Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Oh my!

Joe;

I just hate dealing with the uninitiated:

"A Slam" is unsuccessful if you ignore it . . . good for you.

However, I just think you're dumb and didn't recognize it.

Regards,
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
Good idea, I will.

I LOVE this game!

Why I am going to seriously try to understand you, I do not know...here is a try.

I think it is a bad idea to be a jerk to a young umpire so, you think that means I only umpire on a "small diamond"? That makes no sense.

A lot of us guys that umpire on "big diamonds" like to be friendly and help out young guys. Furthermore, I like to not be a jerk to yung guys whether they are umpires or not. I am so sorry that I have let you down, Tee.

Joe
Some fine English there, Shakespeare.

"I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule" - Ron Luciano
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Joe;

I just hate dealing with the uninitiated:

"A Slam" is unsuccessful if you ignore it . . . good for you.

However, I just think you're dumb and didn't recognize it.

Regards,
If by "uninitiated", you must mean someone that sees you for the pompous jerk that you are. Yep...that's me! Uninitiated!

Joe
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

What a putz!

Joe:

All you have done is an an additional adjective to my resume . . . it is strange no one, before you, has called be pompous . . .

Add that to condesending, etc. and I am a league leader.

Joe, you can't come close to being a threat . . . you're obviously a small diamond baby sitter.

Regards,
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Joe:

All you have done is an an additional adjective to my resume . . . it is strange no one, before you, has called be pompous . . .

Add that to condesending, etc. and I am a league leader.

Joe, you can't come close to being a threat . . . you're obviously a small diamond baby sitter.

Regards,
A "threat"? What the heck are you talking about? Too much Jim Beam tonight?
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Tee, it would seem JWash thinks you should add sot to that list, also.

Last edited by umpduck11; Sun Aug 20, 2006 at 09:24pm.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Tee? Drink Jim Beam? I know he has better taste than that.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

When all you paragons of virtue are done sniping at each other, please note, there is no such thing as a dropped third strike. The proper terminology is, a third strike not caught.

Also, rule books don't include mechanics. There is no specific mechanic for a third strike not caught.

1..The B/R attempts to reach 1B.

2..The catcher retrieves the ball, and throws to 1B in an attempt to retire the B/R.

3..The BU makes a 'safe' or 'out' call.

Fairly simple.

Bob
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
When all you paragons of virtue are done sniping at each other, please note, there is no such thing as a dropped third strike. The proper terminology is, a third strike not caught.

Also, rule books don't include mechanics. There is no specific mechanic for a third strike not caught.

1..The B/R attempts to reach 1B.

2..The catcher retrieves the ball, and throws to 1B in an attempt to retire the B/R.

3..The BU makes a 'safe' or 'out' call.

Fairly simple.

Bob
Okay,

Dan asked a legitimate question, one for which the answer lies not in the rule book.

He did not ask "what is an uncaught 3rd strike," but rather asked for the proper mechanic.

He was then told by someone that there is no such thing in Little League baseball. That person was wrong.

Then he was told by the Grand Puba Of All Who Umpire that he should go invest in a rule book, where, of course, he cannot possibly find the answer to his question.

Perhaps maybe he would like just a good example of an accepted mechanic for this play. Hmmmmmmm?????

Dan,

Just give the physical strike 3 mechanic of your choosing, then make a safe motion with your arms while saying, "No Catch!" Then, if there is no R3, trail the play up the 1st base line (straddling the grass/dirt) and watch for swipe tag/pulled foot. On uncaught 3rd strikes with 1st base occupied with less than 2 outs, simply give the physical strike 3 signal, with a verbal "batter's out" or "he's out" to avoid confusion.

Now, this is probably not the "official" mechanic, and other umpires will do it differently, and no doubt tell me I'm full of crap, etc. This is but one good method that works, and will not end up like the Eddings fiasco of 2005.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 12:12am.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Tonight, Eddie Rap did the "no catch" mechanic after signaling a swing on strike three. He did it it swiftly and compactly. IMHO, it was good, crisp communication.

I am biased here, but I thought Rap did a superb plate job on Sunday's NYY/BOS marathon.

Ace
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Gee, I feel left out. I gave the answer to the poor guy and all you people can do is talk about each other! Tisk-tisk-tisk! That's not being nice!!

Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Gee, I feel left out. I gave the answer to the poor guy and all you people can do is talk about each other! Tisk-tisk-tisk! That's not being nice!!

You didn't give him the answer; you just said the PU signals strike and the BU "does his thing."

San Diego Steve is the one who, FINALLY, gave the kid an actual answer to his actual question.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If by "uninitiated", you must mean someone that sees you for the pompous jerk that you are. Yep...that's me! Uninitiated!

Joe

I note that you didn't explain the 'mechanic' to our buddy either...too busy getting your skirt in knots over Tee?

(and posting the Eddings clip doesn't count....Dan won't have any idea what went wrong).

Tee has never shyed away from accusations of 'pompous' and 'arrogant'. They are a badge of honor.

Why waste bandwidth on something everyone already knows? Why not spend your time mentoring this other lost soul?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I note that you didn't explain the 'mechanic' to our buddy either...too busy getting your skirt in knots over Tee?

(and posting the Eddings clip doesn't count....Dan won't have any idea what went wrong).

Tee has never shyed away from accusations of 'pompous' and 'arrogant'. They are a badge of honor.

Why waste bandwidth on something everyone already knows? Why not spend your time mentoring this other lost soul?
You're right. I should have answered Young Dan's question. The JIC made me angry the way he jumped on the kid.

SDSteve has done a fine job answering the question.

Joe
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Dan,

Just give the physical strike 3 mechanic of your choosing, then make a safe motion with your arms while saying, "No Catch!" Then, if there is no R3, trail the play up the 1st base line (straddling the grass/dirt) and watch for swipe tag/pulled foot. On uncaught 3rd strikes with 1st base occupied with less than 2 outs, simply give the physical strike 3 signal, with a verbal "batter's out" or "he's out" to avoid confusion.

Now, this is probably not the "official" mechanic, and other umpires will do it differently, and no doubt tell me I'm full of crap, etc. This is but one good method that works, and will not end up like the Eddings fiasco of 2005.
I would not give a safe signal in this situation. I would do anything. I also do not like the punch or "out" mechanic as my strike. I think the safe mechanic puts you in a bind. I would let the play go and if I clearly do not have a catch I will not "out" the batter. If a catcher is unsure, they should tag the batter and most of this is over. The Edding's situation was much more about what the catcher did than what the umpire called. If the catcher would have just tagged the batter, much of what had happen would have never taken place.

Peace