The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

If the members do not mind I would like to get away from the rules / mechanics type threads for a moment, especially after my last debacle. I have 2 topics in mind and rather than make 2 threads I decided to make 1. If others want they can expand or make a new thread from the below topics.

1. Moving-Up
I would like to thank the members of this and other Boards for what I feel contributed to my upgrade in "status". In HS I have been upgraded from a level 3 official to a level 2.

The NY association I belong to has 4 numeric codes for grading officials with level 4 being the entry level grade. Level 1 is the highest.

While I appreciate the updrade, I will now venture into "uknown waters". By "uknown waters" I mean different players and coaches.

While we all want to move up, there is a certain level of comfort in umpiring games in which we know the players and the coaches. We know who has a "quick fuse", what we can expect from each coach etc. The coaches / players know what to expect from you and you in turn know what to expect from them.

Therefore, I seek advice on what I can expect as I encounter different coaches / players. Will these new coaches try and "test me" as a Quarterback in Football would test a rookie cornerback?

Also, I will be working with some "old Vets" who are set in their ways. The one good thing about working at the level 3 / 4 grade is that the "new guys" are not afraid to try some new things (other than the norm) which have been mentioned in past threads on this Forum. However, I will now be working with umpires who have some 20 - 25 years experience. Again advice on this issue would be appreicated.

Number 2. Working with the same partner.

In HS I realize this is a hard task for an assignor because each one of us has our own work schedules, but I personally like working with someone whom I am familiar with especially in a crucial game. Also, as mentioned above, I also like working with someone who is not afraid to try new
mechanics other than what has been the norm for years.

What's your views on working with a familiar partner?

Pete Booth
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

Also, I will be working with some "old Vets" who are set in their ways. The one good thing about working at the level 3 / 4 grade is that the "new guys" are not afraid to try some new things (other than the norm) which have been mentioned in past threads on this Forum. However, I will now be working with umpires who have some 20 - 25 years experience. Again advice on this issue would be appreicated.

Number 2. Working with the same partner.

In HS I realize this is a hard task for an assignor because each one of us has our own work schedules, but I personally like working with someone whom I am familiar with especially in a crucial game. Also, as mentioned above, I also like working with someone who is not afraid to try new
mechanics other than what has been the norm for years.

What's your views on working with a familiar partner?

Pete Booth
if it's a partner who I work well with, can't wait for the next time to work together again. There are great umpires who are terrific on their own but terrible to work with and contribute negatively to the crew and then there are those who are good but are able to make their partner better. I've worked with both.
One guy I worked with was also the assigner for local rec ball. Working the bases with him one day in his rec league, for some reason, the outfield lights were pretty bad (good enough for the players to catch balls but bad that the PU would have trouble making the calls), pre-game, we agreed that I would take all outfield calls, even with runners on base since we were both quite experienced at 1-man games and to hustle back in to help out on calls. We probably ignored every single "proper" mechanic out there but we communicated well and someone was always where a call needed to be made. He even let me take the B/R all the around to home plate on an inside the park HR.

the old timers who are too set in their place can be a problem. One of our 60 year old HS vet umps insists on using outdated ASA mechanics for Fed ball. He says he's been using them for 30 years and refuses to change. He doesn't want the BU going out ever, even with the bases empty, which I found a bit odd, and he also insists on telling us not to draw attention to ourselves while he does everything he can to draw attention to himself with extra flamboyant calls.
And then, we have some 80 year old umpires who are willing to deviate a lot from the proper mechanics and are a pleasure to work with.

i suppose some umps try to ump games as if it's earl weaver vs billy martin. I don't worry about that. If I get a fool of a coach who's brazen enough to behave like that, I'll simply eject him.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I'm curious, just because I don't think this is something I would do -- why does someone go back to a post that's 10-years old and respond to it?
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Didn't notice
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm curious, just because I don't think this is something I would do -- why does someone go back to a post that's 10-years old and respond to it?
So how did it arrive here, 10 year's late?
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was formulating the perfect answer?
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 01:39am

Since you opened it back up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
He doesn't want the BU going out ever, even with the bases empty, which I found a bit odd,~snip~
He was really saying, "Hey, I'm too f-ing old and/or fat and/or lazy to take the batter runner to 2nd, or heaven forbid, 3rd base. I plan to park my old/fat/lazy a$$ back here at home plate and tend to my garden."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would say that it's likely that he didn't realize it was a ten year old thread. I'm not one of them, but some people use the "Previous Thread / Next Thread" links at the bottom of each thread. Picture this situation:

You're reading a recent thread. Somebody posts a link to an old thread where the topic was discussed. You click on it and read through it. When you get to the bottom, you click on the "Next Thread" link like you have a habit of doing. You continue reading old threads (not realizing just how old they are) and before long you have something to add to a conversation. Unfortunately, the conversation had pretty much wrapped up about the time that you were just beginning to officiate. So, everybody has a good laugh at your expense, nobody gets hurt and the world keeps turning.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I want to know how Pete's situation was handled and how it turned out for him

-Josh