The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Because I'm an umpire, not a groundskeeper. I thought I had already covered this.

Are you serious?
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaBlue
Are you serious?
I agree with Rich. It might depend on the age of tha participants or the local custom, though.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Because I'm an umpire, not a groundskeeper. I thought I had already covered this.
I've never really thought of this before, that being said, I kinda like Rich's style on this one. But I do have a question for you Rich:

Suppose the base breaks away, and the coach is yelling from the dugout, "Hey blue, the base is off."
Do you ignore him?
Do you tell him to fix it?
Do you tell a player to take care of it?

Aren't you running the risk of being perceived as a red a$$?
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

It just seems lazy as hell to me. If I can get the base back on and the game going in 30 seconds, why would I wait 5 minutes for somebody to go get a groundskeeper to fix it? I'm not too good to help out.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It just seems lazy as hell to me. If I can get the base back on and the game going in 30 seconds, why would I wait 5 minutes for somebody to go get a groundskeeper to fix it? I'm not too good to help out.
Whenever this happens to me, the coach (es) always run out and reattach the bag. I don't plan to get on my hands and knees and fiddle with bases when there are coaches to do it.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are 3 "groundkeepers" right by the base (the runner, F4 and F6 -- it usually happens at second), and a dozen more sitting in the home team dugout.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
There are 3 "groundkeepers" right by the base (the runner, F4 and F6 -- it usually happens at second), and a dozen more sitting in the home team dugout.
And if they all held the same opinion as the high-and-mighty umpire? That they're players/coaches and not groundskeepers?
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And if they all held the same opinion as the high-and-mighty umpire? That they're players/coaches and not groundskeepers?
AFAIK, it's the home team's responsibility to make (and keep) the field ready for play.

It's never been an issue, for me.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most of the time they are groundskeepers. Ever show up early enought to see the field getting prepped and bases laid out? Ever look back at the field on your way to your car to see the infifield getting raked and dragged? Are those umpires doing that?
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Rotation, loose bases, masks but no moose knuckle

The dish guy on the Mid Atlantic game was ridiculous. The first putch I saw, he was in the outside slot (of there is such a nether region).

There was another regional final where the plate was done by Mr. Rip Maskandhatoff. Any foul ball near the plate, his sh&t came flying off. Best of all (I saw this only once) he took off his gear to APPEAL TO U1 ON A CHECKED SWING.

I have done LLSB at Regional level (both Majors and Seniors). I once had a daisy show up at one of these games ( I was PU) wearing off-white canvas shoes and sporting a jaunty red flag in her back pocket. She then proceeded to call an illegal pitch on the starter from Mass. ON THE PENULTIMATE PITCH OF THE GAME! So, LLSB WS ineptitude doesn't surprise me. I watched the WS a couple of years ago, only to see the Guinness Interplanetary Record for Highest Pitch Called a Strike. Gave new meaning to the term "cutthroat."

From my buds who have worked in Bristol: 3 base umps NEVER go out. They are instructed to get inside on every batted ball. Of course, this makes for a magnificent clusterf*ck. LF and RF umps have all catches, fence calls, etc.

I humbly think that most of the umps I've seen on the baselines make me look like a Biafran supermodel. Which is saying something.

Yes, I'm not a groundkepper. I get the kids to fix the bases. If it's really bad, I summon a coach, parent or groundkeeper. It's just not my job; plus I am cleaned, pressed and starched at every game.

Okay, I feel better now.

Ace
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Rip Maskandhatoff is too funny! And I'm not fixing your bases either! My knuckles will get all scraped up. I'll leave it for the rats.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
The dish guy on the Mid Atlantic game was ridiculous. The first pitch I saw, he was in the outside slot (of there is such a nether region).Ace
Here's part of email I received from Andy Konyar:

Glad you enjoyed the game and your friend "who should know" doesn't know what he is talking about. While some clinicians in some areas want a foul called out loudly, LL does not dictate that they do it that way. Just like in any other program, some personal preferences get relayed to those attending

We stand corrected.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 10:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
And if either team isn't responsible for dragging, picking up bases and general maintenance after a game..........

That must be one long stare down.

What happened to WWTB? I need to hear his "Paul Harvey" voice of logic.

Even a Rutism would make better sense than some of these "ramble ons".
You should talk. This post of yours makes it seem like you've had one too many to drink.

Fix the field if you want. I don't chase foul balls and I don't do groundskeeping (that includes brushing bases or pitcher's plates). I'm paid to umpire.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

I don't replace bases, rake Diamond Dry and spread Turface on wet spots...
I don't mend fencing/windscreens or hammer in stakes that are above the ground...

I choose not to do these things because I've been under the impression that doing so may expose me to a liability I just don't need. While I am an umpire and consider myself above groundskeeping chores, I abstain from these things because other people are in charge of those duties.

While it can certainly keep a game from grinding to a halt, my replacing a dislodged base most certainly exposes me to a potential lawsuit. Imagine a player slides into that base and claims that his fingers were broken because I had not anchored it flat to the ground. Beyond that, I had called time, fixed the base and then announced "Play" when I thought the conditions were safe. Many P.I. attorneys would love to have me do that.

We have enough repsonsibility out there and need to dodge enough traps along the way to games' end. Looking for more trouble, even if your intentions were good, does not absolve you of culpability.

G'day (in my best Paul Harvey voice).
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 01:04am

And now you know...the rest of the story!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25