View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Sorry

WWTB noted:

"Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though."

Ozzy wrote:

"I can just picture an umpire holding the bat in his right hand and OMG here comes the throw."

Last night while I was tooling around I went to SportsCenter and watched highlights from last nights games.

In the Twins game:

r2 and a single to center. As r2 scored the highlight showed PU Paul Schrieber holding the bat in his hand. As r2 scored he handed the bat to the runner.

ANY umpire can clear a bat the "correct" way and should (if at all possible). Your eyes NEVER leave the ball if you simply squat like a catcher with the bat on the ground between your legs -- with your chin "up" and eyes on the ball you reach down, without looking, grab the bat and slide it backwards between your legs (somewhat like a center snap that never leaves the ground).

This is how it was taught at professional umpire school in the "good old days" and is evident if you watch the senior umpires at the MLB level.

WWTB sorry that I did not identify the exact statement that I took such umbrage too.

Regards,