The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Please help me out with what I think can be a very awkward play for an umpire: checked swing on a ball in the dirt. What is the most efficient way to handle this situation ?
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Be very careful

Quickly signal strike and point to the ground with your right hand.

Everybody on defense will think you helped the batter get to first base.
Everbody on offense will think you quickly called a strike on a ball into the dirt.
It appears everybody will be happy because they now know exactly what to do.

Yet nobody will be happy with your right-handed mechanics.

Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

The ball in the dirt is irrelevant. You either believe he swung or he didn't. I would point and say "YES HE DID" if I thought he swung. If it is the third strike and first base is empty or if there are two outs, you will have a dropped third strike. The batter will know to run and the defense will know to play on him. If you don't think he swung, say "BALL". Chances are you will get a request for an appeal from the catcher. You check with your partner and go from there.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I should clarify my earlier reply. If there is a question of the ball being in the dirt and you believe there was a swing, say "YES HE DID" AND POINT down. If the catcher tries to hold it up as a catch, say "BALL DOWN" and give him the chance to make a play.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'd also add that if the PU rules the batter didn't swing, PU should immediately appeal to BU.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

one piece of advice: learn from the doug eddings situation on a third strike not caught. while we are still in the preseason; think about what signal set you use and think about the possible situations coming out of the original post, along with the hand signals/verbalizations you would use for them. eliminate any confusion if you can.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I should add that I meant to pose this question in the situation where the pitch may or may not be strike 3. Most of you understood that, I think. Thanks for the responses. I guess my main question is, if I do not think the batter swung, and the ball caroms off the catcher, the batter is sort of doing a dance like he may or may not decide to run to first - do I IMMEDIATELY appeal to the BU ? Mr. Jenkins says yes.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

in the situation you just talked about, i'm on bob's side. ask right away.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Why would I appeal my own call of swing or no swing? Wait for the defense to appeal. Don't start laying your calls on your partner.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think the reason would be to try and prevent a problem, such as: no call on the swing, runner takes off, catcher thrown the ball down the rf line, etc. then an appeal is requested after all that. That's a mess.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
OT,

The fact that the BR is heading to first must mean that this was a "dropped third strike". This is when you must get the call right, quickly, or all holy hells bells will break loose. I go to my partner, ASAP, without appeal on these.

On a dropped 1st or 2nd strike, the need for speed is negated. Then you would go to your partner on appeal, if you feel you need help (FED), or automatically (OBR).

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ump1955
Why would I appeal my own call of swing or no swing? Wait for the defense to appeal. Don't start laying your calls on your partner.
in order to prevent mass confusion, world war III, etc.

if im the BU and this situation comes up, id be ready to give my side of the story right away in order to keep coaches in the dugout and their words in their mouths.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ump1955
The ball in the dirt is irrelevant. You either believe he swung or he didn't. I would point and say "YES HE DID" if I thought he swung. If it is the third strike and first base is empty or if there are two outs, you will have a dropped third strike. The batter will know to run and the defense will know to play on him. If you don't think he swung, say "BALL". Chances are you will get a request for an appeal from the catcher. You check with your partner and go from there.
The fact that the ball is in the dirt is VERY relevant. Think about the ALCS series and the play with Podsednik.

The problem is mostly likely going to arise as a result of the umpire not making it clear as to whether the ball was caught in flight and NOT whether the batter swung or not ... as happened in the controversial play in the ALCS.

In that case, the umpire was very clear as to whether Podsednik swung or not but he was NOT clear as to whether the ball was caught by the catcher for the immediate out.

In light of that controversial play, every umpire should reevaluate their mechanics for a play like that - especially those umpires who use the hammer (and not the point) as their normal strike signal.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Let me ask you a question. If the batter had stood still and not checked his swing, would there have been a question on the pitch? The correct mechanic is for the umpire to make a decision and then the correct signal for the decision. In reference to the infamous World Series call, I believe the ump had a faulty mechanic- something he himself questioned in a later interview. The strike signal should not be the same as the out signal. But whatever mechanic is used, the key here is still whether or not the plate ump thought there was a swing. If not, the pitch is a ball. If yes, the pitch is a strike. Want to avoid problems with coaches? Don't complicate things. If the ump thinks there was a swing, say "YES HE DID". If there is a question on the ball hitting the dirt, say "BALL DOWN".

Keep something else in mind. Ballplayers are also supposed to know the rules and something about how to play the game, especially at the major league level. We teach Little League batters to run and catchers to throw the ball if there any question on a dropped third strike. If the Angels catcher had simply stood up and tagged AJ, we'd have nothing to talk about.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Correction

The strike mechanic is EXACTLY the same as the out mechanic. Back me up here pro school guys, but I am almost certain that is what is taught. Take a look at signal E on page 70 of the NFHS book.

The difference is in what we verbalize. Bad timing and poor salesmanship killed Eddings not bad mechanics.

As Randolph Duke said in Trading Places, "SELL, SELL, SELL"

D