The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Working with a bad partner.

I'm interested in knowing how you handle working with a (for lack of a better term) bad partner. One who shouldn't be working a high caliber game. Not one who missed a strike or kicked a call. A partner who has poor mechanics doesn't communicate on the field such as rotations, coverage etc. and doesn't where a proper uniform.

1. Do you "rat him out" to your assignor.
2. Just get through the game go home and never work with him again.
3. Talk to him after the game. Actually I tried this and he wasn't very receptive.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

1 - YES!!! How would the assignor know unless people tell him?

2 - Well, yes, get through the game, but there are MANY umpires who are not that "good", and if I start picking and choosing who I will work with again based upon the criteria you listed above, that list would be quite small. Really. MOST umpires at the amature level have one of more of the above problems! I guess your best policy is to never say never! You never know if that guy will move above you!

3 - Yes. Indeed, I have had many guys not take the critisism too well, but that is THEIR problem. I leave myself open to critisism, and ask my partner to discuss even VERY SMALL details about the job I do. If they think my hands look funny at my side in between pitches, I want to know about that so I can get some more opinions and possibly change what I do with my hands. Anyway, I don't expect most people that I work with to wish to be the best umpire they can be, but, no matter what, they should at least be receptive to hearing about what I felt they are not doing so well, and if some of the critisism is severe, all the better! They got paid just as much as I did to do that game, and they should SERVICE the game to the best of their abilities. If their abilities are limited, then I have just given them ideas on how to increase their abilities! I will not pussy foot around with critisism. If my partner sucks, I may not say "You suck, and here is why", but I am for sure going to talk about major, important problems they displayed as an umpire.

1st and 2nd year umpires, I cut them a lot of slack. Even up through about the 4th or 5th year, I try to not get too picky about the little details. But after that, I think sticking around for more than 4 or 5 years means you want to pursue this advocation at a higher level, and thus, you SHOULD be open to senior umpires doing detailed critiques about your work!
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'll answer your question from the assignor's point of view.

FIRST, try number 3 - if they are receptive, great, it ends there unless you work with them again and again and they still aren't getting it - THEN I want to hear about it.

NEVER try number 2 - It's hard enough to schedule without worrying about accomodating the "I won't work with X" requests. Likely, right or wrong, it will end up being YOU pushed out of assignments instead of the other way around ... unless of course I get 5 guys telling me they won't work with so-and-so.

And YES, please use number 1. Even if it's small ("Hey, this guy is on top of his zone and missing the bottoms" or "This guy doesn't get down the 1BL at all, and didn't listen to me when I mentioned it") or large ("This guy called IFF 3 times with 2 outs, and ejected a guy for no reason (or the reverse!)") - I want to know. How can my crews improve if no one is willing to give or accept input.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Mick says it best. "Get in, get done, get out."

Unless the guy does something ultra-unprofessional, I would not report this to the assignor. Now if I am asked by the assignor, I will give my opinion. I just do not think it is my place to "rat" them out on my own.

If the umpire and I are on the same level, it is usually easier to talk to them if they are willing to learn or willing to discuss situation. When someone has accomplished everything, those umpires are harder to talk to. So you have to read the person and decide if it is even worth it to have a discussion.

Ultimately if the assignor put them on the game, there was a reason. It is not my job to start telling assignor who is worthy and who is not. If an umpire is that bad, the assignor will find out. Their body of work will tell on them. I do not need to add fuel to the fire.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Mick says it best. "Get in, get done, get out."

Unless the guy does something ultra-unprofessional, I would not report this to the assignor. Now if I am asked by the assignor, I will give my opinion. I just do not think it is my place to "rat" them out on my own.

If the umpire and I are on the same level, it is usually easier to talk to them if they are willing to learn or willing to discuss situation. When someone has accomplished everything, those umpires are harder to talk to. So you have to read the person and decide if it is even worth it to have a discussion.

Ultimately if the assignor put them on the game, there was a reason. It is not my job to start telling assignor who is worthy and who is not. If an umpire is that bad, the assignor will find out. Their body of work will tell on them. I do not need to add fuel to the fire.

Peace
I agree to a point. Earlier this season, I worked an Adult (NABF) wood bat league game and this was my partners first year. I had the stick, and he had some real troubles (routinely out of position, letting the players talk him into asking for help, ect.) It was a long night.

The way I usually approach this is to ask them after the game if they "have anything" on me. Meaning, did you see me do something that you thought was wrong or just plain looked bad.

This usually opens up discussion. They bring up a point, and I either explain why what I did was correct or I learn that I'm doing something a bit "off."

As far as going to the assignor, if he asks, I give my opinion. Otherwise, I move on. There was one instance that I called and requested to not work with a certain umpire. I had a banger at second on a steal attempt. I called the runner out and the manager came out on me and was irate. I felt 100% that I had it right. Skip managed to stay in the game. Between innings, I'm in short right field and I look in and see my partner sitting on the bench next to that manager drinking water. In the parking lot after the game, Skip comes by and says, "Even ______ knows you blew that one."

I was pi$$ed! I haven't worked with him since!
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
I think you have received some pretty good advice so far. Some of the things I agree with whole heartedly. I assign umpires for 36 schools, most of which have varsity and JV teams and some have Frosh. teams. I handle a lot of games every season and utilize a lot of umpires. I work my own schedule as well, but, I make an effort to watch any new umpires or weaker umpires. It is my opinion that I must have a line of communication with my umpires. It doesn't always have to be a bad thing. I received several calls from umpires commending their partners jobs. Those comments were then passed on.

