Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
WWTB,

The situation I posed is materially different than waiting to hear if a batted ball is going to be ruled foul or not. In that case, there is no "better" thing to be doing, even if the ball eventually proves itself foul.

In the situation I posed, if the batter is already out, I want my catcher to take a shot at the R2 advancing to 3B. If the batter is not out and has become a runner, I want my catcher to take the "easy out" at 1B. I don't see why the umpire can't let everybody in on which it is. He's the only one who knows & he's not the only one with a legitimate reason to know.

I don't see any legitimate rationale for mechanics which keep this from the players when it's not obvious. I'm kind of "irked" by umpires who say "the players should know the situation" or "that's not how my evaluator does it".

MY players DO know the situation. They just don't know what YOU judged - because you didn't tell them and they can't read your mind. Maybe your evaluator should re-evaluate his mechanics.

JM
Put me down as with the Coach. Sheesh, so many are making this so hard just because there's no carved in stone, universally applied, black-and-white promulgated mechanic for filling the gap that was embarrassingly exposed with the Eddings incident.

What does a BU signal on a trouble fly ball that he judges to be uncaught? Safe signal, "no catch" verbal. Uncaught third strike is completely analogous, and the same mechanic works perfectly well. No muss, no fuss, no Eddings incident.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Put me down as with the Coach. Sheesh, so many are making this so hard just because there's no carved in stone, universally applied, black-and-white promulgated mechanic for filling the gap that was embarrassingly exposed with the Eddings incident.

What does a BU signal on a trouble fly ball that he judges to be uncaught? Safe signal, "no catch" verbal. Uncaught third strike is completely analogous, and the same mechanic works perfectly well. No muss, no fuss, no Eddings incident.
Thank you Dave - a perfect way to close this out.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Possible New Mechanic

Reading this thread over and wanted to introduce new info. Most readers have read about a new mechanic for a third strike not caught. Signal safe and verbalize no catch. Others disagree that a new signal is needed or that the new mechanic just hasn't gained universal acceptance.

I wanted to introduce a new and possible alternative. Hold 3 strikes up high with pinky ring and middle finger to alert both benches of the call and verbalize no catch. Let the resulting action lower your arm. It avoids the awkwardness of the safe signal after a strike. I like it.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 08:49pm.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Hold 3 strikes up high with pinky ring and middle finger to alert both benches of the call and verbalize no catch.
You indicate three strikes with two fingers? How many do you use to indicate two strikes?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
You indicate three strikes with two fingers? How many do you use to indicate two strikes?
I think you have to infer a comma between "pinky" and "ring."
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I think you have to infer a comma between "pinky" and "ring."
Ahhh. Being too literal again. My apologies.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Ahhh. Being too literal again. My apologies.
C'mon, everyone knows what the swirl the pinky ring in the air mechanic is. It means that you want the ball boy to bring you another between-inning glass of chardonnay. Or maybe a nice riesling.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Had to slap a ballboy once cuz he only put one olive in my martini. Two olives, boy! And keep 'em coming!