The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Tense set of games this coming Sunday - How it went

We are down to the play-offs for the Mexican-American Adult league my son and I work on Sunday's.

We have been assigned a double header for two teams that have had lots of tension between them, and have already had one all-out brawl early in the season.

The league has asked me to give them some sort of "pep talk" to try to head off any tensions at the plate meetings.

Having this kind of a talk with two youth teams is no problem. But these are grown men (that act like babies sometimes) who don't want any kind of lecture from me, or any other official.

I'm thinking my best bet would be to pull my Stainless Steel Colt 45 Officers Model Semi-Automatic out of my ball bag, jack a round into the chamber, and just say, "I don't expect any trouble today...Right fellas ?"

Nick

Last edited by nickrego; Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 11:48pm.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I wouldn't want to set a negative tone to start the game. I'd hold a normal plate conference keeping it brief and to the point. If they want to act like idiots during the game then I'd start dumping them early and often.

Tim.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

I agree with holding a normal plate conference. The only thing to add is if there is a "bean ball" history, give them the warning right then and there. You are allowed to do that by the rules. Otherwise, don't bring anything up.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Adults are easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
We are down to the play-offs for the Mexican-American Adult league my son and I work on Sunday's.

We have been assigned a double header for two teams that have had lots of tension between them, and have already had one all-out brawl early in the season.

The league has asked me to give them some sort of "pep talk" to try to head off any tensions at the plate meetings.

Having this kind of a talk with two youth teams is no problem. But these are grown men (that act like babies sometimes) who don't want any kind of lecture from me, or any other official.

I'm thinking my best bet would be to pull my Stainless Steel Colt 45 Officers Model Semi-Automatic out of my ball bag, jack a round into the chamber, and just say, "I don't expect any trouble today...Right fellas ?"
The fact that you are working with adults should make it easier.

They know what's at stake, they know what's happened in the past.

Address it quickly and firmly and move on. Guys this is a big game as you know, we're here to play baseball. Anything else and you will pay the price.

And then proceed. As suggested, the first sign of trouble or any kind, start with ejecting the best players.

Thansk
David
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Years ago I worked some Mex-Am games up north of Sacramento and they ejoyed fighting then too. In fact team mates fought with each other. I remember standing back and watching them go at it (writing down names/numbers). When the cops arrived I started ejecting people..... I only worked 3 games for that league.

Have fun
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Anything else and you will pay the price.
Find a way to say this without the threat. Nothing worse than starting the plate conference with a threat. I prefer, "I don't want to be forced to send anyone to their cars." or something along those lines.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Here are the ground rules - blah.blah,blah

"And lets have a good Clean game out here Fellas" Let's Go.

There you go.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
The fact that you are working with adults should make it easier.

They know what's at stake, they know what's happened in the past.

Address it quickly and firmly and move on. Guys this is a big game as you know, we're here to play baseball. Anything else and you will pay the price.

And then proceed. As suggested, the first sign of trouble or any kind, start with ejecting the best players.

Thansk
David
As suggested, the first sign of trouble or any kind, start with ejecting the best players.

Even if they're not involved with any wrong doing, or overly complaining?

Bob
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I think I know where he was going with that, Bob. I've never had to do it but I know guys who've turned to the dugout after they've issued a warning for what they feel was continuing violent disapproval and tossed the pitcher and the catcher just to prove a point.

Tim.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
As suggested, the first sign of trouble or any kind, start with ejecting the best players.

Even if they're not involved with any wrong doing, or overly complaining?

Bob
I've called these leagues before. You know everyone, everyone knows you!

Of course since they know me, they know they can't start "anything", but just in case they want to start something with my partner, I'm there.

That's how you handle adult leagues like this.

And when you call these leagues you know that its always the best players that do all the complaining ... they want all the breaks to go alone with their fading talents ...

Lots of fun, but good money!

Thanks
David
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

yea but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
Make sure you ask both teams if all their players and legally and properly equipted!!!!! Seriously, I think that my partners are amazed sometimes as to how short my pre-games are. Line-ups, groundrules, ...pretty much it. Oh, I did tell both teams once " may the force be with us!". I think that one of the movies was playing in the theaters at the time! ha ha Chris
But in these leagues properly equipped might be a knife and a handgun.

Have to be careful what you ask for (g)

Thansk
David
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Definitely need to keep it positive...Something like;

"Congratulations fellas for making it to the playoffs. Lets play these games with respect for each other's accomplishments that got you both here, and respect for the game."

And leave it at that. Both teams know me and my son, and know that we don't put up with ANY ****. I figure if I start out treating them like responsible adults, they may, act like responsible adults.

Nick
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It sounds as though your thread is a League problem. It is not our job to give pep talks at the Plate conference.

In my area, the league presidents have clamped down on the adult leagues.

Suspensions and even bans have been issued. They have fines for cursing etc. If there are trouble-makers they should have been dealt with long before this game.

As mentioned it sounds as though this league is lax on handing down punishments.

You simply do your job. Have a "quick" trigger finger and if the game starts to resemble Monday Night RAW and it's apparent that the particpants are not there to play baseball but to have a golden glove competition, simply Stop the game and head for your car. Write up a report and until this league gets their act together do not take assignments.

The adult leagues can be the most difficult because some of these guys still think they should be playing high calibur ball. The league has to clamp down.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

How it went...

I decided not to say anything, and just treat it like any other set of games.

Overall, it went OK, with no big issues.

The home team, 10 run'd the visitor's in both games. There was some taunting, which usually was started by the home team, but we nipped it in the bud as soon as we heard it, and the teams would calm down.

I did almost eject the Home Team Manager though. He kept complaining about the uniforms of two of the visiting team's players.

In the first game, he complained about one guy who was wearing an older all white uniform, instead of the current all gray uniform. This did not pose an issue, since the home team was red. I told him that since we are at the end of the season, how about if we just let it go, and play baseball. He said he would have to confer with his team. He did, and came back with,"OK, lets play." Smart move on his part !

In the second game, he complained and was upset because one of the players had the older blue hat instead of the current red hat. I asked him if he had complained about it to the league earlier in the season, since it seamed to be such a big deal for him. He said he did, and the league's response was, "Your going to beat them anyway, so don't sweat it." I asked him if he thought that player wearing a different color was going to affect their ability to play ? He said no, but it is against league rules. I said, "look, the league already said it was not a big deal, so I am not going to make a big deal about it. We have bigger things to worry about here, so lets just get this game over with." I guess he got the message, and said, "OK, lets play."

After he walked away, I quietly told my partner, if he comes out to either one of us again to complain about a pissy uniform issue again, we dump him. Fortunately, he didn't, so we didn't.

One other thing that killed me...Late in the second game, one of the home team players came out to me between innings saying one the visiting team players was flashing Gang Signals at them. I said, "Look, I wouldn't know a gang signal if they shot it at me from a gun, so there is nothing I can do about it." I looked the player's way and said, "Come on. Look at that scrawny little kid. He probably still uses Mr. Bubble when he takes a bath. He would crap his pants if he saw a real gang. Let's just get through the inning, and you can put up the win and send them home. OK ?" The guy started laughing and said, "Yeah, no problem. Thanks."

I have much less issues with the kids leagues than with the supposed adult leagues. No wonder the world is such a mess !

Nick