The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

where does it state in the rule book that after a 2 shot foul the kids line up to shoot, bang a "T" is called, why do you clear the lane to shoot the first 2 shots then the "T". Had a coach say his kids shoot better with team mates on the line??? he understands the "T" but not the shooting foul. Coach wanted his kids on the line for his first 2 shots???
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting--not sure where in rules it says you clear the lane--just practical. Interested in what others say.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

The coach knows better than this. My question is who cares if his kids shoot better when someone is on the line?

The rules are clear that if the ball is to become dead after the FT's then no one lines up on the lane. I dont have the site- someone will get the exact reference. NFHS,NCAA, and NBA rules are all consistent.

Ask your self.. why would I line them up then just to clear them away?

Maybe the coach need to teach his kids how to shoot FT. The basket doesnt change distances or heights just because there are no players lined up.

Seems to me he is trying to question you to see what he can get you to do...
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by runningwild
where does it state in the rule book that after a 2 shot foul the kids line up to shoot, bang a "T" is called, why do you clear the lane to shoot the first 2 shots then the "T".
See NFHS rule 8-1-3. Also see case book play 8.1.3SitA(c). You clear the lane for a "T" because that rule says that you have to.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 26th, 2005 at 01:23 PM]
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Easy JR.... I'm just asking!!!! I was asked and it caught me be surprise, and I'm one to tell a coach "I really don't know why but I'll find out" not because I said so now play ball!!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by runningwild
Easy JR.... I'm just asking!!!! I was asked and it caught me be surprise, and I'm one to tell a coach "I really don't know why but I'll find out" not because I said so now play ball!!
What are you talking about-"easy,JR"? You asked where you could find the appropriate citation in the rule book. I looked it up for you. That's it. No more- no less. In the future when you ask "where does it state in the rule book?", would you rather I just ignore your question? Don't matter to me, one way or t'other.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
The rule says that you are to clear the lane if the ball is to become dead after the last shot...

Because the T shots come after the other shots the ball is becoming dead...thus you clear the lane for all four.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

ART. 3 . . . If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane.