The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
double header

I'm watching the first game of the sox yankees double header and I was wondering if both crews were going to do the games, like we would if we were umpiring a double header. but apparently just the guys on the bases (West, Rapuano, and Hoye) are doing both games, the ump on the dish changed (Randazzo in the first, wolf for the second).

my question is, are most double headers handled that way? I assumed one of two things. 1. the crew would work both games and rotate or 2. a completly differant crew would work each game

joe
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think (but I'm not sure) that the same crew would would work both. In this case James Hoye is a AAA fill-in. Maybe Randazzo is leaving on vacation and Wolf is just returning from vacation?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the MLB policy for a doubleheader is to have the two plate umpires only work one game. So they call someone to fill in (in this case Hoye).
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
I'm watching the first game of the sox yankees double header and I was wondering if both crews were going to do the games, like we would if we were umpiring a double header. but apparently just the guys on the bases (West, Rapuano, and Hoye) are doing both games, the ump on the dish changed (Randazzo in the first, wolf for the second).

my question is, are most double headers handled that way? I assumed one of two things. 1. the crew would work both games and rotate or 2. a completly differant crew would work each game

Most Double headers are done this way. If they work the plate in either game they have the other game off. It is possible that Randazzo is going on vacation, but in other DHs I have seen it is done this way. I think they like to not have the PUs work only one end of the DH, but they don't mind having the umpires work the bases on both ends and the easiest way to make this happen is to bring up a AAA fill-in, rather than having a whole new crew.

(Note: this is not based on any solid fact, only the product of my observation and drawing conclusions)
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

I do believe it was said on tv once that for double headers they always carry a 5th umpire for the second game.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the MLB policy for a doubleheader is to have the two plate umpires only work one game. So they call someone to fill in (in this case Hoye).
Bingo. We have a winner.

Also, see the Oak-KC doubleheader, with Mike Muchlinski serving as the "5th umpire".
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to goyanksgonj Send a message via Yahoo to goyanksgonj
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Bingo. We have a winner.

Also, see the Oak-KC doubleheader, with Mike Muchlinski serving as the "5th umpire".
Well, that case is actually different. Barksdale, while now an official MLB umpire, is actually serving as the "5th umpire." The rest of the weekend, Muchlinski will be filling in for him.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:56pm

Yeah, I'll be thinking of these double-header plate umps next time I have a solo triple-dipper behind the dish!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yeah, I'll be thinking of these double-header plate umps next time I have a solo triple-dipper behind the dish!

my thoughts exactly steve

joe
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanksgonj
Well, that case is actually different. Barksdale, while now an official MLB umpire, is actually serving as the "5th umpire." The rest of the weekend, Muchlinski will be filling in for him.
We'll know for sure tomorrow. Fact of the matter is one of these guys is the 5th umpire, which is what the OP brought up.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

I guess it is a good thing for the plate guys that they give them the second game off, the yanks and the sox just finished the longest 9 inning game in MLB history
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 12:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
I guess it is a good thing for the plate guys that they give them the second game off, the yanks and the sox just finished the longest 9 inning game in MLB history
I am surprised that 4:45 is the record, it seems like it should be longer than that.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Wolf stepped in for Randazzano in the second game. The base umpires then rotated 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st, and 1st to 3rd.

Hoye is the call up, he worked 1st base the first game and then 3rd the next one. I wonder if he will stay up with the crew for a while, or if he was with them JUST for today.

Anyway, I guess West will be behind the plate tomarrow, quick turnaround for him!