The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   double header (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/27865-double-header.html)

ToGreySt Fri Aug 18, 2006 07:29pm

double header

I'm watching the first game of the sox yankees double header and I was wondering if both crews were going to do the games, like we would if we were umpiring a double header. but apparently just the guys on the bases (West, Rapuano, and Hoye) are doing both games, the ump on the dish changed (Randazzo in the first, wolf for the second).

my question is, are most double headers handled that way? I assumed one of two things. 1. the crew would work both games and rotate or 2. a completly differant crew would work each game

joe

ctblu40 Fri Aug 18, 2006 07:35pm

I think (but I'm not sure) that the same crew would would work both. In this case James Hoye is a AAA fill-in. Maybe Randazzo is leaving on vacation and Wolf is just returning from vacation?

Jay R Fri Aug 18, 2006 07:49pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the MLB policy for a doubleheader is to have the two plate umpires only work one game. So they call someone to fill in (in this case Hoye).

CJN Fri Aug 18, 2006 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToGreySt
I'm watching the first game of the sox yankees double header and I was wondering if both crews were going to do the games, like we would if we were umpiring a double header. but apparently just the guys on the bases (West, Rapuano, and Hoye) are doing both games, the ump on the dish changed (Randazzo in the first, wolf for the second).

my question is, are most double headers handled that way? I assumed one of two things. 1. the crew would work both games and rotate or 2. a completly differant crew would work each game

Most Double headers are done this way. If they work the plate in either game they have the other game off. It is possible that Randazzo is going on vacation, but in other DHs I have seen it is done this way. I think they like to not have the PUs work only one end of the DH, but they don't mind having the umpires work the bases on both ends and the easiest way to make this happen is to bring up a AAA fill-in, rather than having a whole new crew.

(Note: this is not based on any solid fact, only the product of my observation and drawing conclusions)

LLPA13UmpDan Fri Aug 18, 2006 07:57pm

I do believe it was said on tv once that for double headers they always carry a 5th umpire for the second game.

mattmets Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the MLB policy for a doubleheader is to have the two plate umpires only work one game. So they call someone to fill in (in this case Hoye).

Bingo. We have a winner.

Also, see the Oak-KC doubleheader, with Mike Muchlinski serving as the "5th umpire".

goyanksgonj Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmets
Bingo. We have a winner.

Also, see the Oak-KC doubleheader, with Mike Muchlinski serving as the "5th umpire".

Well, that case is actually different. Barksdale, while now an official MLB umpire, is actually serving as the "5th umpire." The rest of the weekend, Muchlinski will be filling in for him.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:56pm

Yeah, I'll be thinking of these double-header plate umps next time I have a solo triple-dipper behind the dish!;)

ToGreySt Fri Aug 18, 2006 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yeah, I'll be thinking of these double-header plate umps next time I have a solo triple-dipper behind the dish!;)

my thoughts exactly steve

joe

mattmets Fri Aug 18, 2006 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by goyanksgonj
Well, that case is actually different. Barksdale, while now an official MLB umpire, is actually serving as the "5th umpire." The rest of the weekend, Muchlinski will be filling in for him.

We'll know for sure tomorrow. Fact of the matter is one of these guys is the 5th umpire, which is what the OP brought up.

ToGreySt Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:55pm

I guess it is a good thing for the plate guys that they give them the second game off, the yanks and the sox just finished the longest 9 inning game in MLB history

SanDiegoSteve Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToGreySt
I guess it is a good thing for the plate guys that they give them the second game off, the yanks and the sox just finished the longest 9 inning game in MLB history

I am surprised that 4:45 is the record, it seems like it should be longer than that.

TussAgee11 Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:47am

Wolf stepped in for Randazzano in the second game. The base umpires then rotated 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st, and 1st to 3rd.

Hoye is the call up, he worked 1st base the first game and then 3rd the next one. I wonder if he will stay up with the crew for a while, or if he was with them JUST for today.

Anyway, I guess West will be behind the plate tomarrow, quick turnaround for him!