The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Just as Rich posted elsewhere that he's not a groundskeeper, I am not a bat-boy. Unless the bat is right on the line and there is time to clear it, I never touch a bat. It's a pet peeve of mine to see umpires playing bat boy, picking up bats and taking them over to the dugout after an inning change, and the like.

If a catcher is deliberately placing his headgear on or in front of the plate, I will kick it out of the way. Hard. To the backstop. I've never had to do it more than once in a game.
For all the folks after this original post, I do clear the bat when possible and necessary. Dave was making an analogy to my comment about replacing bases.

Once I picked up the bat and had it in my hand as the play at the plate happened quickly. I watched the play, tossed the bat, and punched the runner out. Way cool.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I can't remember the last time I didn't have time to clear a bat that is clearly in the way of a runner. If not in the way I don't worry about it.

I always taught my catchers (including my two sons) to wear their mask on plays at the plate. Why remove your face protection? Someone might want to run into you. The only time to take it off is on popups then hold it in your hand until the ball is located and toss it away from the direction you have to go to get the popup.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

1. "Catch - he might be coming, kick that bat outta there."

2. "Catch - Get that bat out of your way."

3. Watch the on deck batter clear it.

4. Use the side of your foot and PUSH it out of the way - that way you aren't bending down and can keep your head up. (The way I was taught in school.)

5. Forget about it - it's not your job to clear the bat! R3 and a high hopper to F4 - runner is off on contact and he is going to have to slide through the bat to get to the plate. Do you have time? No way, Jose...
Coach - Hey, Blue you gotta get that bat outta the way.
Me - Why?
Coach - Ain't no way he can be safe with it laying there.
Me - Okay.
Coach - So, what are you gonna do about it?
Me - (as I'm dusting the dish off)
I'll show up at your next practice and teach your batters where to
toss their bats. I get $60 an hour and I only take cash.

If you want to bend over, go ahead, but even the Big Dogs don't pick up bats any more. They use the foot wedge when the on-deck or bat boy is sleeping or when time demands. That is another reason we wear steel toed shoes.

By the way, if a catcher tosses his mask/HSM up the baseline, ignore it the first time. When he gets back to his position and there is no batter around, tell him to knock it off. If he does it again and you have time (and the inclination to piss off the guy protecting you from that fastball) kick it out of the way, but do it hard. He'll get the picture and enough people will see what is happening to prevent a s-storm from occurring.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:44am
Veteran College Umpire

If the bat is in the way and I have time, I will pick it up and hold it. Usually there will be no play at the plate, and I will hand it to the next batter or the guy who is scoring (with no play). If a play develops, I will toss the bat out of everyone's way - not very far, just out of the way.
I don't like kicking it because it can scuff my (very expensive!) plate shoes. If I'm going to expend the energy to pick it up, and I hold onto it, it lessens my chances of plunking someone with it. That darn liability thing...

JJ
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Good to hear from you JJ - hope your enjoying your summer!
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
If the bat is in the way and I have time, I will pick it up and hold it. Usually there will be no play at the plate, and I will hand it to the next batter or the guy who is scoring (with no play). If a play develops, I will toss the bat out of everyone's way - not very far, just out of the way.
I don't like kicking it because it can scuff my (very expensive!) plate shoes. If I'm going to expend the energy to pick it up, and I hold onto it, it lessens my chances of plunking someone with it. That darn liability thing...

JJ
I guess I'll never understand why an umpire feels the need to do this. If there is no play at the plate, you don't need to remove the bat!!!

If a play develops and you are compelled to clear it because the catcher can't or won't, you should remember rule number one of umpiring - don't take your eyes off of the ball! Your foot wedge is the most competent tool for this because you don't have to look down, even for an instant. While you may scuff your shoes, it is far better than being hit by a thrown ball or lose sight of the play because you want to look like a bat boy. I don't believe anyone suggested picking it up and "plunking" someone with it, but we've all had our moments. Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mmmmm,

"If a play develops and you are compelled to clear it because the catcher can't or won't, you should remember rule number one of umpiring - don't take your eyes off of the ball! Your foot wedge is the most competent tool for this because you don't have to look down, even for an instant. While you may scuff your shoes, it is far better than being hit by a thrown ball or lose sight of the play because you want to look like a bat boy. I don't believe anyone suggested picking it up and "plunking" someone with it, but we've all had our moments. Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though."

I couldn't possible disagree with you more.

Regards,
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ

JJ
Ha Ha Ha I can just picture an umpire holding the bat in his right hand and OMG here comes the throw. The umpire goes to punch out the runner and clocks him with the bat! Ha Ha Ha

Moral of the story - leave the damn bat alone!
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"If a play develops and you are compelled to clear it because the catcher can't or won't, you should remember rule number one of umpiring - don't take your eyes off of the ball! Your foot wedge is the most competent tool for this because you don't have to look down, even for an instant. While you may scuff your shoes, it is far better than being hit by a thrown ball or lose sight of the play because you want to look like a bat boy. I don't believe anyone suggested picking it up and "plunking" someone with it, but we've all had our moments. Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though."

