View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
If the bat is in the way and I have time, I will pick it up and hold it. Usually there will be no play at the plate, and I will hand it to the next batter or the guy who is scoring (with no play). If a play develops, I will toss the bat out of everyone's way - not very far, just out of the way.
I don't like kicking it because it can scuff my (very expensive!) plate shoes. If I'm going to expend the energy to pick it up, and I hold onto it, it lessens my chances of plunking someone with it. That darn liability thing...

JJ
I guess I'll never understand why an umpire feels the need to do this. If there is no play at the plate, you don't need to remove the bat!!!

If a play develops and you are compelled to clear it because the catcher can't or won't, you should remember rule number one of umpiring - don't take your eyes off of the ball! Your foot wedge is the most competent tool for this because you don't have to look down, even for an instant. While you may scuff your shoes, it is far better than being hit by a thrown ball or lose sight of the play because you want to look like a bat boy. I don't believe anyone suggested picking it up and "plunking" someone with it, but we've all had our moments. Use whatever works for you; an umpire holding a bat while the ball is live just makes him/her look like a novice though.