The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Diamond throat guard (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/28131-diamond-throat-guard.html)

LLPA13UmpDan Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:48pm

Diamond throat guard

Do any of you guys use one of those new diamond throat guards, that go around snap around to the bottom of the frame. I just got a new one for my mask, previously i used a regualar wilson one, but it was annoying how it banged up against the bottom of my mask all the time. this one just snaps around the bar and doesnt bang at all. much less annoying :D any of you got one?

bob jenkins Mon Sep 04, 2006 07:10am

I don't have one, but I've never noticed a problem with the current one (or any prior one) "banging up against the mask."

LLPA13UmpDan Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:38am

The "extended" part of my mask, Wilson Dynalite, struts out more then other masks, so it ends up hitting the bottom bar with a regular throat guard.

kylejt Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:02am

Hang your throat protector from the bottom, or closest bar, instead of the protruding extention. At least for me, it offers better protection as it covers the gap between my neck and my chest protecter a whole lot better.

blackjack21 Mon Sep 04, 2006 02:52pm

I wear a hockey style mask over my hat, which I wear backwards, but I have attached a throat protector to the bottom of my mask and it does not bang around. The main thing is to not let it dangle too much. It works very well, especially when I am working little league games.

ctblu40 Mon Sep 04, 2006 02:57pm

Backwards hat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackjack21
I wear a hockey style mask over my hat, which I wear backwards, but I have attached a throat protector to the bottom of my mask and it does not bang around. The main thing is to not let it dangle too much. It works very well, especially when I am working little league games.

So do you ever take your HSM off during a game? If so, you just wear your hat backwards? :confused:
I don't know where you're from, but something like that would get you labeled quickly here...

Carbide Keyman Mon Sep 04, 2006 05:01pm

Quote:

He has already been labelled.

A troll

ozzy6900 Mon Sep 04, 2006 07:19pm

Quote:

I am not even going to address the "hat on backward" thing - it is ludicrous. But please tell me - why oh why would you wear a "dangler" on a hockey style mask?

LLPA13UmpDan Mon Sep 04, 2006 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I am not even going to address the "hat on backward" thing - it is ludicrous. But please tell me - why oh why would you wear a "dangler" on a hockey style mask?

same thing i was gunna ask? No need wear one with an HSM. Also, either dont wear a hat, or atleast wear it forward, like MLB Umpire Bill Welke does with his HSM.

LLPA13UmpDan Mon Sep 04, 2006 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt
Hang your throat protector from the bottom, or closest bar, instead of the protruding extention. At least for me, it offers better protection as it covers the gap between my neck and my chest protecter a whole lot better.

I had it there first, but it bangs even more the way the mask frame is designed, and its more annoying then ever. Im happy with my new one that just has the wrap around snap thing, doesnt make a sound. The littleest things annoy me sometimes.

Rich Mon Sep 04, 2006 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I had it there first, but it bangs even more the way the mask frame is designed, and its more annoying then ever. Im happy with my new one that just has the wrap around snap thing, doesnt make a sound. The littleest things annoy me sometimes.

I have never worn one of these things with an extended mask. Others I have great respect for have. I assume you feel like you need one of these....

LMan Tue Sep 05, 2006 08:10am

Quote:

Good way to avoid that is to link 2 or 3 danglers together, and then tuck the bottom one into your shirt.

LLPA13UmpDan Tue Sep 05, 2006 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Good way to avoid that is to link 2 or 3 danglers together, and then tuck the bottom one into your shirt.

How do i take my mask off then?? :D :rolleyes:

left coast Tue Sep 05, 2006 05:48pm

Quote:

How do i take my mask off then?? :D :rolleyes:

With your right hand.....of course.

LomUmp Tue Sep 05, 2006 06:33pm

Quote:

same thing i was gunna ask? No need wear one with an HSM.

Hey all,

Here's one reason that I have heard, even thought it has a limited perspective. One umpire that does LL noted that not only for safety reasons would he wear one, but also to show the kids, who MUST wear one, that it's a piece of safety equipment that he doesn't mind wearing, even though he does not have to.

In our LL, we don't have anyone who uses a HSM, but we do have a couple of catchers that do. It's still a good example to set for kids of that age. I have seen kids that have TRIED ( and failed!) to not have a dangling throat guard on a HSM or will tuck the bottom flap on their CP under so it won't get in the way.

LomUmp:cool: