Thread: double header
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
I'm watching the first game of the sox yankees double header and I was wondering if both crews were going to do the games, like we would if we were umpiring a double header. but apparently just the guys on the bases (West, Rapuano, and Hoye) are doing both games, the ump on the dish changed (Randazzo in the first, wolf for the second).

my question is, are most double headers handled that way? I assumed one of two things. 1. the crew would work both games and rotate or 2. a completly differant crew would work each game

Most Double headers are done this way. If they work the plate in either game they have the other game off. It is possible that Randazzo is going on vacation, but in other DHs I have seen it is done this way. I think they like to not have the PUs work only one end of the DH, but they don't mind having the umpires work the bases on both ends and the easiest way to make this happen is to bring up a AAA fill-in, rather than having a whole new crew.

(Note: this is not based on any solid fact, only the product of my observation and drawing conclusions)