I couldn't possible disagree with you more.

Regards,
Which part was that -

"...don't take your eyes off the ball!"?

"...anyone suggested picking it up and 'plunking' someone with it..."?

"...Use whatever works for you..."?

"holding a bat while the ball is live makes him/her look like a novice..."?

Which professional school taught you that it was acceptable to handle playing equipment during live ball conditions?

I was taught to watch the ball - except on foul pop ups - and use my foot to 'push' the bat out of the way. I've watched more MLB games that I can recount and cannot recall a PU holding a bat during live action. Those are the gentlemen that I consider professional role models. But as I wrote, if you feel compelled to glance away from playing action in order to do the bat boy or on deck batter's job, have fun. If you dress like a professional umpire you may want to try to perform like one. That wasn't personal, as I'm sure you are competent. They are simply words that most rookies learn at school. Good night.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
He's Baaaaccccckkkkkk! chuckle, chuckle.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 11:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I guess I'll never understand why an umpire feels the need to do this. If there is no play at the plate, you don't need to remove the bat!!!

If a play develops and you are compelled to clear it because the catcher can't or won't, you should remember rule number one of umpiring - don't take your eyes off of the ball! Your foot wedge is the most competent tool for this because you don't have to look down, even for an instant. While you may scuff your shoes, it is far better than being hit by a thrown ball or lose sight of the play because you want to look like a bat boy. I don't believe anyone suggested picking it up and "plunking" someone with it, but we've all had our moments. Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though.
Could not agree more! Being a long-time golfer-turned-hacker, I'm very familiar with how to use the foot wedge!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Sorry

WWTB noted:

"Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though."

Ozzy wrote:

"I can just picture an umpire holding the bat in his right hand and OMG here comes the throw."

Last night while I was tooling around I went to SportsCenter and watched highlights from last nights games.

In the Twins game:

r2 and a single to center. As r2 scored the highlight showed PU Paul Schrieber holding the bat in his hand. As r2 scored he handed the bat to the runner.

ANY umpire can clear a bat the "correct" way and should (if at all possible). Your eyes NEVER leave the ball if you simply squat like a catcher with the bat on the ground between your legs -- with your chin "up" and eyes on the ball you reach down, without looking, grab the bat and slide it backwards between your legs (somewhat like a center snap that never leaves the ground).

This is how it was taught at professional umpire school in the "good old days" and is evident if you watch the senior umpires at the MLB level.

WWTB sorry that I did not identify the exact statement that I took such umbrage too.

Regards,
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is how it was taught at professional umpire school in the "good old days" and is evident if you watch the senior umpires at the MLB level.
It's still taught this way at pro school, as Tee knows.

I would emphasize that pro instruction is to clear the bat only when doing so won't interfere with your duties. Clearing the bat is a courtesy, and as such low priority.

I doubt, btw, that you'll ever see a MLB PU holding the bat during a play at the plate. The play Tee describes was a routine scoring chance with no play imminent.

We all know that MLB is not always the best place to go for our mechanics...
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
WWTB noted:

"Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though."

Ozzy wrote:

"I can just picture an umpire holding the bat in his right hand and OMG here comes the throw."

Last night while I was tooling around I went to SportsCenter and watched highlights from last nights games.

In the Twins game:

r2 and a single to center. As r2 scored the highlight showed PU Paul Schrieber holding the bat in his hand. As r2 scored he handed the bat to the runner.

ANY umpire can clear a bat the "correct" way and should (if at all possible). Your eyes NEVER leave the ball if you simply squat like a catcher with the bat on the ground between your legs -- with your chin "up" and eyes on the ball you reach down, without looking, grab the bat and slide it backwards between your legs (somewhat like a center snap that never leaves the ground).

WWTB sorry that I did not identify the exact statement that I took such umbrage too.

Regards,
I've seen a ML umpire with a bat in his hand during a play at the plate. He watched the play, tossed the bat the the side, and punched the runner out.

It's amazing how much we argue over trivial things. I move the bat if I have a chance and deem it necessary. Big deal -- nobody's watching me at that point anyway.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Point taken...

If you feel the need to do the player's or bat boy's job, have fun doing it.

If you don't remove the bat and the player slides into it, then what? NOTHING!!!

You are not charged with or mandated to provide a safe, obstruction free playing environment while playing action occurs. The bat was put there by a member of the offensive team. If it impedes his teammate, so be it. If the throw is deflected off of it, so be it - that's baseball. What happens when you pick it up, slide it back and the off line throw now hits it and deflects into the dugout? What if the on deck batter isn't looking and you slide it back, he steps on it and breaks an ankle? C'mon...you guys should know better than this.

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE PLAYING EQUIPMENT DURING LIVE BALL ACTION!

BTW, as it was described by T. was not how it was taught at B-F years ago. We were shown the foot wedge - and only when necessary. Both of those guys still subscribe to that mechanic and they are responsible for a whole legion of professional umpires. Maybe Evans and Wendlestedt are teaching the bend and reach...how come Hunter doesn't do it then? Neither did his father.
Closed Thread