The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Retired batter Interference

Thought I had this one straight from reading here ... but maybe not.

R1 stealing 2nd... Batter swings hard and misses at strike three, and falls over the plate, colliding with catcher, who then throws poorly to 2nd base due to the contact.

Ruling?
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

mcrowder,

R1 is out due to the interference of his "just retired" teammate under OBR. Any other runners return.

Under FED, the umpire must judge that the catcher "would have" retired the R1 absent the interference in order to rule him out. If the umpire judges the catcher had no chance to retire the stealing runner, the runner is NOT out, but must return to his TOP base.

(Ref.: BRD #266)

JM
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Under FED, the umpire must judge that the catcher "would have" retired the R1 absent the interference in order to rule him out. If the umpire judges the catcher had no chance to retire the stealing runner, the runner is NOT out, but must return to his TOP base.
That's an easy decision.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=CoachJM]mcrowder,

R1 is out due to the interference of his "just retired" teammate under OBR. Any other runners return.

(Ref.: BRD #266)

Under Fed if it's strike three and the batter interferes the runners attempting to steal (this will always be my judgement) will be out. If it's not strike three I may or may not call the runner out.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
. If it's not strike three I may or may not call the runner out.
If its not strike three, what rule are you using to call the runner out? In all codes, if there is batters interference, the batter is called out for his actions, the runneres return to TOP bases.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
If its not strike three, what rule are you using to call the runner out? In all codes, if there is batters interference, the batter is called out for his actions, the runneres return to TOP bases.
As per high schools if you feel the batter interfering with the catcher prevented the runner from being thrown out the runner can be called out as well. Judgement call by PU.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

gordon30307,

As per high school rules, if the batter is not already out and the runner is not attempting to advance to home, there is no basis in the rules for calling the runner out.

Calling the runner out in such a case would NOT be a "judgment call", it would be a gross (and protestable) misapplication of the rules.

BTW, I have no issue with you (and, I believe DG) suggesting that, in your judgment, the catcher always would have had a chance to retire the stealing runner absent the batter's interference.

JM
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
gordon30307,

BTW, I have no issue with you (and, I believe DG) suggesting that, in your judgment, the catcher always would have had a chance to retire the stealing runner absent the batter's interference.

JM
Not if there has been some sort of bobble, or F1 for some reason pitched from the windup (seen it done too often).
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As per high schools if you feel the batter interfering with the catcher prevented the runner from being thrown out the runner can be called out as well. Judgement call by PU.
Hmmm.... I've never heard of this. Can you back this up with a specific rule from the NFHS book?
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I do know in FED in this situation if the runner is put out to not kill the play. Not exactly sure in other rule sets.
This is the same in all codes. If the throw doesn't result in a runner being put out, the ball becomes dead at that point, and the batter is declared out.

Rember that the ball should be killed immediately when the stealing runner makes it safely into the base he's attempting.

For example- No count, R1 stealing. Batter interferes with F2, and F2's throw goes over 2nd base and into centerfield. PU should call time as soon as R1 touches 2nd base safely. R1 is returned to first base, BR out for interference.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Nope

"As per high schools if you feel the batter interfering with the catcher prevented the runner from being thrown out the runner can be called out as well. Judgement call by PU."

This is an incorrect statement under NFHS rules.

It is also incorrect in grammar usage.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Tue Aug 15, 2006 at 03:58pm.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I think you misunderstood. If the catcher makes the play on the runner from third, ignore the interference. Ball is live and in play. Do not kill the play, they may have a chance at a another possible out or potential for making an error and allowing the offense an advantage. Interference and no play on runner in this situation, dead ball, runner out, all other runners return.

In your example which is a delayed dead ball, the rule doesn't say to kill the ball immediately. Center fielder could pick up the ball and throw the runner out advancing to third. You can always return runner to first when action ceases. I would wait until the play finishes since it is a delayed dead call.

Remember delayed dead ball..........

I am talking about FED which is what I predominately do.
I was thinkink OBR.

However, if you read the delayed dead ball table carefully, activity 1 states,"Interference by batter when attempted put out is on a runner other than at home." And Awards or Penalties 1 reads, "With two out, batter is out. Otherwise, if attempt on runner is unsuccessful, ball is dead, batter is out, and runners return. If third strike, batter is out and umpire can call a second out." (Rule 5-1-2a)
My emphasis.

I see this as saying that as soon as the attempt is unsuccessful, the ball becomes dead.

What do some of you big dogs think? Am I thinking in line with OBR too much?
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
You got it for OBR. Fed 7-3-5 for the third strike sitch.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Batter is out and runners return with runners on second and first and the ball is a delayed dead ball call. Let the runner run until all action ceases. If he is put out at a succeeding base, ignore the interference. If he advances past second or third. Return him to first or second. Less than two outs runner from third and BI, runner is DECLARED out and ball is immediately dead. Two outs, batter is always out in both situation.
I don't think you're reading this rule correctly. If the runner is attempting second or third, as soon as the attempt on the runner is unsuccessful, ball is dead, batter is out, and runners return. The text in bold is directly out of the FED dead/delayed dead ball table. I guess the question then is when should PU kill the play. I think as soon as the attempt to put out the stealing runner fails.

For example, R1 stealing, throw into center field. R1 hops up and advances to third or home with possible plays at either base. If you're just going to send him back to first anyway, why all the unnecessary running and throwing?
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Huh? This is wrong on multiple levels.

First, I don't feel batters whether they are interfering with the catcher or not.

Secondly, this is not, in any regard, a correct statement concerning the FED rule.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 12:38am.