The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

In our town we have a strong Biddy Basketball program and I often do games for the sake of the kids, as they are always desperate for ref's. However a lot of the ref's are inexperienced making calls and using mechanics that are wrong. As a result I often feel the need to assert control and correct the error. I am torn between not wanting to embarass anyone and yet wanting good officiating to occur. Can anyone relate and give pointers on good response techniques. Thanks!
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I just wait until half time or after the game and point out, "I noticed ..., and I think it might have been better if you had ..." Say it with a smile and a pleasant attitude. Assignor Gary would approach you with a question like "Do you know why the two players were on the ground." After you give your Idonno answer, then he would ask if you know how you could fix the problem. If you totally admit ignorance then he would give you the answer. He lets the socratic method work.
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Weaver on 12-20-1999 01:35 AM
In our town we have a strong Biddy Basketball program and I often do games for the sake of the kids, as they are always desperate for ref's. However a lot of the ref's are inexperienced making calls and using mechanics that are wrong. As a result I often feel the need to assert control and correct the error. I am torn between not wanting to embarass anyone and yet wanting good officiating to occur. Can anyone relate and give pointers on good response techniques. Thanks!

Douglas,
I was just going out the door and thought I would check the discussion on the board. Although I have not thought of any real good advice other than what Tim has already mentioned, I do know what you are talking about and can relate to it very well. Even though I am somewhat a new official I did some intramural 5 & 6th grade games this last Saturday. They use a running clock to make the games go faster since they have several of them to get in. Talking about screwing up your own mechanics and not being able to enforce all the rules the way they should be. Actually even though it is for a great cause it sure can mess up your professional officiating especially for a newer official like me.

Thanks to officials like you, the kids are able to get the experience!!

BSL
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Don Shannon
Doug, use that old thing called a "Pre-Game" and when working with a brand new official or a rookie have them work on one thing per quarter, like blowing the whistle and getting a hand up to stop the clock. I also believe it's a good thing to do is as i fall asleep is to run a few game situations through the "ol' Computer" and visualize my game and make some changes to my personal mechanics.
Happy Holidays to all you Zebra's out their!

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Sticking my neck out a little here....

As an "inexperienced" ref myself, I have to say that it's probably a good idea for the less experienced partner to be up-front and acknowledge that. I have no problem saying to a more experienced ref, "let me know if you see anything I should fix." That should make it easier for the veteran to help me out.

It seems like the natural thing to do since it can only work to my benefit.