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
What about R1 and R3/R3 only?
Okay, okay... you guys got me again!

But I did mention R3 only...
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the contradiction I see. 7.8 seems to imply that an unforced runner can advance on a play after a balk on ball four. This contradicts 7.8 where time is to be called as soon as the catcher catches the ball. For all practical purposes it doesn't make a big difference as if the balk is enforced R2 would be given third. However, if it's not to be enforced he would be in jeapordy should he advance beyond third.

Tim.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Here's the contradiction I see. 7.8 seems to imply that an unforced runner can advance on a play after a balk on ball four. This contradicts 7.8 where time is to be called as soon as the catcher catches the ball. For all practical purposes it doesn't make a big difference as if the balk is enforced R2 would be given third. However, if it's not to be enforced he would be in jeapordy should he advance beyond third.

Tim.
I'm not see the same thing as you, Tim. I'm reading it to say that if a runner is not forced to advance because of ball four, the ball becomes dead and the umpire should enforce the balk.

I'm really struggling to see what you perceive to be a contradiction.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

However, if first base is not occupied and all other runners do not advance at least one base on the play, the balk penalty prevails:

If an unforced runner cannot advance on a ball four balk situation because time is to be called as soon as F2 catches the pitch, then why is the above provision provided. It either implys that an unforced runner can advance, or it's a useless statement. Turn it around and maybe you'll see what I'm getting at.

However, if first base is not occupied and all other runners do advance at least one base on the play, the balk penalty is disregarded.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 07:15pm.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

However, if first base is not occupied and all other runners do not advance at least one base on the play, the balk penalty prevails:

If an unforced runner cannot advance on a ball four balk situation because time is to be called as soon as F2 catches the pitch, then why is the above provision provided. It either implys that an unforced runner can advance, or it's a useless statement. Turn it around and maybe you'll see what I'm getting at.

However, if first base is not occupied and all other runners do advance at least one base on the play, the balk penalty is disregarded.

Tim.
Now I get where you're coming from... I think it's a useless statement.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
What if the ball four pitch is a passed ball/wild pitch?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tim.
Tim, I think what you're seeing as a contradiction is due to the not-explicitly-stated but still relevant difference between (1) a caught pitch, in which case time is called as soon as the pitch is caught, and the balk is enforced unless it was ball 4 and all runners are forced, and (2) an uncaught (wild pitch or passed ball) ball 4, in which the ball is left live because runners are free to advance BEYOND their protected one base award.

If you layer the "when to call time on a balk" instructions contained in the MLB Manual and the PBUC Manual into the rulings you're citing, I think you eliminate any perceived conflict or contradiction, and achieve a clearer understanding of exactly how to enforce a balk call, in every possible situation.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

You're right, Dave. I hadn't considered that the part of 7.8 that I was questioning was addressing the 'otherwise' provision of 8.05 penalty.

Tim.