Once I receive a call on one of my umpires, good or bad, I try to get to the yard and watch them work. On occassion I may watch them more than once before I make any comments too them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I have to have feedback, good and bad, from my umpires about their partners because it is not possible for me to get around and see everyone work.

Hang tough and always remember to be respectful when giving advice.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine27

Once I receive a call on one of my umpires, good or bad, I try to get to the yard and watch them work. On occassion I may watch them more than once before I make any comments too them.
This is a good point since everyone (except me ) has a bad game once in a while!
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I will say this...

one of the best things that can really motivate a younger umpire to motivate them to become even better, maybe attend school, and persue their umpiring career futher is to actually PRAISE THEM.

It happened to me, 19 years old, and I now figure that if older guys in the association like my work so much, maybe I have a good future. Now, after college, I want to go to umpiring school. That umpire's evaluation of me makes me realize that I am a good umpire, and that good umpire's need to be open to evaluation and critique.

Just my experience, I'm not going to make a theory that you should praise weak umpires.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I will say this...

one of the best things that can really motivate a younger umpire to motivate them to become even better, maybe attend school, and persue their umpiring career futher is to actually PRAISE THEM.

It happened to me, 19 years old, and I now figure that if older guys in the association like my work so much, maybe I have a good future. Now, after college, I want to go to umpiring school. That umpire's evaluation of me makes me realize that I am a good umpire, and that good umpire's need to be open to evaluation and critique.

Just my experience, I'm not going to make a theory that you should praise weak umpires.
I agree!

Recently I worked two Adult League games with a new umpire (one year HS experience, JV level). I was expecting him to be in over his head (like a few other new guys I worked with recently) but the guy was good....very good! I made it a point to let him know that he was doing a good job. After the first game I spent 20-minutes talking things over with him, mainly praising him. I told him that I'd ask the assignor to let me work with him again (which he did 2 days later).

After the second game (he worked bases both games) I told him that if his plate work was as good as his base work he should consider giving it a try. I have one more game with him this week, he'll be on the plate.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
The way I usually approach this is to ask them after the game if they "have anything" on me. Meaning, did you see me do something that you thought was wrong or just plain looked bad.

This usually opens up discussion. They bring up a point, and I either explain why what I did was correct or I learn that I'm doing something a bit "off."
I think this is an excellent way to approach the subject. Some guys, most I hope, would be receptive to constructive criticism. Others don't want to hear squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
As far as going to the assignor, if he asks, I give my opinion. Otherwise, I move on. There was one instance that I called and requested to not work with a certain umpire. I had a banger at second on a steal attempt. I called the runner out and the manager came out on me and was irate. I felt 100% that I had it right. Skip managed to stay in the game. Between innings, I'm in short right field and I look in and see my partner sitting on the bench next to that manager drinking water. In the parking lot after the game, Skip comes by and says, "Even ______ knows you blew that one."
Usually I would only say something to the assignor if they asked; or, if I have a very good relationship with that assignor. In a case like you cited where your partner hung you out to dry I'd definately make mention of it.

I'd also add - if you have something negative to say, expecially to a less-experienced umpire, try to start with a positive. I think it makes the recipient feel more receptive if there's some praise to balance the discussion.

Last edited by waltjp; Wed Aug 23, 2006 at 07:34pm.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Talk to him after the game. Actually I tried this and he wasn't very receptive.

Now, Gordon, I listened to what you had to say that night, I just did not agree with your assessment.

Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I do not complain about bad umpires to my assignor (he doesn't want to hear that), but I do make a big deal (verbally and follow-up e-mail) when I work with a good partner. My non-reaction to others might fall in the category of "damning by faint praise."
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

To be PC or not to be PC ...

"How" we say something is just as, if not more, important as "what" we are trying to say.

If I have a "bad" partner (constantly out of position, uniform probs, poor timing, red*a*s*s* looking for problems, no communication, etc ...) yes, I will bring it up in my own way.

I usually don't have conversations with my partner during the game, unless it's crucial. It's not rude, just being professional about it ... and that's part of my pre-game. "If we need to talk about something in between innings, give me the sign. Otherwise, we'll hook up after the game."

After the game, I'll never just offer my opinion about what they need to work on. That is not my place. If they ask, but are the type of person who just wants to look and sound like they're receptive, then I just blow it off and make a mental note to watch to see if they've made any changes if I'm ever assigned with this person again.

I also have a good working relationship with our board, who makes recommendations to the assignor. I'll let them know, because apparently they respect my opinion. Earlier in my career, I just kept it to myself. As I have worked my way "up," and have earned their respect, they've come to me for my opinion on a few others.

If it's an umpire that I think is not ready for upper-level games, I'll always give a Bad News Sandwich (here's what they did well, here's what they need to work on, here's what I think will happen if they work on these things ... bad news in between good news).
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 12:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1231

If it's an umpire that I think is not ready for upper-level games, I'll always give a Bad News Sandwich.
Now you went and made me hungry, thanks a lot!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I got mine......

A$$ handed to me a decade ago. I pull no punches, nor sugarcoat anything. Had one kid remember an ejection of mine from 4 years ago at the collegiate level, tells me "that was great umpiring", none of the other guys would have the balls.This is NOT rocket science, that clown on the video clip that has a tizzy fit after he gets it right, WOW!!!!!!!!! If I f-up, let me know.....I sure will reciprocate the same