The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Working with a weaker partner

After using this forum for the last several years, I think it's safe to assume that most, if not all, of the posters here have a desire to be the best umpire they can be and work hard to achieve that goal.

My question is: how do you handle working with a partner that is "less committed" to that goal? I'm not talking about a new or younger official that is learning and making his mistakes along the way, but the guy who is just not a very good umpire, or who is just out there for the $$ and acts like it.

For me, I'm going to cover my responsibilities and "trust" him to cover his. I refuse to try to do both umpires jobs.

Anybody else?
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
After using this forum for the last several years, I think it's safe to assume that most, if not all, of the posters here have a desire to be the best umpire they can be and work hard to achieve that goal.

My question is: how do you handle working with a partner that is "less committed" to that goal? I'm not talking about a new or younger official that is learning and making his mistakes along the way, but the guy who is just not a very good umpire, or who is just out there for the $$ and acts like it.

For me, I'm going to cover my responsibilities and "trust" him to cover his. I refuse to try to do both umpires jobs.

Anybody else?
I'm going to give the teams my best game. The partner is either going to step up his/her game or possibly be embarrassed.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I agree, but let's not ignore that your partner messing up can embarass you and make you look bad as well. This is especially true because most coaches/players/specs don't know our responsibilities and mechanics. Also, any call they don't like can be blamed on the crew, not just the malingerer.

Example, call at 3rd blamed on BU who started in B slot, because PU didn't move.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Never said I wouldn't cover the game to the best of my ability. If I need to make a call that's not mine, I'll do it.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Well, I also think that most of the coaches in the area know me and my ability fairly well. I've had weaker partners and most coaches recognize that as well. I've had coaches say to me "How'd you get stuck with him?" Or they will meet me in the parking lot and BEG me to take the plate. Coaches know who is doing a good job and who they don't want - they can't scratch everyone!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Never said I wouldn't cover the game to the best of my ability. If I need to make a call that's not mine, I'll do it.

Generally, I agree. However, there are times when working with this type of partner there is nothing that can be done. I was working a HS playoff with a neutral(working for two schools we don't normally service) three man crew this year, and our partner at first was one of these "just in it for the money" guys. He blew multiple calls that weren't even bangers, got in the way of the play twice, and in general was terrible. The winning coach emailed our association's president and assignor and complained about the crew, not just that one umpire, although every play he cited in his email was this weak partner's call. Subsequently, I told both the assignor and the president to scratch me from any further games with this guy, if I am to be held accountable for his poor mechanics and rules knowledge.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Never said I wouldn't cover the game to the best of my ability.
Neither did I, nor did I think you did, just gave an example the kind of thing that gets blamed on the wrong umpire because the c/p/s don't know our mechanics.

Quote:
If I need to make a call that's not mine, I'll do it.
Of course, I think we all would.